Input on amp and subwoofer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Input on amp and subwoofer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

Input on amp and subwoofer

Hello,

I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty KK without Infinity System. However, I have installed the following pieces last weekend
Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-X2500BT w/ CD-IV202AV cord for iPhone 5s
Front: Infinity PR6500cs components 5-80watts
Rear: Infinity PR6502is 5-70watts

I now have decided I need some low end. I am wrestling between a powered bazooka or Infinity Basslink, or going with a 10" sub / ported enclosure and amp.

I know alot of this is personal preference, but I have searched forums and such without much luck as to owners of jeep bragging about their sub setup. I am 40 with 4 kids, so I don't want too equal the sound of a 64 sitt'in on 20's rolling down Crenshaw... But that being said, our family listens to country to rap and everything in between.

If I do the sub and amp route, I am leaning in two directions:
10" Alpine Type R with Alpine Mono amp

or

10" NVX with NVX Mono

Please, indulge me with your thoughts

At The Helm Roof Rack & Front Recovery System
bwsooner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
marcosmmmark

I have a 2000 Cherokee I'm also 40 with kids. I have a dual media center a planet audio 1350 watt mono( only about 1/3 power) and 2- 12" realm subs in a ported enclosure plus various highs and mids I go all out go big or go home I say. But I definatly see where someone wouldn't lol. Any how deffinatly go mono on your amp and I highly suggest a realm12 " with dual voice coils in ported enclosure. Just google realm subs and check them out You won't be dissapoi
nted. Mine will literally take your breath. Best of luck and happy thumping lol. Make sure to position sup pointing toward the rear of vehicle for suppierior sound

sent from Marcos
marcosmmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I spent over a decade in the automotive sound/electronics field.
I have designed, built, and installed literally thousands of systems over the years.
One question that will substantially narrow down your results, is this:
"what kind of music do you listen to, and how loud do you like to listen to it?"

Rock (modern or classic) and country music sound best thru a sealed enclosure.
Meaning one that does not have a port in it.
Jazz, pop, r&b/hip-hop benefit greatly from a ported/vented enclosure.

The brands/models you have listed are pretty good, and I cant say anything bad about them.
Your Pioneer head unit I believe has the pre-outs for subwoofer control.
That will be great for a family rig, as you can drop the level when you're hauling the kids around.
When you're commuting, you can crank it up a bit.

Now as far as how far to go with it..... we go back to the original question.
"what kind of music do you listen to, and how loud do you like to listen to it?"

a 100w amplified sub/system will give you a nice clean "low-fill" .... you'll have a little bit of headroom to it when you want to crank it up for that favorite song.... but you'll quickly run out of juice.
Stepping up to the range of 150w or even 250w will not only give you a great clean sound at lower volume levels, but give you plenty plenty of headroom for higher volume levels.
By headroom I mean it will take longer for you to reach the point of distortion/clipping as you increase the volume level.
I've never been too terribly fond of the "all in one" systems like the "bazooka tubes" or even the infinity basslink.
Infinity DOES make some decent stuff, and their speakers have long held a decent reputation in the aftermarket field.
However I stand by my statement that an "all in one" like the basslink just does not perform or sound as good as other solutions.

I'm pushing 40 myself, but have been an audiophile most of my life. I know the difference between DB and SQ (decibel and sound quality.)
Judging by your original post, and what you have into the Jeep thus far, I would say you're definitely after more of a QUALITY sound.
You've hit the mark choosing a 10" sub for the size you want to shoot for.
It's enough surface area to move enough air to produce some of the lower frequencies found across a larger spectrum of music.
Yet it's small enough to not take up too much cargo room, while still being able to produce a nice tight snappy bottom end.

Taking all that into consideration, Alpine makes some great sounding and great performing gear.
You wouldn't be disappointed going with the Type R and a monoblock amp.
However space may come into consideration as far as the amp goes.
NVX monoblock amps are of the digital variety, they perform well enough, and are small enough to put virtually anywhere to keep them secure, and out of sight.
Both Alpine and NVX's digital monoblock amps put out PLENTY of power, honestly more than you'll need, and will sound great with the system you have.
I would highly suggest heading down to one of your more reputable car audio stores, the Car Toys in Tulsa is a good store, and will have a great selection of stuff for you to listen to. I'm not sure if they carry NVX, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something thats not only going to fit your budget, but will provide you the sound your looking for.
Also, if you're having someone else do the install, make sure they are MECP certified.
This not only guarantees you're getting top notch work, but that the work will be guaranteed, and trouble free for the life of your vehicle.

That's really the bottom line. GO LISTEN to some stuff...get a feel for whats out there, and what suits best for what you listen to. (bring a CD)
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have, and I'll do my best to answer them.
Hope this helps!
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
One question that will substantially narrow down your results, is this:

It helped push me in the direction I was leaning the most, NO ALL IN ONE. I would rather have more than I need and enjoy premium sound than get something installed and be disappointed.

However, I am not going to break the bank on this one like my last vehicles so I will probably go the NVX route in place of the Alpine.

My family listens to music that puts us in the ported/vent enclosures the most.

Since you seem to be in line with my tastes plus have the install background, would you go with a 5 channel and put power on the infinity mids and highs and send some umph to the sub or (1) 4 channel with (1) mono?

For 5 channel I was looking at this setup.
NVX JAD900.5 $300 and the NVX VSW104 $90 with a custom box made locally.

For 2 amps I was thinking this:
Alpine MRP-M500 mono $130 and
Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel $130. The sub being Alpine-SWR-10D4 $140 or mentioned above NVX

What do you think?

Here is a wild card Sub Polk Audio DXi 104 for $40, your thoughts?
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am a BIG fan of 5ch amps....for the simple reason of performance.
In fact I WAS going to bring up a suggestion of amplifying the rest of your system, merely to keep up with the sub,
but also to provide a better more efficient band of frequencies to the Infinity's.
You'll actually GAIN headroom, by limiting the amount of low end going to the door speakers.

I like the NVX JAD900.5 amp, especially for the price.
MOSFET power supplies have long been proven to be sound and reliable.
Although the built in crossovers are not the best in the industry, the 24db/octave is respectable none the less,
and for your application will work just fine.
I especially like the remotely mounted sub control.
This is a nice feature that I think you'll use quite a bit.

I'm glad you're looking a the NVX VSW104 sub.
A dual voice coil sub is going to be the ideal solution for this system, and will really maximize the output available for the sub channel of the amp.
The polk is a great sub, and a great price, but not the best speaker for this set up.
Getting a 2ohm load at the bottom stage of that amp is going to give you the output you're looking for.

And as far as getting the most of it, I WOULD insist on having a box custom made to the specs (air space/enclosure volume) from the manufacturer.
One thing on this.... just an added little bonus/trick to ask for.
When building an enclosure insist on having them use 3/4" HDF or MDF at the very least. Dont settle for 1/2" or 5/8".
Once the enclose is built, have them coat the inside with a layer of fiberglass resin. This not only seals the wood itself, but also creates an impermeable seal of all the seams, AND increases wall rigidity of the enclosure as a whole.
Granted, this is more important in sealed enclosures, but will create a noticeable difference in any box none the less.

One thing that you may not like on the 5ch amp is going to be mounting location.
They do take up a bit of room.
Typically something like that would be mounted to the back of the rear seat,
as they wont typically be small enough to go under a seat.
Whatever you do, dont let them just screw it to the side of the box. This may mean you sacrifice a little cargo room when folding the seat down, but may be the best choice for this particular system.
I'm not sure if the 2008's have that pop up little cubby in the floor in the back, but if so, this would be an IDEAL location for the amp.

You're on the right track, and it sounds like you know what you're looking for.
Keep shopping around, and find a place that will do some price matching on the items you're looking for.
I think in the end you're going to be pleasantly surprised with just how good your system is going to sound when it's done.

One last word of advice. I would sit in on the tuning session with the installer after the install is done.
Make sure all the EQ settings on the deck are set at ZERO across the board.
Have them use one of YOUR more favorite tracks to tune the system to.
I cant tell you how many times I have seen installers tune the system to THEIR taste in music and not the owner of vehicles taste.
Low and behold, the customer comes back in a week complaining about the systems performance.
You may not have your choice of installer, but I would look to have the tuning done by a more seasoned installer, who will most likely have a better trained ear. In the end, you may end up tweaking the system yourself.
This usually takes some time, and can be quite tedious but in the end, you'll get good results.
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
WJefy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ
I spent over a decade in the automotive sound/electronics field. I have designed, built, and installed literally thousands of systems over the years. One question that will substantially narrow down your results, is this: "what kind of music do you listen to, and how loud do you like to listen to it?"
+1^^

Same here to pretty much everything, except I have found that I like a sealed 10" sub even in the case of rap/hip-hop and especially jazz. Just make sure there is good power behind it.

Nicely stated, NW99XJ.

I have an '04 GC, turned 40 last June, 7 kiddos. Still like my system and my wife is jealous of my Jeep and my nice stereo.
WJefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

The Type R is very powerful when given the right amount of juice. It's probably more bass than you realize! I have had both a 10" type R and 10" type X in my Xterra. . Love them both dearly.

Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ditto on the10" type r being a beast and great choice but try to give it power more in the high end of the spectrum of rms, my gen was rated for 500 watts, I'm giving it 550 and it hits hard. You're really going to want to power at least the front stage if you go type r or you'll have more bass than mids/highs. While a 5 channel is a great idea for a compact, easy install, it'll be hard to find one with enough power for a type r that will also match your mids. That nvx you posted would be okay but keep in mind the type r will perform better on more than the 440 watts.
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

Ended up with an Alpine MRP-M500 amp and 10" type S alpine sub, it's almost TOO much. Even my side mirrors get out of whack

"if it's on the internet, it must be true" ~ Abraham Lincoln
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsooner6 View Post
Ended up with an Alpine MRP-M500 amp and 10" type S alpine sub, it's almost TOO much. Even my side mirrors get out of whack

Lol. That's an awesome quote! And good choice on sub. I had a feeling that the Type r might be a little too much for you because of your first post. Enjoy the heck out of it!
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thats a decent set up, part of me was really hoping you'd go with the 5ch amp.....
Can I ask what made you go THIS direction instead?
(not complaining or judging at all - just curious)
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ
Thats a decent set up, part of me was really hoping you'd go with the 5ch amp..... Can I ask what made you go THIS direction instead? (not complaining or judging at all - just curious)
My infinity components are loud and clear being pushed by the pioneer head unit, sound good with the bass. No need now, of I change my mind I'll Add later. Used 4 gauge with power distribution, so other amp add will be easy. I'll try and get a video of it for your thoughts

Unread 12-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

I made this video today of my few builds and stereo

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I say go with a sundown e10d4 or e12d4, in the appropriate size box, with the mrp500 amp

I have a sundown e10 in a 1.78 cu ft box tuned to 33ish hz in my tj , it gets loud and sounds good. I listen to all genres of music, and it works great playing all of them
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer
I say go with a sundown e10d4 or e12d4, in the appropriate size box, with the mrp500 amp I have a sundown e10 in a 1.78 cu ft box tuned to 33ish hz in my tj , it gets loud and sounds good. I listen to all genres of music, and it works great playing all of them
Thanks, but I'm very happy with my Alpine 10" S

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.