Install an Amp Under the Dash for fifty cents -Lots of pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Install an Amp Under the Dash for fifty cents -Lots of pics

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 11-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Install an Amp Under the Dash for fifty cents -Lots of pics

You could throw you amp under the seat front or rear and it could get wet, the rear is like a blanket on larger amps and causes heat issues. under the front seat is probably one of the better areas but even if its mounted off the floor its going to see the elements or get splashed if the door is off and you wheel your jeep.

I have the best place I have found with some research on here and being a car audio guy for 13 years I had to do something about the crappy stuff in our Jeeps.

Looks like it will fit. The amp is the only sony amp I would buy, all others I have owned except the old school ES series amps, are walmart quality. Not that that is bad but its just entry level. These XM-1S amps have me astounded. They dont get hot, they are super small, and they are super cheap. I got mine from 6aveelectronics.com for 88 bucks! Wait 500-600 watts RMS for 88? No longer need to spend a buck a watt like the old school days. These are great amps, had em on the bench and I will hit up on that more later.

Here are the dimensions of the board, the one single 1 inch bolt with a lag on it for it to stop spinning when tightening and make sure your holes you drill are tight and snug, use a washer to keep the bolt from going through the hole in the steering column.

Steering wheel in the lowest position no issues.

This amp is too good to be true but it is true and the settings are on the top to allow easy setup in this position.

There is tons of room for a bit larger amp but the board would need to be modified and broght back towards the right to clear the brake pedal. There is a ton of room under here.

I could have used 4 gauge here but I chose 8 for the simple fact the batter is just a few feet away. When figuring for power wire requirements a long long run would need more thickness to create less resistance. This is a short run and I had more 8 gauge than 4 gauge laying around. Lights dont dim and sub hits hard enough to shake my eye sockets. Love this stuff.

I chose a stealthy Ipod/Alpine setup. When it comes to car audio Alpine has always lead the way in my book, even there entry level stuff is awesome. I bought a 4 channel amp and mounted it behind the HVAC controls on this Jeep. The KTP-445 has 45 watts RMS and had a ton of power for the doors and top off audio. I also installed 4" Type S speakers in the pods in the dash and 5.25" Type S speakers in the roll bar pods. An all Alpine System sounds incredible. The subwoofer is a DB Audio 12 but this thread is not about all this stuff, back to the amp.

You would have to know where to find the amp, get a small wrench in behind the steering column, after you get all the wires hacked and still would have trouble getting it out with the board still attached. HAHA

NOW a lot of you, like myself, would rather have aluminum or steel plate and welded in this location. I have a welder and could have fabbed up something real nice but then who would copy it. And there is a company that can sell you one for 50 bucks. But I got excited to do this in a whip cause I figured the average guy on here could do this. It cost me a bolt and a piece of wood from my shop, FREE. You could do this for less than a dollar!!!!

Tell me your thoughts good or bad. I have been installing for 13ish years and most amp racks are made of MDF or some type of wood/fiberglass. This is no diff and now its even safe from the rain, unless its a bad bad rain.

Air Force Loadmaster/Air Force Jeep Club [B]#12[/B]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
julietkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great write up and pics. Stereo upgrade is coming soon for me so this could be useful, thanks.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is fantasic! I've been Putting off doing a stereo upgrade because of space limitations and finally someone finds an amazing spot. Do you have anymore pictures of the alpine amp behind the HVAC controls? I have a clear understanding of the Sony placement but not sure of the alpine.
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You've got me interested. I'm an absolute audio dummy, so why two amps? Do you have the factory sub? I don't so do you have any good recommendations on a small sub that I could fit into a non-sub center console? I've already got some nice 5.25's in the dash and pods and an old Panasonic HU but that's it. This subject just isn't my forte.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up!

The only thing I can think of to say is maybe spray the wood with bedliner to seal it from moisture.

Jay
rubibluejay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You've got me interested. I'm an absolute audio dummy, so why two amps? Do you have the factory sub? I don't so do you have any good recommendations on a small sub that I could fit into a non-sub center console? I've already got some nice 5.25's in the dash and pods and an old Panasonic HU but that's it. This subject just isn't my forte.
The amp (290 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms or 500 watts RMS @ 2 Ohms) under the steering column is just for his sub. The Alpine power pack is an add on amp that boosts the head unit's output to 45 watts RMS (I think that's the correct spec).

If you don't have the factory sub (junk amp & sub IMO), you should look into the 8" sub in a custom enclosure inside the console.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/8...inside-257123/

Jay
rubibluejay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

this is super slick and super cool!!

i already have a amp under the driver seat for my 12 inch kicker in a sealed box but i am adding a small amp for 2 additional 2 ways in my VDP boxes in the rear and it would be pimp to completely hide the amp!

I do have a security alarm installed by previous owner so i need to see how much wiring i can move so an amp will fit under the steering column

amps under the seat never stay in one place and always seem to be vulnerable to weather since TJ's are really never water tight...

great idea thinking outside the box!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit View Post
Great write up and pics. Stereo upgrade is coming soon for me so this could be useful, thanks.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip03TJ View Post
This is fantasic! I've been Putting off doing a stereo upgrade because of space limitations and finally someone finds an amazing spot. Do you have anymore pictures of the alpine amp behind the HVAC controls? I have a clear understanding of the Sony placement but not sure of the alpine.
The Alpine amp is a simple 4 channel class d super compact amp but has to be used with an Alpine Headunit unless you hack off the wires (killing the warranty) and wiring it to a stock head unit or other unit. I bought my Alpine and amp at the same time and they are plug and play. The alpine just simply sits in there is compact size is the size of the hvac control unit just snug it in there and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I have the factory subwoofer still with a kicker in its place. Its a crap stock amp and I have a write up on that as well. The sony is for the subwoofer in the back. Pics coming for the sub, then the Alpine amp runs the alpine type s speakers loud and clear. I can be heard for blocks and after crusing for a while my ears are ringing (wind noise kills my ears anyway) but the sound is loud and clear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
Nice write up!
The only thing I can think of to say is maybe spray the wood with bedliner to seal it from moisture.
Jay
I was going to paint it to seal it, great idea but I dont think its necessary and my goal to make this super simple for anyone wanting to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
The amp (290 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms or 500 watts RMS @ 2 Ohms) under the steering column is just for his sub. The Alpine power pack is an add on amp that boosts the head unit's output to 45 watts RMS (I think that's the correct spec).
If you don't have the factory sub (junk amp & sub IMO), you should look into the 8" sub in a custom enclosure inside the console.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/8...inside-257123/
Jay
What he said. ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
this is super slick and super cool!!

i already have a amp under the driver seat for my 12 inch kicker in a sealed box but i am adding a small amp for 2 additional 2 ways in my VDP boxes in the rear and it would be pimp to completely hide the amp!

I do have a security alarm installed by previous owner so i need to see how much wiring i can move so an amp will fit under the steering column

amps under the seat never stay in one place and always seem to be vulnerable to weather since TJ's are really never water tight...

great idea thinking outside the box!
There is a ton of room down there I bet you could move it easily. The front left corner of the dash has a bunch of room up there too, such a waste of space in such a tight space vehicle.

ALSO check out the XM4S and the XM1S amps they are the same size, one is 4 channel and one is 1 channel.

[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

DB Drive Okur K112d4 in a ported .75 cu ft (1 cu ft total with port) ported. Very loud and I got it at a pawn shop for 50 bucks. Just needed to use my pneumatic nailer to fix it up, sealed with new caulk and recarpeted it. Vioala, super cheap and very good quality sound for cheap. It fits perfectly between the baby seat mounts on the back floor and can be removed for extra storage. The amp is out of the way so I can just unhook two wires and take it out for cargo. I figured the air space for 40Hz tuning. It hits hard enough to move my eyes in their sockets. Weird feeling and it doesnt distort with the 500 watts RMS, sub is only rated for 300 RMS. For 50 bucks this sub is incredible.

[/B][/SIZE]
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

SONY XM1S AMP GUTS

Nice power supply, compact design, Sony isnt the best but you wont find better quality, the right size, and for 88 bucks shipped.

[/B][/SIZE]
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That little Sony is a great amp. Is it an amp I would use in a high quality system? No. But for a Jeep it's great. Cheap, small, and fan cooled so you can get creative with the mounting. I put mine in the same spot, however I think I like your mounting better. I used some scrap aluminum. Can't believe I didn't think to take off the kick panel, would have made things so much easier.

EDIT: I just realized you have the smaller one, which doesn't look like it is fan cooled. I have the 4 channel one which I use to drive my 4 speakers, I don't have a sub.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
That little Sony is a great amp. Is it an amp I would use in a high quality system? No. But for a Jeep it's great. Cheap, small, and fan cooled so you can get creative with the mounting. I put mine in the same spot, however I think I like your mounting better. I used some scrap aluminum. Can't believe I didn't think to take off the kick panel, would have made things so much easier.

(IMAGES REMOVED FOR SPACE)

EDIT: I just realized you have the smaller one, which doesn't look like it is fan cooled. I have the 4 channel one which I use to drive my 4 speakers, I don't have a sub.
Mine doesnt have a fan but I believe they are the same size, your 4 channel is the brother to my mono amp.

The 4 channel is an AB class amp and gets hotter than a class D, the fan is required to keep the small amp cool on the 4 channel model. My amp has 2x30 amp fuses and stays cool to the touch. I believe a good rule of thumb is to take the amp fuse rating total, 60, and multiply it by automotive 14.4 volts. That equals 864 watts. The 500 Watt RMS is very realistic for this amps real world power and is a great amount for our top off Jeeps. It blew my subwoofer today and I swaped out my blown sub for one I had in the garage lying around. Gonna have to get a more powerful sub. RIP DB DRIVE SUBWOOFER.

[/B][/SIZE]
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
wahooz04jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietkilo View Post
Thanks

The Alpine amp is a simple 4 channel class d super compact amp but has to be used with an Alpine Headunit unless you hack off the wires (killing the warranty) and wiring it to a stock head unit or other unit. I bought my Alpine and amp at the same time and they are plug and play. The alpine just simply sits in there is compact size is the size of the hvac control unit just snug it in there and done.

I have the factory subwoofer still with a kicker in its place. Its a crap stock amp and I have a write up on that as well. The sony is for the subwoofer in the back. Pics coming for the sub, then the Alpine amp runs the alpine type s speakers loud and clear. I can be heard for blocks and after crusing for a while my ears are ringing (wind noise kills my ears anyway) but the sound is loud and clear!

I was going to paint it to seal it, great idea but I dont think its necessary and my goal to make this super simple for anyone wanting to do this.

What he said. ^

There is a ton of room down there I bet you could move it easily. The front left corner of the dash has a bunch of room up there too, such a waste of space in such a tight space vehicle.

ALSO check out the XM4S and the XM1S amps they are the same size, one is 4 channel and one is 1 channel.
Where did you find the 4 channel amps? I am interested in a 4 channel amp as to where I can run to 6.5's off of two channels and bridge two channels into my Kicker sub in the console. Can anyone please advise or send a link? I'm really digging this hidden spot for the amp.

OlllllllO http://dirtroad.com/jeepwave/ I wave
wahooz04jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooz04jeep View Post
Where did you find the 4 channel amps? I am interested in a 4 channel amp as to where I can run to 6.5's off of two channels and bridge two channels into my Kicker sub in the console. Can anyone please advise or send a link? I'm really digging this hidden spot for the amp.
Got all my stuff from crutchfield. The alpine amp is not to be bridged but run 4 independent speakers from the head units outputs. You must use a seperate amp for a sub with this tiny Alpine amp. However you can use the sony 4 channel XM4S for this duty. two channels for the 6.5's and two bridged to a 4 ohm subwoofer, then tuck the amp where I have shown under the dash.

[/B][/SIZE]
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, you can bridge the rear channels for a sub. The rear channels then have the proper filter and bass controls. I got mine from sonic for around 150. And I'm pretty sure it is a class D amp, I would have to go look on the sony website though.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.