Jeep Sound System Suggestions. PLEASE!!(Long) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Jeep Sound System Suggestions. PLEASE!!(Long)

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-18-2001, 07:39 PM   #1
FirstJeep

Jeep Sound System Suggestions. PLEASE!!(Long)

I am new to the Jeep scene and I need a little advice on my system. I have a brand new Alpine head unit, eclipse 6" speakers in my soundbar and some eclipse 4" in the dash factory location. I want to install a sub in the back, but still be able to keep my back seat. I currently have an Orion XTR amp and one 12" sub that is in a gigantic box that I had made for my previous car. I figured I will be able to mount my Amp under the back seat and buy/make some kind of box for behind the seat. Is a 12" to big? Should I get two 10"s? Does anyone have any specs or ideas for a 12" Orion XTR DVC sub? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Unread 10-18-2001, 07:49 PM   #2
mytjnamedrex

i have 2 12's and lookin 4 more take a look at my post on going down and you can see Rfwranglers setup and i may post b4 and after pics of what mine looks like.
Unread 10-19-2001, 01:41 PM   #3
mytjnamedrex

does ur jeep have the volume controls on the steering wheel? If so are you sure you hooked that into the harness properly? It could be hooked up wrong and result in full volume.??
Unread 10-19-2001, 01:42 PM   #4
mytjnamedrex

excuse me i just posted the wrong one....ignore the above reply.
Unread 10-23-2001, 09:58 PM   #5
Willis91YJ

Which XTR amp? If you wanna put the woof behind the backseat sell the 12" and buy a para 10"s unless you are gonna do what RF did. Let me know which amp you have and I'll help with what I can
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2001, 09:33 PM   #6
FirstJeep

It is an Orion XTR 275. I am willing to get rid of my single 12 if two 10's would fit better. I want something that looks decent though. I saw a really nice box on ebay onetime that looked really nice. It was totally custom and had fit perfectly behind the back seat. The 12 I have now sounds good in the box I had made for it from a shop, but it is way to big to fit behind the seat.
I had planned on using the amp for running the subs only, I will use the head unit to powere the other speakers. Thanks for your reply.
Unread 11-01-2001, 07:47 PM   #7
my litte red yj

i am running 2 10" JBL's subs 2 6x9's 3 way's in a box and my 2 4x6 2 way's in dash speaker's the back is very tight!!!!
my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2001, 01:19 AM   #8
eltj

Mount your 12 in a wedge style box facing the seat thet is 1.25 cu ft. this will give you good power handling and fit nicely behind the seat. Be sure to fill the box 50% full of poly fill to get the best performance.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2001, 09:50 PM   #9
FirstJeep

Thanks ELTJ!! Is that 1.25 cu ft. specific for my XTR sub? I am good with electronics but not with speaker box requirements. Is there a place that sells a quality box? I really don't want to buy any junk, I went down that road in my younger days. Thanks again for your reply.
Unread 11-15-2001, 11:26 PM   #10
eltj

Yes that is the air space you will want for the best power handling and it will also give you the best bass response. As a installer of 8 years I have tried it all and that will give you the best overall performance. Remember to fill the box 50% with polyfill.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2001, 12:55 PM   #11
Willis91YJ

First Jeep,
Call around to your local car audio stores, find a box constructed out of 3/4 in mdf, not particle board. It seals better and doesn't flex anywhere near as much. The box size eltj described sounds about right and definitely don't forget to polyfill (just pillow stuffing from a fabric store) I've only been installing and selling for three years but I definitely agree with him.
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Unread 11-16-2001, 12:57 PM   #12
Willis91YJ

Also is the dvc 2 2 ohm voice coils? or 2 4 ohms? I cannot remember? If you can tell us we I am sure either el or I can tell you how to wire it. What series is the XTR 12?
Willis
Unread 11-25-2001, 09:30 PM   #13
FirstJeep

Thanks for all the responses! I found a cutsom stereo installer by my house that had pre-fabed Jeep boxes that fit perfectly behind the seat. The boxes will fit two 10 subs. The box seemed pretty well built and has notches cut out so that the box supposedly cannot be lifted out without the tailgate being opened first. The box is around $100. He also said that he could build me a custom box for the 12 that I already have. It would cost about $200. I think I am going to have him build a custom box for me since it will save me a lot of money(I won't have to buy two 10's). Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.