Ignition switch question, Dropping in new harness into a DJ-5d - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Ignition switch question, Dropping in new harness into a DJ-5d

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
LEGOJeep
1976 DJ 

Ignition switch question, Dropping in new harness into a DJ-5d

I'm fixing up my jeep, the LEGOJeep, after an electrical fire and a janky temp job done by a mechanic, so have run across a few questions.

I've ordered a painless wiring harness and realized the ignition switch that was put in after the electrical fire only had 3 prongs on it.

As far as I can tell I should have 4 prongs from looking at the OEM version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POSTAL-MAIL-...item5651b25a7b

Anyone have any ideas on any issues of 25 amp vs 30 amp ignition switch?

As an expediency and due to budget limitations I have ordered the Painless 80153 which is rated 25 amps. About $19. There is a $52 painless waterproof version # 80529 that is 30 amp, but hopefully I do not require it.

I plan to use liquid tape to insulate the new connections.

I had the electrical fire at the ignition and I don't want to have a repeat.

In part since I just dropped $500 on the 10142 Painless wiring harness.

The tech at Painless really did not give me a good reason for one or the other - besides waterproof.

As I don't have the OEM switch and was not able to order the OEM one from out of state in time for this repair, so I don't know what its specs were.

thanks!
kevin

LEGOJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.