Jeep Wrangler Sub-woofer Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Jeep Wrangler Sub-woofer Installation

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Osunday
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Wrangler Sub-woofer Installation

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and car audio in general, I'm 17 so im lacking in experience and knowledge

My car is a 2 door '03 Jeep Wrangler, I've Replaced the Stock stereo with a Clarion CZ500 Stereo and the stock speakers with 3-Way Coaxial Pioneer 4x6's and modified the overhead enclosure to fit 4-Way Coaxial 6.5 Pioneers.

(I just bought a hard top to replace the soft top which should increase sound quality through reverb since it'll be sealed now and not just covered by fabric)

I bought this center console since my jeep lacked one and I was interested in a sub since the bass is severely lacking,
I'm looking for help with wiring through the cars firewall, precautions to take, installation instructions if anyone knows anything (with a jeep or my particular car would be even more help)

If anyone has any advice for equalizer settings, sub settings etc on how to optimize my sound and also any advice on mounting the sub-woofer into the center console (its designed for an 6inch sub but will fit up to 8 inches with new holes drilled)

Thank you for any help anyone has to offer!

Links-

To Center Speaker Console:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14129_0XX_PG.htm

To Stereo:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...392953332.html
To Subwoofer:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ount/TS-SW841D

Amplifier:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...393097609.html

Wiring Installation Kit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q6DLTK/ref=oh_o01_s00_i02_details

Osunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

I'm 17 as well, and I've replaced all stereo components in my WJ I have yet to add a sub, but I had 2 in my old WJ.

Since you have a wrangler, space is at a minimum. If you want your speakers to sound great, I'd suggest getting a 5 ch amplifier. This will run all 4 speakers plus a sub. It also makes it easy to run RCA's to your amp from your head unit. If you don't want to do that, a mono amp will be just fine. The 5ch is a bit more expensive, but it'll make your speakers sound great.

I'd also suggest getting a JL Audio sub instead of a Pioneer. An 8" sub is weak in some people's minds, but I've read reviews of a JL Audio 8" sub that sounded like 2 10's. Trust me, you're gonna want that JL when your friends are blown away and ask about your subs, and you tell them it's one 8. I've never heard them personally, but I've heard only good things about JL Audio.

On my WJ there is a factory grommet on the driver's side that I ran my 4 AWG wire through to my amp. The power wire is laying across the engine bay, but it has caused 0 problems for me and for my last Jeep. Idk where the grommet is on your TJ, but it's easiest to run it through the factory grommet in the firewall, or you can drill a new hole if you wish.

As far as equalizer settings go, here is what I do: I set the equalizer settings to flat (+/- 0 on all Hz settings) and listen to a few songs. If I feel like a certain Hz setting is lacking in the songs, I'll bump it up a few decibels. Nothing too extreme, just make it sound good in your ears.

I've drilled holes under my rear seat to mount my power distribution block, and it scared me at first (drilling holes in my fresh WJ ) but I got through it. The center console may have instructions for drilling new holes, but if not, just line up the holes when you get your new sub and drill away.

Hope I could be of some help! Good luck!
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The problem with a 5ch amp is it limits ability to upgrade. Also if it fails you limit your ability to replace on a budget. You have room for improvement in those speakers and headunit. 5.25" will fit in the dash an give greater clarity. If you're going to amp them, I recommend a standard 2 way coaxial.

You're going to need an enclosure for the sub. You don't just screw a subwoofer inside the metal. That center console is designed to work with the oem factory sub box. Do you have it? If so refer to the thread for replacing the speaker.

Settings are going to depend on the model for the speakers, your ear, the wiring, etc. you'll have to play with it. For a sub...You want to properly set the gain on the amp, the crossover can be set to the subwoofers Frequency low range. If you add a sub turn your bass lower or add a high pass filter (turn it on if a hu setting), to save your speakers from distortion, let the su. Handle the lows.

Polyfil behind the speakers will disperse the backwave and give you a little more midbass. Dynamat/sound deadener will help too.
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
chadito99

I just turned 18 in November and have put a sound system in my 01 wrangler I have a dual head unit Sony 4x6 kicker 5.25 and 6x9 the 6x9 I mounted on my insta trunk and I also have the sub in the center console it is a kicker 6 in and then the best part I have a 12 in kicker sub in my rear seat so it takes up no space and I still have my rear seat. If you want pics I will upload some later
chadito99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadito99
I just turned 18 in November and have put a sound system in my 01 wrangler I have a dual head unit Sony 4x6 kicker 5.25 and 6x9 the 6x9 I mounted on my insta trunk and I also have the sub in the center console it is a kicker 6 in and then the best part I have a 12 in kicker sub in my rear seat so it takes up no space and I still have my rear seat. If you want pics I will upload some later
Mix-matching sub sizes can cause separation...it should sound better without the center sub. The extra set of speakers is probably causing cancellation. Stick with a 4 speaker setup...if you need it louder/clearer upgrade the speakers and/or add an amp.
Unread 02-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Osunday
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Okay just to clarify I've already purchased everything I posted links too, I'm looking for installation help/instructions,
possibly a little tut even though I have the general Idea down the thing I'm most inexperienced with is routing through the firewall (but I'll look for a grommet/opening)

Yeah I'm considering 5.25's in the dash but it really sounds good as is, and I have polyfill in all speaker enclosures but dynamat is out of my price range. Another thing is it wouldn't be the best idea to amplify these speakers since their RMS is almost reached by the built in amp in the receiver, plus amplifying coaxials is known to cause distortion or have a negative impact on the tweeters from the vibrations produced from the bass cone.

@gily25 My jeep didn't have a factory sub installed at all, so there was no sub box or amplifier built in, this was another thing I was confused about because the area in the center console I purchased for the sub is not sealed, its open air.

Should I research purchasing a stock sub box, or some DIY methods/builds (anyone know of any?)

(Also to reiterate everything I've linked too I already own and have purchased)

Thanks for everything so far, hearing about yalls specific builds is really interesting
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Osunday
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone know the dimensions of the stock jeep sub box?
Looks like im gonna have to build one
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
lowxtreme
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/8...inside-257123/
lowxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firewall , installation , subwoofer , wiring , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.