Installing single DIN head unit into 97 Wrangler without tray/sleeve? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Installing single DIN head unit into 97 Wrangler without tray/sleeve?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
BTroll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Installing single DIN head unit into 97 Wrangler without tray/sleeve?

I have an old head single din head unit (Sony CDX-GT100) without the metal tray/sleeve that slips over it. I'm trying to install it into my 97 Wrangler, but am unsure what components I need, hoping someone here can help.

I ordered the harness and antenna extension for it, and this fit kit which was recommended by Crutchfield (30-6229), but it has no provisions to mount the head unit to, it is just a faceplate:

I'm wondering if one of the fit kits listed on Metra's site also have the provision to mount the radio to, which is what I need. From the pictures it looks like they may, but the pictures may not be accurate. Has anyone used these or installed a single din head unit into a early TJ Wrangler to know?

This is a more universal fit kit but may give me options: http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-6501

This is also a universal kit without some of the extra brackets but still looks to have the arm extensions to hold the head unit?: http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-6700

Or, is the head unit scrap now without the sleeve to go over it to mount it with? I don't believe I can get a replacement, and its not worth spending much money on really when I can buy a new head unit for about $80 that is nicer than the one I have. I was just doing this cause it was a budget project, wasn't looking to spend much on a head unit install.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

BTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

You need to search for a "cage" or "frame assembly" for CDX, CDC, MDX, or newer single DIN Sony models.
I just did a quick Google search and there's some on e Bay and Amazon for around 10-20 bucks. Probably more out there for sale cheaper if you look around.

http://stores.ebay.com/jt-audio-ster...fsub=805072011
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
BTroll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know what term to search for or how universal they were.
Do I need the cage and the release keys, or just the cage? I'm just trying to decide how much money I should really spend on this old head unit.

And with this cage (or any single DIN head unit), does it really just slide into the Metra faceplate then you bend the tabs up to hold it, and thats it? Thats what holds the head unit in place? It just doesn't seem like a very sturdy mount to me, I'm use to it being held in with 4 screws or something along those lines. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any other components to install this properly because as is its just floating in open space which doesn't seem right to me.
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTroll View Post
Thanks for the reply, I didn't know what term to search for or how universal they were.
Do I need the cage and the release keys, or just the cage? I'm just trying to decide how much money I should really spend on this old head unit.

And with this cage (or any single DIN head unit), does it really just slide into the Metra faceplate then you bend the tabs up to hold it, and thats it? Thats what holds the head unit in place? It just doesn't seem like a very sturdy mount to me, I'm use to it being held in with 4 screws or something along those lines. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any other components to install this properly because as is its just floating in open space which doesn't seem right to me.
I have a Sony cdx unit in my Jeep, and my last 3 vehicles used the same Sony cage design, including my old Ram which I beat the hell out of pulling trees and crap. The cage does a decent enough job of keeping it immobile.
You don't really NEED the "keys" to remove it, a couple thin pieces of sheet metal will do the trick, I even used a couple of butter knives once even though I had keys for it, just because I didn't feel like going to get them and the silverware was closer, lol.
The only benefit the keys really have is they make it slightly easier to pull the stereo out once they undo the tabs.
Once you get the cage, you'll see what I mean.
It sounds like you've got everything you need for install besides the cage.
One bit of advice I have is to actually turn the radio on before you put the dash back in place to make sure your connections are right so you don't have to tear the dash apart again if you missed something!
Also, do you have the factory Infiniti sound upgrade? If so there's a couple of wires you'll have to do differently to turn the amp on, if not, you're good to go.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
BTroll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks,
Thanks for the info, do you also have a similar Metra faceplate without any mounting provisions/arms/supports built in? Thats what is throwing me off here.
I have read you can place some foam pads on the bottom toward the back and get them up to a height where the head unit rests on them to help support some bouncing which I would probably do, but of course still need the cage to mount it at the front.

I don't have the Infinity sound upgrade but I did just install the front speakers from that upgrade (no amp or sub though).
I am just trying to have an inexpensive solution for an aftermarket head unit with a USB or Aux-In port so I can play music through my phone. I have about $25 into it already for the harnesses, antenna extension, and Metra faceplate (which would be needed for any head unit install), and now another $25 for the cage... hmmm. This is all for a head unit that is worth about $40. Starting to wonder if I should buy a brand new $75-80 head unit which will include all mounting brackets and just see if I can sell this one for something.

But thank you for the info, now I know that regardless of the head unit, the cage is a requirement in the Wrangler for install. That is a first for me so I wasn't familiar with it.
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTroll View Post
Thanks,
Thanks for the info, do you also have a similar Metra faceplate without any mounting provisions/arms/supports built in? Thats what is throwing me off here.
I have read you can place some foam pads on the bottom toward the back and get them up to a height where the head unit rests on them to help support some bouncing which I would probably do, but of course still need the cage to mount it at the front.

I don't have the Infinity sound upgrade but I did just install the front speakers from that upgrade (no amp or sub though).
I am just trying to have an inexpensive solution for an aftermarket head unit with a USB or Aux-In port so I can play music through my phone. I have about $25 into it already for the harnesses, antenna extension, and Metra faceplate (which would be needed for any head unit install), and now another $25 for the cage... hmmm. This is all for a head unit that is worth about $40. Starting to wonder if I should buy a brand new $75-80 head unit which will include all mounting brackets and just see if I can sell this one for something.

But thank you for the info, now I know that regardless of the head unit, the cage is a requirement in the Wrangler for install. That is a first for me so I wasn't familiar with it.
Yes, my faceplate only has two bolt holes in it. No support arms or anything. The cage just has tabs you bend onto the faceplate.
You could probably get some of those sticky felt pads people use on furniture to keep from scratching up their floors to raise up the back.

I did get my HU from Amazon for about 60 bucks, has both usb and aux ports. I have Amazon Prime though which made shipping free.
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
BTroll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for the response, there wasn't any information that explained this specifically on the forums or manuals I've read, they just kind of glance over the cage mounting part of things.

Anyway, I won an eBay auction for a Pioneer DEH-2200UB last night for $37.50 shipped, it has a USB port which is what I really wanted to play music and charge my phone and it includes the cage and harness so hopefully I'm good to go. It doesn't have the 'keys' if needed but I've heard any thin pieces of metal or two butter knives can do the trick if you do ever need to release it.
When this one comes in I'll attempt the install by bending the brackets out of the cage and see about some foam pads to support the back corners as well.
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would recommend the Scosche single din adapter. Compared to the Metra it is way thicker plastic and comes with various support tab options. I had the Metra one and without any support tabs it didn't last very long before the whole face cracked.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
BTroll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey fellow Buff... I graduated from CU in 2004... ugh, that was a while ago I guess.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Which kit did you use?

This: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/ins...ting-kit-panel

Or This: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/ins...sh-install-kit

And do you happen to have any photos of that install? Thanks...
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine looks like the one from your first link. I got mine free with head unit through Sonic Electronix so I wasn't really paying attention to part number.

Sorry no pics of install but I can snap one to show you how it looks.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
BTroll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just to follow up, I successfully installed my head unit using the faceplate pictured, and I did support the back by stacking double sided padded tape to the desired height (12 pieces tall worked for me). The head unit cage is obviously an essential part of this which I now know!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.