Jeep Cherokee Master Window Switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Jeep Cherokee Master Window Switch

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 05-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
terzaghi

Jeep Cherokee Master Window Switch

Hello, I've read about the master window switch in the Jeep Cherokee being a common problem. Here is my current situation:

I have a 99 jeep cherokee sport 4 door, bought 7 years ago. I have never been able to roll down the passenger windows from anything but the main driver window switch (likely due to the bad window lock feature that I have read about). within a year of ownership I lost the ability to use the power locks from all switches (must manually lock).

Within the last week, I lost the ability to roll down the passenger front window from the driver's master window switch as well. The motor in the passenger window is still good as it operates when separate power is provided to it.

Are all of the above problems tied to a faulty master window switch? If I replace the switch will I re-gain the ability to use the passenger window, and the automatic locks?

Is this the appropriate part:?
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-901-405...ar=1&carId=002

Thanks

terzaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That looks like the right part. A properly functioning master control switch may or may not fix any other issues.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
obfdcherokee

Check your door harnesses my windows and locks where part time had bad wiring in both doors. Look where the harness comes out of the door and into the body.
obfdcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
terzaghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfdcherokee View Post
Check your door harnesses my windows and locks where part time had bad wiring in both doors. Look where the harness comes out of the door and into the body.
Thanks for the tip. Where specifically do I need to look? Inside the door panel?
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
obfdcherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi

Thanks for the tip. Where specifically do I need to look? Inside the door panel?
The part in the door jam area that has the rubber sheath around it. Easiest way I found was pull the harness out of the door ( pull the rubber grommets out of the door and body. There's three connectors on the kick panel then the rest in the door. Easy if you have basic mechanical skills) un wrap the harness fix what's broken and but it back in. Or find new harnesses.
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
terzaghi

I will look at the wiring and see if anything looks suspicious.

As far as the master control switch, once the door panel is off is it simple to unhook the old one and hook up the new one?

Thanks again!
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
obfdcherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi
I will look at the wiring and see if anything looks suspicious.

As far as the master control switch, once the door panel is off is it simple to unhook the old one and hook up the new one?

Thanks again!
Yes it has two connectors and either clips or screws that hold the switch in. Beware dont pull the panel off too hard you have to unhook the latch rods before you completely remove the panel
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
jeepers15

My 99 Grand Cherokee Limited lost power from main driver door control panel to windows, door locks, mirrors. Also alarm light didn't work and dome lights wouldn't go off. Threads said to check wires in rubber boot coming from body to door. I pulled the boot from the door side and pulled it back to view the wires. One was broken. I bought 16 gauge auto wire at home depot. Had to slit the rubber boot with a razor to reach the broken part and give myself working room. Cut about a 3 inch section of new wire and stripped both ends. Stripped both ends of existing broken wire. Used 16 gauge crimp type butt splices (hardware store) and connected the wires back together with the new splice in between the old wires. Turned power on at key and ALL IS FIXED!!! Use electrical tape to close up boot as best you can. I couldn't get mine to reseat in the hole properly, but I made it as waterproof as possible with tape. Total cost about $8...total time around 45 minutes. GOOD LUCK!
jeepers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
hooksup
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Master door switch

I just purchased a 99 Grand Cherokee and my master door switch will only work if my door is closed. What is the problem and what do I need to do to fix it. Also how do I program the key remote, they car came with no remote and I am buying one from Ebay and need to know how to program it.
hooksup is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.