Ignition/engine won't shut down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Ignition/engine won't shut down

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
mrchad
1978 CJ7 

Ignition/engine won't shut down

Hi there,
I have just had the same problem ( ignition/ motor won't shut down ) and came to this sight for some help. I'm sure the answer to my problem is on this sight regarding the "excite wire" but It did not click in my brain as to what was being said at the time. I thought it necessary to post here for the next person who could use a simpler explanation.
READY,
I tossed the old alternator out and installed a high output = thinking it best. The new alternator is called a 1 wire ALT. but my original plug with 2 wires fits perfectly in the new high output ALT. It did not happen right away, probably a month or so till I got home and it would not shut off! My only prior tell tail signs were my oil pressure gauge needle was ticking up and down 1/2" when the key/ power was off. Previously had worked fine and did not act like this. Also my back up lights were hot with ignition off and the voltage was pulsating bright to dim.
THE FIX
I simply cut the extra wire from the Alt. plug that ran into the loom/harness(brown). Making it a 1 wire connection. It had to be back feeding and what not. My coil lost a bit of oil on the intake, but other than that it has been recovering well.
chad

mrchad is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.