Infrared Dual-Zone Climate Control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Infrared Dual-Zone Climate Control

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
gla62
1999 WJ 

Infrared Dual-Zone Climate Control

Hi, just purchased my first Jeep, a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited. When I test drove this at the dealership, notice the a/c was blowing warm. They charged the system w/ R-134 and it blew cold for a week. Today, heading to work, I noticed the a/c was no longer cold, so apparently I have a refrigerant leak somewhere. Now tonight while driving about 8 miles, while the blower was on manual "high" mode and the right mode knob at the "panel" setting, they system shut down, meaning the blower stopped blowing completely. I rotated the mode knob to the 'off' setting, then back to the 'panel' setting and the system came on. On the way back home, after having the Jeep off a few minutes to get gas, it did this again. It seems as when I depress the a/c button, the system starts up again. It worked fine for a week, now that it's apparently out of refrigerant, it's acting like this. Is this just due to being out of the refrigerant??

Any help would be appreciated as I bought this old of a vehicle obviously without any warranty. I love this vehicle otherwise, however it was 115 heat index today so the a/c would sure be great. I am guessing the place to start is having a mechanic refill the refrigerant after fixing the leak and see if that takes care of the intermittent issues it's now doing???

**UPDATE** Took my Jeep to the dealer. He tells me I need a resistor for the blower and also a new evaporator core. Total repair bill $1600. I told him to replace the resistor & that I'd try to fix the evaporator core myself. I understand this entails tearing the entire dash apart. Anyone have any suggestions or a step by step account of this? Also a good place to purchase the evaporator core? I'm seeing them on eBay for around $70, much less than the $500 my dealer quoted me.

Thanks!

Last edited by gla62; 08-03-2011 at 10:15 AM..
gla62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c , climate control

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.