Inseat sub box question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Inseat sub box question

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-22-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
blorge

Inseat sub box question

This may best be answered by SirG, but will throw it out to all. I am thinking about building the rear in seat sub box, and was wanting to buy either an 8" or 10" kicker solobaric sub. they are rated at 400 watts RMS, so I have a few questions.

1. Will the sub work, I beleive that the 8" is 4 11/16 inches deep?
2. What is a good wattage amp to go with to push the speaker, and what brand of amplifier do you recommend?

I was thinking off mounting the speaker off to one side and then mounting the amp next to the sub, possibly even recessing it for a cleaner look.

blorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
SirGCal

For the S8L5 (4.75" mounting depth), you could run one of em. Actually you could run two of em but it will be tight. Minimum volume for one of those 8" squares are .33 ft^3, the large in-seat box has .87 ft^3 (not including volume consumed by the sub itself) so it's going to be tight but it should work. I would also add a full amount of polyfill to the box too though cause those subs like more around .5ft^3 each...

Now, assuming you want to run two S8L5's (as I figure you're thinking of doing), you would want to get the 2-ohms (per coil) version to make getting the amp cheaper. Then you would wire them up to show the amp a total of 2-ohms using a method similar to this: [/url]http://www.sirgcal.com/images/dvc.jpg[/url]

Then you need an amp that puts out up to 600Wx1 @ 2-ohms. (400W+ would work great...) Maybe: Alpine MRP-M450 (400W), Alpine MRP-M650 (600W), Alpine MRD-M605 (600W), Kicker ZX400.1 (400W), MTX Thunder TC 4001 (400W), Polk MOMO C500.1 (500W), Audiobahn A12005DN (600W), Rockford Fosgate Punch P6001BD (600W) to name a few...

To run the 4-ohm subs instead, you might also save by finding a 2-channel amp and bridging it to 4-ohms (like the above url). Amps that would work good with a pair of 4-ohm L5 8" subs: Profile HA1000 (480W), Profile AP1000 (480W), Profile AP1200 (600W), Sony XM-2002GTR (500W), Kenwood KAC-7252 (500W) to name a few...

If you're wanting to run just one, then you need an amp that does 150-300W RMS at 2 or 4-ohms. If the amp does that at 2-ohms, get the 4-ohm sub and wire them in parallel. If the amp does it at 4-ohms, get the 2-ohm sub and wire it in series.

A good example might be the Profile AP600 (300Wx1 @ 4-ohms). Wire that up to a 2-ohm S8L5 wired coils in series (like one of the subs in the above diagram) to show the amp a 4-ohm total impedance. Or a Rockford Fosgate Punch P3001 (300Wx1 @ 2-ohms) wired to a 4-ohm S8L5 with the coils in parallel (each coil to the same amp's outputs directly is the easiest to explain it).

WORD OF CAUTION THOUGH! If you plan to run the L5's in the seat, you may need additional bracing to keep the box from resonating. That's a lot of power for 5/8" material. Upgrading to 3/4" would be nice but you would lose internal volume you need for them. So it's a catch 22... I would go bracing in this situation. Add plenty and rubberize the inside. Should be ok.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
blorge

WOW, thanks for the great info!!!!

I am gonna run just one dual voice coil 4 ohm S8L7, so I will need a 400 watt amp. I partition the box off to make it .5 cubic feet and add to the structural integrity.
Unread 08-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
blorge

Ok, so I just purchased the

Alpine MRP-M450 and the S8L7 4 ohm 8 inch speaker.

total $250.00 not too bad!!! will post pictures when i am done...
Unread 08-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

good luck blorge!

measure 10x, cut once, especially on chris' design.

takes some pics a long the way to keep the electrical section lurker's happy!
~J
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
Torn66

Definetly keep us posted. My brother has solobariks and they are amazing..Im building my box now and havent decided on amp/sub(s) yet...would love to jear opinions
Unread 08-27-2006, 06:43 AM   #7
blorge

I started the box over the weekend. Should be done by the end of the week. the little solo baric 8" looks pretty inpressive pulling it from the box that it was sent in... I cant wait!!!!
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
msavard
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Please track this install with instructions and photographs. I'm very interested in doing the same install and would love to follow in your footsteps.
4.0L Auto 35" Maxxis Bighorns D30/D44 w 4.88 Gears 2.5" OME LJ/XJ lift JKS Trackbars Brown Dog MML 1" BL Warn Engine Skid Aussie Locker (FR) / Rubi Air Locker (REAR) SYE/CV Nth Adj Control Arms Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier PSC Rocker Knockers ORO Swayloc TNT Tube Fenders

MIDSOUTH JEEP CLUB > Jeepers from TN, AR, MS, and KY
msavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
blorge

Well after some tough box building, I have the box installed. I must say that now my rear seat feels much higher than before. Hope no one hits there heat on the roof!! I didnt get any photos of the building of the box, but sirG has plenty of great photos on his website www.sirgcal.com. I will try to get a photo of the finished product.
Unread 09-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #10
slowTJ88
1992 MJ Comanche 

Blorge/SirG/anyone else,
I am planning on doing this in the near future. One thing that I have not seen anything about and been curious about is speaker terminals. I plan on using a single 10". Where would you recommend putting the terminal?
Thanks.
1992 Comanche 4x4
slowTJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 06:44 AM   #11
blorge

I put the terminal on the side of the box, and just fished the wire to a hole in the seat fabric by the bottom front corner so there is no binding on the wire when the seat is moved up and down.
Unread 09-04-2006, 02:51 AM   #12
SirGCal

I didn't put terminals in the box. Simply using a wood-pinching method for holding the wire through the box without leaks (hard to explain. but small piece of wood with a channel chissled out, pinching the wire at a 90deg angle when it exits through a hole in the box, stuffed with silicone also.) followed by deans connectors. I did it at the front side of the box in the space for the seat hardware.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.