installing 3 subs and amp in liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > installing 3 subs and amp in liberty

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Mike1127
2003 KJ Liberty 

installing 3 subs and amp in liberty

im installing a Kicker system with 2 10s and 1 12 in a custom box that i build to fit my jeep. i have all the wiring done but i still dont have power to the amp. im guessing a bad ground? i have it grounded on the bolt that connects the seatbelt to the floor of the vechile. is that an ok grounding location? i would have prefered to connect it to a seat bracketbolt but the cable is not long enough. can someone give me some assistance?

Mike1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

fyi mixing sub sizes it not usually a good thing to do unless you know what you're doing or the person who built your enclosure does.

Make sure you have a good connection with your power wire and the right guage wire and the fuses are all funtional. Usually the amp will go into protect if the ground isn't perfect but the power light will still come on.

That said you may need to rig your own ground bolt somewhere on the floor be careful where you drill. Unfortuantely I'm not too familiar with the libby rear set-up but I'm sure there's somewhere for it.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
monstermack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

did you scrape off the paint on the floor pan to expose bare metal at your ground spot?
Unread 05-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on this ^^^^^

Also, are all 3 subs the same resistance (Ohms)? Is the amp you have capable of handling the load? If you are unsure about this, it is best that you read up on your equipment (or post the make/model of your amp & subs so we can help) before you figure out the ground issue or else you might be making another post about your amp/subs not working...

If you already know this information, then ignore this post.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
02gixxersix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Probably the ground. I'm guessing you have the remote turn on lead wired properly. Is it getting power? Are you getting power through your power cable? Is the amp turning on at all? If so have you checked to make sure none of the wiring came loose on any of the subs?
Black 2000 TJ Sport - NV3550 - 30/44 w/ 3.73s - Currie Currectlink Steering - 35" ATs (for now) - 2003 engine and tranny swap - XRC8 - Homebrew Winch Plate - Uniden Pro520XL - Electric Fan - Lock-right in front
(not installed)
02gixxersix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
Mike1127
2003 KJ Liberty 

i dont believe that i am getting power to the amp at all. i just sanded the paint off of where i grounded it but didnt get to try it again because its raining and i didnt get a chance to hook it up yet. Does the remote turn on wire have to be hooked up in order for the amp to work?
Unread 05-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
ZooTech
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1127 View Post
Does the remote turn on wire have to be hooked up in order for the amp to work?
Yes. If it weren't for the remote turn on wire, your amp would stay on 24/7 and kill your battery. If you want to test the amp to see if it works then place a jumper between the remote turn on terminal and the battery "+" on the amp.

On another note, I second the notion that mixing subs is a bad idea. Decide and settle on the two 10's or the one 12 and sell off the other. You'll end of with standing waves and cancellation if you don't. More is not always better.
~ Rough Country Nitro 9000 shocks
~ 31x10.5x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
~ 15x8 black Unique wheels
ZooTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Mike1127
2003 KJ Liberty 

even if the remote turn on wire isnt connected shouldnt i still have power to the amp??? where do i connect the remote turn on wire to? there are 2 pairs of wires coming out of the jack that plugs into the amp. where do these wires get connected to?
Unread 05-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Mike1127
2003 KJ Liberty 

Lack of power to Subs

i build and installed a custom box with 2 kicker 10's and 1 kicker 12 powered by a sony xplod 1000 watt amp. i am getting power to the amp and sound from the subs but my stock speakers in the jeep are 20 times louder. something has to be wrong because with 2 10's and a 12 my whole car should be vibrating. i have tried disconnecting 2 of the subs so that there is just one connected to the amp because i thought the amp might be too weak but there was only a very minor increase. you cannot tell the subs are on by looking at them, they dont move at all, but if you put your hand up to them you can feel a small bit of bass. can anyone think of a reason why this would be?
Unread 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Didley
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Could be a few different things. First, is your ground good? Try and find a bolt that goes into the frame to bolt it under. Also, sanding off the paint so it is on bare metal will help also. Second, what gauge wire are you using for the amp power? It should be wired directly to your battery with a fuse in-line (in addition to those on the amp itself). Next, check the settings on the amp. Most amps have little knobs on the side for gain and bass boost, etc that you need to tune for your application. Third, did you build the box correctly? Each subwoofer has an ideal volume it requires for the box. And then check the settings on your head unit. Make sure your low end isn't set really low. Also make sure your high-pass filter (if it has one) isn't set too low. This tells the subs how high of a frequency it can play.

Hope one of these helps you. Good luck. And just my .02... I'd invest in a better amp. You have pretty good subs, and I think Sony Xplod anything is total crap. The jeep I just bought has them in the sound bar... they won't be there for long.

Also, make sure your subs wire wired in parallel and not in series.
Didley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This is basically a repost...in the future continue your previous thread if the question is about the same component.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/installing-3-subs-amp-liberty-777197/

How do you have the subs wired? I think you are running the wrong ohm load on the amp. What model sony is that? Give us the model numbers or the subs and amp to make it easier to help you.

Also 1000 watts is probably the max...with the wrong ohm load and the much smaller rms watts number which plays a factor. With 3 subs this is most likely the issue. You can run the ohm load numbers using a woofer wiring wizard.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Also as I said in your other post it's never a good idea to mix and match subs unless you know what you're doing. Did you fix your ground issue or were you just guessing it was a ground issue before?
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
BrianAK47
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1127 View Post
even if the remote turn on wire isnt connected shouldnt i still have power to the amp??? where do i connect the remote turn on wire to? there are 2 pairs of wires coming out of the jack that plugs into the amp. where do these wires get connected to?

Not to sound harsh, but with your apparent knowledge of stereo installation, based on the questions you are asking in this and your other post, you may be much better off taking it to a shop and having a professional assist you. You've got too many variables going on than can be simply answered in a forum.
BrianAK47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Mike1127
2003 KJ Liberty 

the ground issue is fixed and everything is working, its just the it is not playin loud. and yes the amp is 1000 watt max it is only an 800 watt amp (i just looked it up now) , but even when i disconnected the 12 and just had the 10's on the amp they still were not playing anywhere near as loud as they should. the 10's are kicker comps and this is the 12 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2067C12...24.html?tp=111
here is the amp http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
Unread 05-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That amp is 2 channel are you running it bridged? If you're running it bridged it must maintain a 4 ohm load, if all 3 of your subs are SVC 4 ohm there is no way to maintain 4 ohms which means your amp is slowly dying. If you have 2 4 ohm subs attached to the amp you need to wire each one to it's own channel (non-bridged) to maintain the 4 ohm load. Again...look at the link to the woofer wiring wizard...look at the specs for your subs and amp this should start to make sense.

Also the amp gives 185x2 or approx 350-400 watts bridged...not anywhere near 800 or 1000 watts.

If you want to run 3 subs you need a 1 ohm stable amp...look into something from hifonics they are inexpensive yet durable and are typically 1 ohm stable. You can find them at the online retailers and on ebay.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19666
Unread 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
RUNIT
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, it's been said. That amp isn't enough power, for one. Two, I'm sure you have alot of phase interference with those subs...different brands and different sizes will all fight against each other ESPECIALLY when mounted in the same enclosure volume.

If you need to keep that amp, remove it all and start with a good enclosure for the 10"s.

I'm willing to bet anything... if you put the two 10"s in a vented enclosure, tuned correctly, it would beat hard enough that you wouldn't even want to mess around with adding the 12". Then if you want more bass? Just get a better amp!!
RUNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.