Jeep Tj Speaker upgrade Recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Jeep Tj Speaker upgrade Recommendations

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
SXT15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Tj Speaker upgrade Recommendations

hey guys im planning on upgrading all my speakers in my 1999 Jeep TJ.

What do you guys Recommend for speaker options?
Also what decks do you guys recommend?

SXT15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

are you planning on adding an amp as well?
higher quality speakers can sound worse than your stock ones if they are not properly amplified. and no, a new deck will not push enough power
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would get a set of later (03-06) dash sound pods and put 4" speakers in them. If they still have the original speakers in them, they will also have 6db hi pass filter. Using the adapter plates puts the tweeter behind the dash and does not seal the backside.Most 6 1/2's will fit in your soundbar. Just make sure that they have the proper screw holes in the frames. Look up Julietkilo and he has some posts about stereo upgrades. He knows his stuff and I bought his OEM sub box loaded with a Kicker 6" and it rocks pretty good.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

alpine "s" with a good amp behing them, they make sizes that fit in the stock locations. i love mine. either an alpine, rocksfordfosgate amp would be good
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
NalinMFG
1998 TJ Wrangler 

5.25s in the dash with 6.5s in the soundbar.

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
BLKWJLTD
2001 WJ 

As far as decks, hands down kenwood excelon. Im going to be getting this one soon. Has tons of features for the price and you can even find them cheaper on ebay. Plus has three sets of pre outs in case you amplify your speakers and later add a sub. As far as speakers. I would go with alpine type s. And I would definitely amplify them. You wont be disappointed.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-KDC-X395.html
BLKWJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For your stock receiver or aftermarket deck without an aux amplifier, the key to getting speakers that will sound good is to insure they are matched to the low power output by the OE receiver and any aftermarket deck. 18-22 or so watts (RMS) is about as much as any receiver or deck by itself puts out... not nearly enough power to drive all the possible speakers that can fit your TJ.

So as long as you keep this one specification in mind when buying speakers, you'll be happy with your choice... and that specification is called 'Sensitivity'. The higher the speaker's Sensitivity rating in dB (decibels), the better it will sound with a low power system. Stay with speakers that have AT LEAST 90 dB of Sensitivity and your system will be able to drive them to adequate sound levels to make most anyone happy. Lower Sensitivity than that and you'll have to turn the volume up so far that the amplifier will likely start sending a distorted signal to the speakers.

Speaker size-wise for the front, I would stick with a 5.25" round coaxial speaker up front, so buy 4x6" to 5.25" speaker adapter plates so you can mount them in the Jeep's front 4x6 opening. For the rear speakers, I'd go with 6.5" to replace the OE 5.25". Little or no modifications will be needed to mount the 6.5" speakers in the 5.25" openings because the speaker's shape will allow it to rest in the 5.25" opening and be held in place by screws and the cover.

Remember... speakers with a 90 or higher dB Sensitivity rating. Pay no attention to the speaker's wattage rating... a speaker that says 500 watts on the box is designed for a high power amplifier so it won't sound as good or as loud as a speaker rated to, perhaps, 125 watts that is designed for a lower power amplifier. The wattage rating only means how much power it can handle without blowing, not how loud it will be at a given power level as provided by the deck.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
SXT15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Okay think ive made up my mind for the speakers ill go with
Still deciding on an amp and deck....

Alpine SPS500
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016ASFE6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A32QR6D7S73KIup front

and for the soundbar
Alpine SPS-610C
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004THAWHG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=AGA6TQGCVMJU0
SXT15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't heard good things about the Alpine S-Type speakers. I also wouldn't bother with components in a Jeep. For an amp I have a Sony XM-4S installed under the steering column. It a great little amp that is super tiny, packs a punch, and is a good price. Couple installs of the Sony XM-4S:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...980#post154980

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/i...-pics-1285867/

For speakers I'm getting 5.25" Infinity Kappas up front and 6 3/4" Infinity Kappas in the back, but I've stripped my sound bar of padding and expect to do some trimming.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXT15 View Post
Okay think ive made up my mind for the speakers ill go with
Still deciding on an amp and deck....

Alpine SPS500
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A32QR6D7S73KI
up front

and for the soundbar
Alpine SPS-610C
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AGA6TQGCVMJU0
Those will only be suitable if you go with an auxillary amplifier. Their Sensitivity rating, 87 dB, is too low without a more powerful amplifier.

Unread 12-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hijack but this thread is very close to answering my question.

Looking for a pair of speakers for my sons 99TJ sound bar. Completely oem sound system at this point, Jeep goes topless and doorless several months at a time so he tries not to keep much of value in it.

Jerry, I looked for 6 1/4" speakers on crutchfield.com and didn't find any. I did find a pair of 5 1/4" with 93db sensitivity that would handle 2 - 35 watts with a maximum of 105 watts. Where is a good source for 6 1/4" or for an oem sound system are the 5 1/4" I found sufficient?

Thanks!
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj98

Looking for a pair of speakers for my sons 99TJ sound bar. Completely oem sound system at this point, Jeep goes topless and doorless several months at a time so he tries not to keep much of value in it.

Jerry, I looked for 6 1/4" speakers on crutchfield.com and didn't find any. I did find a pair of 5 1/4" with 93db sensitivity that would handle 2 - 35 watts with a maximum of 105 watts. Where is a good source for 6 1/4" or for an oem sound system are the 5 1/4" I found sufficient?

Thanks!
If you want to keep the stock for security reasons, you will need to go with a 5.25. Some 6.5" speakers have mounting holes in the frame that allow them to be installed in the jeep sound bar. Sony and Pioneer speakers that you can find at walmart are made this way. They are less than $40 a pair so if someone really wants them, you are out $40.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
NalinMFG
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj98 View Post

Thanks!
get whatever kind you want...then use tamper resistant screws to install.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#security-sh...screws/=f9i3y9

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
If you want to keep the stock for security reasons, you will need to go with a 5.25. Some 6.5" speakers have mounting holes in the frame that allow them to be installed in the jeep sound bar. Sony and Pioneer speakers that you can find at walmart are made this way. They are less than $40 a pair so if someone really wants them, you are out $40.
Stuff mounted isn't a problem where we live, it's mainly loose stuff that would be an issue. I mentioned that as much for weather as security.

Am I correct in saying that if the 6.5" speakers have 5.25" mounting holes they would fit in the stock location but the oem grilles wouldn't work? That might be the best solution.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj98 View Post
Am I correct in saying that if the 6.5" speakers have 5.25" mounting holes they would fit in the stock location but the oem grilles wouldn't work?
That is correct but the aftermarket speakers come with their own grills that work fine so it's a non-issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.