Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 Car Stereo Wiring HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 Car Stereo Wiring HELP

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 03-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
hustlinismygame
2002 WJ 

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 Car Stereo Wiring HELP

I just bought a new radio for my jeep grand cherokee 2002 and I am trying to figure out wire connects to switch wire. The main wire that I am confused about are the yellow and black wires that came on the scosche harness. There are 2 black wires and to 2 yellow wires on the scosche harness which is pictured on the left side of the photo provided below. Also on the wiring harness that came on the Alpine (pictured on the right side of the picture) just have 1 thick black wire and 1 thick yellow wire. Do I just twist the 2 black wires and 2 yellow wires together on the scosche, then connect them to the Alpine wiring harness? Are the black and yellow wires on the Alpine thick for a reason? And the scosche harness wiring having 2 yellow and 2 black wires? Does this mean its for more power or something? Im just trying to clarify and this is my first install. Also do I have to set up a ground for the Alpine stereo or does my factory jeep radio already have one when I remove the factory radio? Help is much appreciated. Thanks.....

hustlinismygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Those first two yellows (pins 1 and 12) are both battery + and the last two (pins 11 and 22) are both ground.

Chrysler did this because they are high current circuits and it was more cost effective to double up on narrow gauge wire than to run a special loom of thicker wire.

The Alpine harness uses thicker wire for the yellow and black, because for their purposes that's the most effective way to do it. Just solder all 3 yellows together, and all 3 blacks together.

If you're running an aftermarket amplifier, also get an extra piece of black wire and connect it to the same junction of black (ground) wires at the head unit, and run it back to the ground terminal of your amplifier along with your amp's regular ground wire. This will go a VERY long way toward eliminating noise.
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
hustlinismygame
2002 WJ 

I am having a hard time finding a place to ground my wire. Everything in there seems to be plastic except for that metal piece behind the coin box (ash tray, whatever). Anyone else have this problem or suggest anything?
20130307_104613.jpg   20130307_104622.jpg   20130307_104628.jpg   20130307_104635.jpg  
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
hustlinismygame
2002 WJ 

there are only metal screws attached to the plastic.
Unread 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlinismygame View Post
there are only metal screws attached to the plastic.
What was the old stereo's ground wire connected to? As in... use that connection. I believe FunkDuck answered it in his first post. And you realize you have three threads all asking the same thing, right in a row? I know you want help, but jeez friend, chill!
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
hustlinismygame
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep View Post
What was the old stereo's ground wire connected to? As in... use that connection. I believe FunkDuck answered it in his first post. And you realize you have three threads all asking the same thing, right in a row? I know you want help, but jeez friend, chill!
the old stereo is a factory stereo and i didnt see any ground for it besides the factory harness that has the black wires.
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlinismygame View Post
the old stereo is a factory stereo and i didnt see any ground for it besides the factory harness that has the black wires.
Is that not a ground wire?
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
hustlinismygame
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep View Post

Is that not a ground wire?
The black wire is in the factory harness

forumrunner_20130307_121321.jpg
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
funkduck
2002 WJ 

The two black wires on your Scosche harness, pins 11 and 12, are both ground. That's why I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post
the last two (pins 11 and 22) are both ground.
I also suggest running an extra ground wire all the way back to the ground terminal of your amplifier, if you're running one, in addition to the amplifier's normal ground connection. This ensures both your head unit and amplifier are referencing the same ground and almost always eliminates alternator whine before it happens.
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
brianestep
2000 WJ 

So are you hooking up the head unit to the factory harness or did you remove it? Attach the ground wire from the head unit to wherever the ground wire in the factory harness goes... right??
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^^ Yeah, I don't get why this is so difficult, it took me maybe 15 minutes to wire up the harness for my radio and I'm colorblind lol.

Connect the one yellow wire from the alpine harness to BOTH yellow wires from the Scosche harness. Do the same with the black wires. Then connect the rest of them as noted. The labels are the same on both harnesses, I think the colors mostly are too. Just connect the ones that are the same. Done. It was harder for me to stuff all the wires in the dash.

You don't need to have any wire grounded in the dash because the black wires in the harness do the grounding.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.