Jeep wont start, click, or turn over. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Jeep wont start, click, or turn over.

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
BadCo1989

Jeep wont start, click, or turn over.

I've had this problem before where my Jeep wouldn't start. I drive a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Everything turns on. Lights etc. the fuel pump pumps in the on position. But. When I go to start it it does nothing. The battery is good and I brought a screw driver to the starter and it sparks. What could the issue be and what should I check?

BadCo1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would pull the starter. If you jumped the solenoid and it did nothing then something in it has gone south.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
BadCo1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350
I would pull the starter. If you jumped the solenoid and it did nothing then something in it has gone south.

Sent from my phone
Thanks mate. My uncle said the same thing. I'm gonna get a starter tomorrow and throw it in there. Hopefully that's it so I don't have to spend more money.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
awful2

Try putting in neutral and start...if it starts while in neutral it's a bad neutral Safty switch on trans linkage
awful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, put her in neutral and wiggle the shifter as you try to start.

You got sparks with the screwdriver, but did the starter turn or not ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
BadCo1989

Just got it started gents/ladies, I don't know you people personally. The problem was corrosion on all the negative grounds. I got the starter tested and it was strong. I brushed all the negative grounds and made them nice and shiny and now it starts better than it did before. Thanks for the help. I will definitely remember your opinions in the future if I ever have this issue again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.