Installing Sub in Armrest storage compartment...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Installing Sub in Armrest storage compartment......

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-24-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
_RT_

Installing Sub in Armrest storage compartment......

I decided against the 7 speaker sound system in my new Jeep.
Now... I am wondering if I can do it myself.

Is there a subwoofer that I can mount to the opening in the armrest (After I cut out the hole of course)?
Where do I put the amp for that subwoofer? How is the factory sub wired, is there an amp?

And the final question... where are the other two speakers in the 7 speaker upgrade?

Thanks!

'79 CJ-5 - 304 V-8
'03 TJ Freedom - a little smaller
_RT_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
ldogg

do a search for sub installs in this forum... a link has been posted to a very good writeup from JU on putting a 10" in the center console...
after that you could put the amp either under your drivers seat or in the dash if it's small enough....
as for the extra 2 speakers in the "7" speaker package... it's truly that the 4x6 speaker is replaced with a 4x6 plate seperates.. meaning it's a 4" woofer and 1" tweeter as opposed to one 4x6 speaker... really not much of an upgrade... get some brackets and drop 5.25s in there...
ldogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2003, 01:53 PM   #3
_RT_

I can't track down that link ANYWHERE.

Even checking out JU. Any clue who posted it, or a better idea of what to search for?

'79 CJ-5 - 304 V-8
'03 TJ Freedom - a little smaller
_RT_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
ldogg

one was posted by a guy named doug....
lemme see what I can find..
Unread 07-25-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
ldogg

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hreadid=373571

that's one option... scroll down and you'll see what some other guy is doing...
Unread 07-25-2003, 04:20 PM   #6
ldogg

http://community.webshots.com/user/d0ug

and here's the box that doug built...
Unread 07-26-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
MrMischief
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How much does the stuff you put in the storage on top of the sub rattle? Doesn't it drive you insane? Which install is better? Seems to me that using the original liner would be the easiest... But how does the plastic perform? Does it flex with the bass?
MrMischief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.