Jeep Audio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Jeep Audio

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
echoduckjr.

Jeep Audio

i have a yj and am in need of a new headunit and all 6 new speakers, i need them to be waterproof does anyone have any suggestions on good ones or some you have.. or had.. thanks in advance

echoduckjr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Clarion and Kenwood both make marine speakers.
sprngrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
SirGCal

There is no such thing as 'waterproof' audio equipment. Doesn't exist... Marine grade just means more resistant to corrosion. Still doesn't do anything for the lasers, armatures, etc inside the units. I've gone over this many times before so search for more information.

As for a YJ, what 6 speakers? Your dash would be 4x6 (and difficult, but possible to upgrade to 5.25") and if you have the soundbar, that's another pair of 5.25-6.5" speakers. Anymore would be after market unless I'm forgetting another stock option.

That said, if you want to run speakers off the head unit, get speakers rated for no more than 35W RMS @ 4-ohms. If you want to amp em, match the RMS to the impedance you plan to run with the amp you purchase/have/etc... Amp should be at least 50% but not more than 100% of the rated RMS of the speakers at the rated impedance. I wouldn't worry about marine grade really. Some of them coat the circuits in epoxy to help but it still doesn't help the moving parts and lasers, etc. Basically, don't get em wet and/or let em dry extremely well without power when you do.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
jeepboy21

Quote:
There is no such thing as 'waterproof' audio equipment. Doesn't exist... Marine grade just means more resistant to corrosion. Still doesn't do anything for the lasers, armatures, etc inside the units. I've gone over this many times before so search for more information.

As for a YJ, what 6 speakers? Your dash would be 4x6 (and difficult, but possible to upgrade to 5.25") and if you have the soundbar, that's another pair of 5.25-6.5" speakers. Anymore would be after market unless I'm forgetting another stock option.

That said, if you want to run speakers off the head unit, get speakers rated for no more than 35W RMS @ 4-ohms. If you want to amp em, match the RMS to the impedance you plan to run with the amp you purchase/have/etc... Amp should be at least 50% but not more than 100% of the rated RMS of the speakers at the rated impedance. I wouldn't worry about marine grade really. Some of them coat the circuits in epoxy to help but it still doesn't help the moving parts and lasers, etc. Basically, don't get em wet and/or let em dry extremely well without power when you do.
X2 most "marine grade" sound like crap also. I used to have a "marine grade" system in my boat and would end up replacing a majority of the components every 2 to 3 years. I have since switched to "regular" audio equipment and have gotten the same amount of life if not more from them.
93 YJ 2.5L 5 spd,D35 lockrite,D30 powertrax,4.0L TB,4.0L TB Spacer, Warrior Products rear bumper,Bigrocks offroad front stinger bumper,2.5" ghetto lift,skyjacker hydro's,arb snorkle,31x11.5 super swamper truxus A/T STS on cragar soft 8s,31x10.5 wildcat ext studded on ar 767,hella 500's 1 set fog and 1 set driving,sway bar disco's, extended brake lines,yellow top,CB, body damage to prove I wheel.
jeepboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
echoduckjr.

i have two surface mounted speakers on my rear wheel wells are those not stock?? and what are some good sound bar speakers i cant seem to find them. but i found a headunit and my dash speakers....
echoduckjr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
SirGCal

no, those aren't stock I don't believe. Simple pod after market options.

But for speakers, try to keep them all in the same family. Same make and model. Obviously possibly the different size... but that's what you do to try to maintain best voice matching. If the voice matching is way off, it will take away from the sound making it seem hollow.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 08-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
TimsWrangler4dr
2007 JK Wrangler 

MB Quart make a great marine speaker... I have 6 of them in my boat and they are real nice...
TimsWrangler4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #8
Duck Dodgers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and South of Disorder
New Speakers for the TJ

Looking at changing up the speakers in my TJ. The front ones are still the stock speakers ( ew) The ones in the sound bar are Jensens but one rattles at higher volumes. So I am looking at these. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, how hard is it to replace the fronts?

Infinity 5-1/4" 2-Way Plus One Cones
Pioneer 4" x 6" 3 way Speakers
Duck Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers
Looking at changing up the speakers in my TJ. The front ones are still the stock speakers ( ew) The ones in the sound bar are Jensens but one rattles at higher volumes. So I am looking at these. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, how hard is it to replace the fronts?

Infinity 5-1/4" 2-Way Plus One Cones
Pioneer 4" x 6" 3 way Speakers
Do not get 4x6's. Get two pairs of 5.25"s. And I'm not a fan of the new 2-ohm Infinities. They stress head units, are next to impossible to find amps for, and have noticeably more noise.

Quote:
Unread 01-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
wakejeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Marine Audio

Go with marine audio in wakeboard boats they have subs and speakers up on towers and around the boat and it can get wet and its chill. I've flooded the front of my boat and all my speakers work fine. I wanna put subs and speakers from a tower and hang them on my roll bar instead of the **** sound bars.
wakejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

This thread is 5 years old...

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.