Jeep TJ CB Radio DIN Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Stereos, CB & HAM Radios, GPS, & Electrical. > Jeep TJ CB Radio DIN Install

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention seahawks fans!!! Want to save some $$$ ??!!

Unread 01-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
zyonker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ CB Radio DIN Install

(First post on this forum - Hey everyone!)
So I have plans for a single DIN CB Radio Install in my '00 Jeep TJ. I am taking a somewhat unique approach: instead of a DDIN conversion, and mounting my CB radio in the dash beneath my regular radio, I will completely remove my current radio and replace it with my Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB CB Radio. I have future plans (emphasis on 'future') to install a Tuffy Stereo Security Console, which will harbor a new radio for listening to music. I did a lot of research and it appears to be the best on the market--although it is a little pricey: http://www.quadratec.com/products/14127_XX_PG.htm The cool thing about this console is that it allows to to remove your "music radio," for lack of a better term, and install it into a locked steel dash in your Jeep's center console. It's secure, easy, and frees up dash space for other things--in my case, a CB!

One of the things I am really excited for with this CB radio is the PA function. I have also purchased a PA speaker that I will mount under my hood--I'm not sure how helpful it will be in my Jeep endeavors, but I do see some practical trail/joke purposes. I exchanged a Cobra for this particular Uniden because of the stellar reviews, built in SWR, and SSB capabilities that it has. I'll also create a detailed step by step process on the PA speaker install, and the SWR tuning.

I'm hoping that this will result in a fairly clean, uncluttered look, and I plan on taking pictures/videoing my process for future CB DIN installers. One thing I have definitely noticed is that this is not very commonly done!! I found just a few articles on DDIN installs, combining a radio and CB radio together that were really solid. I hope to pave the road for future installers. If anyone has any tips, advice, or questions, please let me know!! Expect pictures and video in the next few days.

zyonker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
PhulesAu
1985 VJ 

Under hood speaker will sound like crap, who do you plan on talking to on Side-Band? Do Not trust the on board SWR meter for making tuning adjustments.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
AlienJeepers
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Where do you then recommend the PA speaker be mounted? I am interested as well..
AlienJeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
PhulesAu
1985 VJ 

Out side of the engine compartment, unless you want to talk to the engine. If you get a decent one, on the front bumper with a slight downward tilt.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhulesAu View Post
Under hood speaker will sound like crap, who do you plan on talking to on Side-Band? Do Not trust the on board SWR meter for making tuning adjustments.
X2 on the SSB. SSB is so rarely heard on the CB band any more that I wouldn't pay extra to get it. It's never used in typical offroad events.

So far as the SWR meter goes, the internal SWR meters that come in some CB radios may not give an accurate ratio, but they work fine for finding the minimum SWR point for antenna tuning purposes. It doesn't take accuracy for that, it just needs to indicate the point at which it is seeing the minimum reflected power which is an easy task for it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cb , dash , install , radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.