Install an Amp Under the Dash for fifty cents -Lots of pics - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Install an Amp Under the Dash for fifty cents -Lots of pics

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #31
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietkilo

good to know for others on here, you may have to drill a hole or use 90 degree angle brackets on the steering column bolts.
I think a 90 degree bracket will have to go. There's not really anywhere to drill a hole at.

LA-Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
I think a 90 degree bracket will have to go. There's not really anywhere to drill a hole at.
sorry for not seeing this, just looked back at older threads. Did you get that bracket to work? Do you have pics for the people of the different years that my mount may not work on?

Air Force Loadmaster/Air Force Jeep Club [B]#12[/B]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
julietkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #33
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietkilo View Post
sorry for not seeing this, just looked back at older threads. Did you get that bracket to work? Do you have pics for the people of the different years that my mount may not work on?
Nope, sorry. I havent tried to mount the amp. But I can take a pic of the steering column where the hole should be but isn't if thats what you're asking?
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #34
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

no biggie just wondering.

[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #35
kylo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks for the writeup! I used this to mount my amp last weekend. It is a pioneer GM-D7500M Class-D, which looks to be a similar size to your sony. I used leftover MDF from the Sirgcal in-seat box I used for my sub to make the bracket. The sub is a shallow mount Pioneer and sounds great!

The bracket on my steering column also does not have that hole, which would have been convenient. I used some washers and a couple long bolts to bolt it to some u-shaped parts of the steering column bracket, which look somewhat similar to what you can see in the pictures in your writeup. I am away from my jeep for the next few days, but will post some pics when I can. Hopefully it will help for others with earlier TJ's.
kylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #36
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo View Post
Hey thanks for the writeup! I used this to mount my amp last weekend. It is a pioneer GM-D7500M Class-D, which looks to be a similar size to your sony. I used leftover MDF from the Sirgcal in-seat box I used for my sub to make the bracket. The sub is a shallow mount Pioneer and sounds great!

The bracket on my steering column also does not have that hole, which would have been convenient. I used some washers and a couple long bolts to bolt it to some u-shaped parts of the steering column bracket, which look somewhat similar to what you can see in the pictures in your writeup. I am away from my jeep for the next few days, but will post some pics when I can. Hopefully it will help for others with earlier TJ's.
cool, cant wait to see the pics.

[/B][/SIZE]
Unread 03-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #37
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I had my dash apart today and remembered I said I'd take some pics of the older years setup. In the first one, you could drill a hole where the white dot is and make an angle bracket. Or What I think Kylo did (black lines as bolts). First time I looked at it the idea I came up with was an angle bracket on the steering column mounting studs.
img_0926.jpg   img_0928.jpg  
Unread 08-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #38
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For future reference.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #39
BliZZard911
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mounting an amp upside down is the absolute worst thing you can do.

Heat rises. The heat sinks on an amp are along the side and the entire top side of the unit.

When mounted upside down, you take the entire top side of the heat sink out of play because the heat will go the other way.

Eventually you will fry the amp by overheating it.
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #40
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BliZZard911 View Post
Mounting an amp upside down is the absolute worst thing you can do.

Heat rises. The heat sinks on an amp are along the side and the entire top side of the unit.

When mounted upside down, you take the entire top side of the heat sink out of play because the heat will go the other way.

Eventually you will fry the amp by overheating it.
This is a generalized statement not true for all amps. There are a number of amps designed to be mounted upside down.

My amp for example has a built in cooling fan. It has been mounted upside down in this position for a year and still runs flawlessly.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #41
BliZZard911
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
This is a generalized statement not true for all amps. There are a number of amps designed to be mounted upside down.

My amp for example has a built in cooling fan. It has been mounted upside down in this position for a year and still runs flawlessly.
Yes, you are correct as I should have mentioned - unless stated in the user manual.

However, this statement is true for more than the majority of amps.

And there is not one amp pictured in this entire thread that is designed to be installed upside down.
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #42
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BliZZard911 View Post
Yes, you are correct as I should have mentioned - unless stated in the user manual.

However, this statement is true for more than the majority of amps.

And there is not one amp pictured in this entire thread that is designed to be installed upside down.
How so, because the picture of MY amp in post 11 is certainly can be installed upside down.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #43
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Fan cooled is a good choice for inverted or tight space installs.

Alpine PDX Amps are a great high end easy choice for inverted installs. Also soundstream stealth series, the JL, the kicker, and any of the other micro amps bc they don't use traditional heat sinks.
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
axehead
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Impressive
axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #45
KMacDiddy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did this install last week with Sony XM-1S.

Thanks for the info dude. Install went great. Hooked up the Sony XM-1S to a Kicker 6.5" CVT in the stock location. It sounds great.

Next stop is possibly putting the SSV Works 10" enclosure in place of the stock one so I can get some real low end.

KMacDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.