Install an Amp Under the Dash for fifty cents -Lots of pics - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Install an Amp Under the Dash for fifty cents -Lots of pics

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #61
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post
how's the durability 2 years later?
The aluminum bracket I made is still holding up, which is surprising since it's mostly held together with duct tape. This weekend I was actually planning on getting some plywood and redoing the mount and some wiring.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #62
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
The aluminum bracket I made is still holding up, which is surprising since it's mostly held together with duct tape. This weekend I was actually planning on getting some plywood and redoing the mount and some wiring.
Is yours just flat bar/straps? Are you looking at a benefit other than cost with a plywood upgrade? The durability question that I presented was in reference to the OP's plywood mount. I would like to assume that it's the same as day one, but that's tough to say with the humidity and water exposure of some areas. I'm all for cheap, but if there's a better/best way to do something...that's what I'm using.

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #63
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post
Is yours just flat bar/straps? Are you looking at a benefit other than cost with a plywood upgrade? The durability question that I presented was in reference to the OP's plywood mount. I would like to assume that it's the same as day one, but that's tough to say with the humidity and water exposure of some areas. I'm all for cheap, but if there's a better/best way to do something...that's what I'm using.
The plywood seems more secure. My mount is just flat bar and some 90* angled stock that I cut up and is held together with self tapping screws and duct tape. It's just some scrap I found in the garage. One end is screwed to the firewall the other just sits on the HVAC tube with only duct tape holding it down. It's pretty ghetto.

Have you seen the skinny pedal mount? IIRC it's made out of aluminum. It's where I originally got the idea and didn't want to pay 60$ for it.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #64
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
The plywood seems more secure. My mount is just flat bar and some 90* angled stock that I cut up and is held together with self tapping screws and duct tape. It's just some scrap I found in the garage. One end is screwed to the firewall the other just sits on the HVAC tube with only duct tape holding it down. It's pretty ghetto.

Have you seen the skinny pedal mount? IIRC it's made out of aluminum. It's where I originally got the idea and didn't want to pay 60$ for it.
Nope, I'll fire up Google and see what it is. Thanks.

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #65
Brinbane

Size matters

Excellent thread.

However, size matters for this under dash location. I purchased the Alpine MRP-F300 to drive my front and rear speakers and it's too big for this location or any other location under the dash including side walls or firewall. It also won't fit under the driver or passenger seat. I have a 2005 Wrangler with the seats that raise up and forward to allow a rear passenger easier access.

It looks like it should fit under the dash but the heat sinks push against the heat ducts that run behind the kick plate and that's before I have the board mounted on it. So if you're thinking about this install, find a smaller sized amp. I'll need to return this one.

Dimensions are 9 3/4 x 11 and it's too big on both dimension. It looks like an inch less on both dimensions is the maximum you could go.

I returned the MRP-F300 and purchased the MRV-F300 instead (more money...) but this amp is 8x8 in size. After hours of trial and error I got it to fit. It misses the break pedal by about 1/8 " and leaves a 1/8" air space by the kick plate heating channel. Very tight fit but it works. I also came up with a fastener that worked far easier than a nut and bolt which proved to be impossible. I found a large butterfly toggle that mounts to a 1 inch bolt. This worked perfectly. Once you get the bolt threaded, it will spin and lock up on the side of the steering column so you can just tighten down on the bolt without struggling to keep the nut from spinning or fabricating something wierd to hold it.

Polk Audio speakers 4-6 front, Polk 5 1/4 in the pods and a 6 inch Quadratec direct replacement sub in the console and keeping my stock head unit. Sounds fantastic and painfully loud.
jeep-amp-install1.jpg

jeep-amp-install3.jpg

jeep-amp-install2.jpg

Last edited by Brinbane; 07-29-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Brinbane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #66
mjkjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also just used this space for my Kicker Amp...(very small amp and plenty of space) Thank you OP...Question? Where did you guys fasten the ground wire? I think I either need to sand down the spot I used more (in the engine bay) or find another spot. The amp didn't work this morning but later in the day it worked. Thinking the ground has bad connection. This powers my kicker sub...Center console. Thanks!!
mjkjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.