Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Indiscreet iPod install

760 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  96xj2.5 
#1 ·
After numerous attempts to install my iPod in my XJ, I finally came across a way in which I could mount my iPod and power it in an indiscreet manner. So...I thought I would share my experience.

This method works if you have the stock radio with cassette. Instead of having the wire hanging in front of the tape deck (from the cassette adapter) I simply removed the face plate off the stock radio and inserted the cassette adapter and ran the wire behind the plate. When you reinstall the face place, you can even have the cassette door mechanism close over the inserted cassette adapter so it appears as if nothing is even inserted.

I then wanted to still be able to utilize BOTH power outlets rather than having one being used for the iPod charger. To resolve this problem, I simply purchased a cigarette assembly that I spliced into the factory cigarette lighter. I mounted the new assembly below the defrost/wiper switches behind the center dash assembly. If you have a newer newer XJ, you will notice that there is room to mount the cigarette assembly with the charging unit inserted (in my case a Belkin unit that has an output for the cassette adapter right on the plug that fits in the cigarette lighter) near the bottom behind the center console. You simply then snap the center console back on and everything is hidden and you still have two available power outlets.

I then mounted the iPod in one of those cell phone holders. The only line coming out is the plug to power the iPod which is run under the center floor console. As a result, you get a very clean install without having to spend a lot of dough. Just a suggestion!!

See less See more
#3 ·
the way that i did it is that i got the cigarette adapter and then got a stereo to RCA adapter and plugged it into the input part in the back of my head unit. i have to control the volume from the cig adapter, but that's fine with me. easy install, clean, and easy control with the ipod in either my lap or in one of those cell phone holders you have. the stereo to RCA was about $6 from walmart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.