Interior Light Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Interior Light Problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
maxgee
1999 WJ 

Interior Light Problem

Today I was trying to install a switch for some lighting in the footwell of my car and in the process I messed up some of my interior lighting. The problem that occurred is that all of my interior lighting besides the two front door lights have stopped working. The dash lights still work, the lights that don't work are the footwell and overhead/dome lights in the whole car. I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee (WJ) it is a V8 Limited also if that helps. I tried looking at the fuse box in slot 7 and the fuse looks fine and I have tried putting a new fuse in and have had the same results.

PLEASE HELP!

maxgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you cut any wires during your install? If so, that's where id start
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
maxgee
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26
Did you cut any wires during your install? If so, that's where id start
I didn't cut any that would affect all of the interior lights of the car.
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just saying that's were I'd start. Maybe cut or knocked free a ground that was common.
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgee View Post
Today I was trying to install a switch for some lighting in the footwell of my car and in the process I messed up some of my interior lighting. The problem that occurred is that all of my interior lighting besides the two front door lights have stopped working. The dash lights still work, the lights that don't work are the footwell and overhead/dome lights in the whole car. I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee (WJ) it is a V8 Limited also if that helps. I tried looking at the fuse box in slot 7 and the fuse looks fine and I have tried putting a new fuse in and have had the same results.

PLEASE HELP!
Did you completely cut ANY wires in the process of installing the switch (Not just wires that are applicable to lighting)? Remove the newly installed wiring, ensure all factory wiring is intact, and see if everything goes back to normal. If so, you did something funky with the installation. If not, you have a bit of a larger issue.
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
maxgee
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho-X-Jeep
Did you completely cut ANY wires in the process of installing the switch (Not just wires that are applicable to lighting)? Remove the newly installed wiring, ensure all factory wiring is intact, and see if everything goes back to normal. If so, you did something funky with the installation. If not, you have a bit of a larger issue.
I cut one wire off of the power outlet but after the lights stopped working I put it back together and it still did not work.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
maxgee
1999 WJ 

FIXED THE PROBLEM! I was looking at the wrong fuse it was #8 instead of 7. LIGHTS WORK!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.