Install of amp and tuffy speaker console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Install of amp and tuffy speaker console

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 05-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
Molotov

Install of amp and tuffy speaker console

I just ordered a new Tuffy console(full speaker #0066) to replace my crappy half one that came stock on my 04 TJ. Once it arrives i'm going to install it a sub and amp. I installed my current head unit and speakers myself but have never done an amp/sub before.

Are there any pitfalls i should know to avoid? I found a nice little walkthru of installing a similar Tuffy console on nakedjeep.com.

Whats the ideal spot for an amp on an 04 TJ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Molotov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
SirGCal

Well, it depends, are you using a stock sub/amp or going to go aftermarket? If your going aftermarket on the tuffy console, you'll have to build a custom box to house the sub which fits inside the tuffy and doesn't block the e-brake. You could fit an 8" in there pretty easily. Then you need a place for the amp to power it. (with the sub in there, it's doubtful you'd get an aftermarket amp to fit short of the xtant 1.1.)

Installing them is farily strait forward, you need adequite power wire for the amp, a fuse, ground wire, RCA wires (or speaker level inputs on the amp or a PAC line-level converter) speaker wire (16-12 AWG for subs normally, depending on their power) and a remote signal wire (18-16 AWG is more than enough...).

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
Molotov

Make my own box, Doh! I've never done that, anyone have specs for that.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Unread 05-06-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
SirGCal

Doug on webshots has a small write up. No clear cut plans but he did put the measurements on there. I havn't saved any of my designs for public use yet but the next one I do I will.

Doug's stuff: http://community.webshots.com/album/63423573sSraTy

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 05-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Molotov

Good link, some of the pics have measurements which will be a nice guideline(i'll do my own for exactness).

So assuming i get the sub box made and setup, is there a spot for the amp that you would recommend, i haven't bought the sub or amp, so i'm open to suggestions anyone has.

On a side note i checked out your site SirGCal and that sub in the rear seat is damn nice. If i had more confidence in my skills i would love to give that a try.
Unread 05-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
SirGCal

If your putting the sub in the center console, then under the rear seat is an option for the amp the one thing about that location is you don't have to worry as much on amp physical sizes. Other locations include under the dash (hard) and driver's seat or inside an insta-trunk.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.