iPod input adapter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > iPod input adapter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

iPod input adapter

So my kids want to be able to hook up their iPods to the Jeep's stereo system. I'm not a big audiophile, not into electronic gadgets, but I do know how to search. This is not for the YJ, but for my 04 Rubicon, with the factory audio system, single disc CD. This is what is coded on my build sheet for the audio system:

RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RBKS AM/FM Compact Disc Radio w/Chgr Ctrl
RCU 7 Speakers Inc Subwoofer/Tweeters
RDDP Fixed Long Mast Antenna

I found a variety of threads here on JF about doing this, though not specific to my year, but one of them led me to another forum and this product from USASpec: EDIT, update Dec 10, I find this item is no longer available.

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-r...p-adapter.html

I will post up some photos here in a bit to show my system better. When I purchased the Rubicon a few years back, it has a Harmon Kardon Drive+play adapter unit installed in it already, this thing: http://www.harmankardon.com/resource..._us_revb_f.pdf

My kids tell me that it won't play the iPod but I just dug into the wiring and found the cord was not plugged into the adapter box up under the dash. Nonetheless, I am told that it works off a radio frequency and is not always reliable.

Is the USASpec's product substantially better than the H-K unit I have? Should I pull out the H-K system and go with the USASpec system, or does someone have a better suggestion for a different product. I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

I also came across this list of potentials from Crutchfield that supposedly will do what I want and they're supposedly compatible with my unit. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_305250/...tml?o=f&tp=120

My YJ has an aftermarket stereo that I put in which already has an aux jack in the front of it, you merely have to plug in an Aux cable and put that into the iPod and Bob's your uncle. They love that, but I am not going to buy a new unit for the TJ.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, now for photos, just so the experts can see what it is I am working with:

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you just plugged the iPod cable in, I would run that for a little while to see if you (and your kids) are happy with the performance/sound. If not, the USA Spec. or factory iPod interface adapters are a good choice if you're keeping the stock (you have a RB1) radio. They plug directly into the CD changer port on the back of the radio, and the iPod usually can be controlled via factory radio controls (USA Spec. or other aftermarket sometimes can do both radio & iPod).

Here's a link to a factory iPod interface adapter install in a Grand Cherokee WJ, just for reference.

http://www.jeepslimited.com/index.ph...d=18&Itemid=94

You can probably search Google to find out if the part # is the same from WJ to TJ for the adapter, as well as the USA Spec/other brands that are available.

Hope this helps.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I will look into the factory adapter, my kids are telling me what I have is, we'll, it's not a real nice word. Will also go thru your link when I get back my computer. I am told the H-K unit is not as good since it isn't really hard wired and works off one of the radio frequencies. Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Reading into more of these products, I am not certain what this means, and how it applies or doesn't apply to my factory radio:

"Radio must be CD changer ( radios with Mode button )"

It would be nice if they stated that it works or doesn't work with RB1 Radio, but I suppose that would be too easy.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Reading much more, the iPod adapter unit 82209616AC isn't available thru MOPAR, I found one thru Morris Jeep but at $270 it seems beyond what one would reasonably care to spend. When I look up that number specifically though, it tells me it doesn't work with the 2004 I have, but starts at 2005. So I'm wading thru some conflicting information on various sites.

Considering this one now: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...er.html?tp=120

Will be looking much more closely at the USASpec product. Happy to hear/consider further guidance. Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
If you just plugged the iPod cable in, I would run that for a little while to see if you (and your kids) are happy with the performance/sound. The kids tell me that they don't like the way this H-K unit works or sounds, so I need to scrap it.

Okay folks, I have downloaded the owner's manual, read thru it a few times and then run it by my children. They tell me they want to be able to control their music selections from the iPod itself, rather than from the Jeep stereo unit.

My Jeep doesn't have the Nav unit, or the 6 CD changer unit, so it doesn't matter if what I get disables either of these.

Does anyone have a line on a unit that will accomplish this? The goal is provide an input to the RB1 factory radio that will allow plugging in an iPod and you still control the playlist from your iPod. There have got to be a few of you out there that have done this. Thanks for any input.

Edit--also, does anyone have a photograph of the BACK of the RB1 unit?? (yes, I have one, but I don't want to pull it out merely to look at it)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Look around on here, eBay or Craig's list. I found mine for about fifty bucks shipped. Our radios are a little different but on the back there is a plug for a cd changer, you just plug it in there and plug in the I pod. The cord is long enough that you can control the iPod either way. I have the PAC one.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeb View Post
Look around on here, eBay or Craig's list. I found mine for about fifty bucks shipped. Our radios are a little different but on the back there is a plug for a cd changer, you just plug it in there and plug in the I pod. The cord is long enough that you can control the iPod either way. I have the PAC one.
Thanks for weighing in. What is the "PAC one?" Do you have a part number so I can do some more research?

I have trolled thru Craigslist and ebay, but this was about a week ago and pickings were scant. Of course, there is a certain amount of trepidation involved in purchasing used electronics, and I still haven't figured out what it is I need.

I have read some more on the USASpec model PA11-CHR and found that it can be set up to control from the radio, or the iPod itself. I'm still reading. I may be making it a bit more difficult than needed, but since I live on the Moon, I want to have everything I need on hand, and have trouble-shot any potential difficulties before I take a dive on the install.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Never mind that's the one I have, the other is an interface for newer jeeps I believe. Pa11 I have is an older one it doesn't charge my iPhone 4 but I can play IHeart radio or pandora controlled through the phone or my nano which it charges I can thumb through and select songs on the radio or the iPod it's self. Mine was used I haven't had any trouble it gets power from the radio so there's no "extra" wires to run.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm obviously not really moving briskly on this particular task. I spoke with helpful folks at USASPEC technical support, they have told me the PA11-CHR is not compatible with my stereo in my Jeep. I suppose I will be purchasing and installing an entire new aftermarket stereo into my TJ to be able to connect an iPOD to it. Suggestions? I'm not looking for a unit that will make my Jeep a break in target for a smash and grab venture, just something equivalent to what is stock, but has a plug-in for the iPOD.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like a lot of headache when it would be easier (and probably cheaper) just to install a new HU. That interface kit you linked to from Crutchfield is 130$. I payed 119$ for my new Kenwood head unit from Sonic Electronix and it came with free dash install kit and harness adapters. It has USB and 3.5mm input and HD radio built in. There's also the couple versions down for 99$ that still has USB and 3.5mm input but no HD radio.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

I have had two usaspec iPod interfaces in a 2002 and 2007 chevy and loved them. Plug into an extra upgrade slot (factory radios will allow for factory upgrade of cassette, cd, xm,etc). Plugs right in and runs. Can change songs from iPod/iPhone with radio and steering wheel controls (if present), also charges iPod.

There is also a set of RCA pre outs that allow for plugging in a 3.5mm aux cable so you can listen to a non-apple MP3 player, hook up a DVD or laptop and have audio.

Gives you some of the perks of a aftermarket head unit without the flashing beacon to thieves to invite them to break in and steal it.

We used to make a regular trip skiing to New Mexico and a portable DVD player hooked into the truck speakers makes for a very nice ride from post to Roswell in the middle of the night. Surround sound and all.

I'd say, as long as your factory radio has the slots in the back for it, just do it.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
journey50
2002 WJ 

On ebay... A guy installs a plug in aux on jeep radios so u can just plug in an iPod to the front of your factory radio and listen away... 1Factoryradio is the seller store... The radio is tested works and has a warranty for 125.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2006-Je...item2323f3c63d
journey50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #15
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmmmm. Thank you. Will check on this one.

I did come up with an interesting solution otherwise, a bluetooth linked Speaker system that will work with his iPhone. Sounds amazingly awesome. Not available in US, but since I happen to be in Kuwait for a while......I got one and sent it home. It's still on the boat though, so no results from the homefront.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.