integrating CB radio into stock stereo? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > integrating CB radio into stock stereo?

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 01-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
saltine1130
2010 JK Wrangler 

integrating CB radio into stock stereo?

so the last thing im gonna do to the jeep for a while is put in a CB radio. I've been looking around and i found Cobra has one that actually uses Bluetooth to connect your cell phone to it and be able to talk through the CB. That means people might actually beable to hear me ha. (http://www.rightchannelradios.com/co...tooth-479.html for refrense)

Well I noticed with the external speaker (not the PA output) you might be able to splice up a cable and wire it directly into the jeep speakers (i was thinking the ones on top of the dash). now the output looks like just a regular head phones jack. Thus i could connect it directly into the speaker wire. the only problem would be the jeep sterio system and if it has amps running through so if i would need to wire before or after the amp. any ideas? I have zero clue what the stock sterio system looks like.

its a 2010 JK, Thanks guys

saltine1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
99WJNM
1999 WJ 

only way i see that working is if you have a one way diode on the lines from the radio to the speakers as anytime you have your am/fm on you will be pushing power back into the radio and that can't be good your idea is feasable but how much of a headache you want is up to you.
99WJNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
97Formulaws-6
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJNM View Post
only way i see that working is if you have a one way diode on the lines from the radio to the speakers as anytime you have your am/fm on you will be pushing power back into the radio and that can't be good your idea is feasable but how much of a headache you want is up to you.
And this wont work as the signals to the speakers are AC; so the diode would completely screw up the sound.
97Formulaws-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
99WJNM
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Formulaws-6 View Post
And this wont work as the signals to the speakers are AC; so the diode would completely screw up the sound.
on 12v audio??

what do you sugest
99WJNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
97Formulaws-6
2004 WJ 

Analog audio (speakers) is an AC waveform, that's why your speakers move back and forth. If you just apply a DC voltage to a speaker it will move one way and stay there. The osillations in the voltage/current are what move the speaker. If you put a diode in-line with the speakers, then only one direction can flow to the speaker and it will no longer work.

How to make it work... I don't see a way to integrate it with the factory stereo.

Your only real options are a separate dedicated speaker, the integrated speaker in the CB, connecting it to an Aux-in jack on the radio (but then you'd have to change the radio to only hear the CB, and not the radio); or if you're really really crafty and feel like a project, research and design a electronic circuit that can do signal sensing and switch the input from the radio to the CB automatically (this is a Electrical Engineering mid/upper college level project).
97Formulaws-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Your 2010 JK should have an input for ipods and such. Alot of guys running Cobra 75s get a double male adapter from radio shack and just plug it into the radio. You use the Aux button and can here the cb through your speakers.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
saltine1130
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Your 2010 JK should have an input for ipods and such. Alot of guys running Cobra 75s get a double male adapter from radio shack and just plug it into the radio. You use the Aux button and can here the cb through your speakers.
yea after reading all the replys it looks like that is gonna be my plan... or i might as well just run an external speaker into the dash
saltine1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
markcj7
1983 CJ7 

You should check out http://audiointerrupt.com/Content/Jeep.html . I currently use on my CJ-7 a device that they build . It is amazing how well it works while I am at freeway speed with the top down. I think they build one for the TJs and JKs, but I have not been to their site in a while.
markcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.