installing subs and amp in a wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > installing subs and amp in a wrangler

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
platinumjeep

installing subs and amp in a wrangler

i just bought some cheap mtx subs and amp to throw in the wrangler. the amp is a 400 watt mono and the subs are 12s i couldnt tell you much else about them, all brand new. anyways, would i be ok mounting the amp under the back seat? would it get enough airflow under there? also, do you have any ideas on how to secure the stuff so that it wont be stolen. i run a soft top and it is off 97% of the time in the summer. i have thought about just mounting the box to the tub with some brackets and big sheet metal screws, but i dont really want to drill into the tub. it could still be stolen, but it would take some time. any body have any other suggestions? thanks

platinumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
kolten493
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have my amp mounted under the seat and its never shut down on me, and i built a box for my shallow mount 10. you might be able to do something similair. and yes, i used sheet metal screws to secure it

Unread 01-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

i have my 2 10inch JLS in the back where the box fits perfectly, and won't be able to be removed unless the hatch is open

with the rear seat back all the way and the hatch closed, you cannot lift up the subs which is great, and the only way to flip the seat forward on my 97 is to take out the subs to get to the lever...

and my amp for now is just chilling under my rear seat... will get some heavy duty velcro to secure it soon though

Firefighters Jeep Club
flexsaharatj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well there are a bunch of cargo tie downs already bolted into the floor. I think you figure something out with how to use those current holes. Other option if you don't want to drill is weld some bolts to the floor, drill holes in the box and put the nuts inside the box to hold it down.

It depends on the amp but a 400 watt amp should be fine under there and I can't say I hear of a lot of mtx amps overheating (decent brand)
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumjeep View Post
i run a soft top and it is off 97% of the time in the summer. i have thought about just mounting the box to the tub with some brackets and big sheet metal screws, but i dont really want to drill into the tub. it could still be stolen, but it would take some time.
This is exactly my situation and basically what I ended up doing. I got some cheap "L" brackets from a local home improvement store and secured them with some specialty bit screws, figure most crooks won't be carrying the correct tool But I've since taken them off, mainly because my top is on most of the winter and sound resonates through the tub BAD when screwed down. I plan on getting a Dynamat trunk kit for the rear section which I hope will eliminate the resonating sound. Just as you said this set-up can still be stolen, but it will take more time and hopefully a crook will pass on to the next unfortunate victim

Sub amp is under my front seat and the location seems to work fine for me. I don't go through deep water/mud and you'd have to remove the seat to get the amp Remaining amp and a signal processor are well tucked away under the carpet on the front section of my wheel wells. Small equipment rocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.