jeep center console subwoofer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > jeep center console subwoofer

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
jimG16
2002 TJ Wrangler 

jeep center console subwoofer

I'm not sure wether or not I got a lemon, or if its because of my new in dash player, or that TJ jeeps subwoofers are horrible to begin with. My center console subwoofer is decent at medium levels of volume, makes a weird rumble at low volumes, and is just horrible at high volumes. It seems to me that there is this mesh cover over the sub that is not secure in any way and vibrates excessively making everything sound horrible.

Yes ive played with the Treble, bass, mid, etc on the player.
Yes ive played around with the new players equalizer.
Yes ive made sure it wasnt just a bad burnt CD.
Etc.

Nothing seems to work, with top down and doors off I have no choice but to crank up the tunes and when i do the center console seems like its going to blast off and the front speakers look like computer speakers so thats probably not helping either.

Anyone else have this problem or a solution to this problem. Can you place aftermarket subs in my center console, will replacing those crumby dash speakers help.
thanks
-Jim

jimG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

dont know about the in dash or sound bar speakers because the previous owner replaced them before i got it. but my center concole sub is actuly really good for stock. i know a few days before i bought my jeep the PO brought it down to the dealer ship to replace the sub because of a rumbling that he was hearing( said he couldnt sell me somthing with bad compnents glad cause he saved me 250 bux) but anyway mayb its just old. like the paper on the cone hardened up or somthing idk but mine sounds really good for factory at any volume.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
jimG16
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds gargly at low volumes. If that helps?
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
RydinHigh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

RydinHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydinHigh View Post
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee70/Daos27/Jeep_boom_boom.jpg[/IMG]

590nm Jeep TJ Build+Life
Panici is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
jimG16
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what if I were to replace my console sub with this one, http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...08+CVT65+2-Ohm
will it work?
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimG16 View Post
Anyone else have this problem or a solution to this problem. Can you place aftermarket subs in my center console, will replacing those crumby dash speakers help.
thanks
-Jim
Yup, replace it. That's the solution. Mine is sitting in the console collecting dust until I can get a tuffy console.

The stock setup is alright and pretty decent actually. However, at loud volumes, or highway topless/doors off driving, it's still not enough.

If the subwoofer is blown, which is easy to do, then it will rattle and sound really bad. My stock unit was blown.

There is no good replacement for the stock subwoofer. All aftermarket woofers are bigger and more power hungry, so they take up more space and won't fit the center console easily without modifications, and you'll need a seperate aftermarket amplifier to power the new sub. The stock sub has a built in amplifier, but it's incredibly small and nothing aftermarket is that small.

So, you either replace it with another stock sub or you go aftermarket and put your sub/subs in the rear seat or put them behind the rear seat. Mine are behind my rear seat, along with the amps.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, it all depends how much you want to spend. To me, better sound in general was more important than more bass, so I upgraded the speakers. I meant for the sub to be the next project, but once I got a new head unit and new speakers, it wasn't so important.

Absolutely replace the front speakers. They are junk. Also, buy/make brackets to fit round ones, as oval speakers don't sound as good. The ones that do sound decent cost way more than their round counterparts.

Another thing to consider is the stock sub sounds/feels a lot better to the driver than the passenger. If you want both to get equal sound, change the setup.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
Grey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
Yup, replace it. That's the solution. Mine is sitting in the console collecting dust until I can get a tuffy console.

The stock setup is alright and pretty decent actually. However, at loud volumes, or highway topless/doors off driving, it's still not enough.

If the subwoofer is blown, which is easy to do, then it will rattle and sound really bad. My stock unit was blown.

There is no good replacement for the stock subwoofer. All aftermarket woofers are bigger and more power hungry, so they take up more space and won't fit the center console easily without modifications, and you'll need a seperate aftermarket amplifier to power the new sub. The stock sub has a built in amplifier, but it's incredibly small and nothing aftermarket is that small.

So, you either replace it with another stock sub or you go aftermarket and put your sub/subs in the rear seat or put them behind the rear seat. Mine are behind my rear seat, along with the amps.

Is that a pre-fabbed enclosure or is that a custom box?
i know MTX makes one for behind the seats but it doesn't look like that i dont think...could be wrong, but i like how it looks..how does that sound with that kind of material? and what size speakers can you run in it? and you said something about subs in the rear seats? whats that about

on topic..ssounds like it should just be replaced..and also replace the front speakers too..but i would replace the sound bar speakers before the front ones because thats what you hear more i think..

i digress

i wave too
Grey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #10
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey01 View Post
Is that a pre-fabbed enclosure or is that a custom box?
i know MTX makes one for behind the seats but it doesn't look like that i dont think...could be wrong, but i like how it looks..how does that sound with that kind of material? and what size speakers can you run in it? and you said something about subs in the rear seats? whats that about

on topic..ssounds like it should just be replaced..and also replace the front speakers too..but i would replace the sound bar speakers before the front ones because thats what you hear more i think..

i digress
That's a custom one I designed. I do have plans for it if you want them.

It's waterproof and sounds great, better than 95% of setups I've heard. It'll buzz you pretty good if you want, but it is exceedingly clean and hits sharp, and tight.

On the side are dual 8" subs (you might be able to squeeze in 10s), which are plenty for my tastes (mainly rock, a little country and a little rap).

I need to reorganize the wires this summer, but they're normally hidden.

I custom created this box because nothing else on the market has subs/amps combo. Just subs behind the rear seat and that's a waste, especially in a wrangler. For only costing in materials at about $100 finished, it isn't too bad at all.

There are advantages to replacing either the front speakers or the sound bar speakers.

Since the soundbar provides a type of enclosure, you will get better bass response from the sound bar that you won't get from the front.

That being said, I've played around and run just the front setup, and if you get powerful speakers, they'll work well for those guys who have aftermarket cages and don't have the pods anymore. Throw in a sub and it isn't too bad.

If you have to pick, I'd pick the sound bar. For proper imaging, you should replace the front too (center stage as it's called). Music is supposed to sound like it is in front of you, but that's not a huge deal to most people.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #11
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Your speaker is blown. Replacing the speaker will make it sound better. Mine is on its way out, but is not blown nearly as bad as your (yet). Its hard to hear the damaging distortion while you are on the freeway with the top down. I was thinking about buying a better quality sub that is the same size as the stock one and just running it off the stock amp. If the sub is anything like the cheap paper crap speakers that came in the jeep there is a lot of room for improvement, even at the same size.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
jimG16
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I dont want to go overboard for my tastes, i just want to replace the sub i have now and help the overall sound quality. Since the factory sub is 6.5" in why cant i just simply put this sub in http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...08+CVT65+2-Ohm

I was thinking about replacing the front speakers with these as well http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_2X0_PG.htm

and maybe for the sound bar these, http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_2X1_PG.htm
Unread 06-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
Red Rubycon

You are in the wrong forum... go to the electronics one instead of TJ. There are a couple guys there that are in the business that can answer your question correctly rather than guess at it.
Red Rubycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my stock sub pretty quick.. i thought they were just a POS. Got a 10" JL Audio W7 and a Rockford fosgate amp. Put the amp under my back set and the sub sits in my cargo area. Gotta love that extra room of the LJ!
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
jdflute
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I found my sub had completely disintergrated and replaced it with an aftermarket along with all the other speakers. Given the ambient noise with a soft top I didn't worry too much about fidelity and I like my ear drums so wasn't bothered with an amp. Perfectly happy now with some 4" clarions, a 6" sub and the stock head unit.
Jd

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
jdflute is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.