If you can figure out this problem, I owe you a case of beer! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > If you can figure out this problem, I owe you a case of beer!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
hhisc383
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you can figure out this problem, I owe you a case of beer!

I have been installing systems in my vehicles for over 10 years and have never had anything as strange as this happen...

I am running 4 8" Infinity Reference 860W subwoofers. Nothing about the setup changed except the new subs and new custom box. Amp is the same, deck is the same, wiring is the same.

Here is the bizarre happenings: When I'm driving down the road with my windows UP, the subs sound amazing! But as soon as I roll down my window even 1/4 of the way, the subs sound like they are distorting, making a sort of 'pop' noise. If I am parked and my window is down, they sound fine...

It also does this at low volume or high volume, so it's not an over-power to the sub problem.

So long story short, it seems to only happen when I am driving 30mph+ and have my window rolled down. The noise is definitely the subs, as it does the 'pop' on almost every note.

Figure it out, win a case of beer! Seriously! It's driving me NUTS :

Unread 10-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
hhisc383
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I should also mention, I double-checked all wiring, even taking out each sub and making sure I had everything hooked up properly.
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
wjguru86

what youre most likely experiencing is a low frequency transfer function. Which is simply the overall effect that the environment has on the freqeuncy response and amplitudes of a sound pattern. The most noticeable time this happens is when you take a subwoofer out of the vehicle and put it on the floor. It is much louder inside of the vehicle because of the environment. All you can really do is try placing the enclosure in different places and firing in differnt directions if possible.

another possibilty is if your subwoofers are in a sealed enclosure it may not be air tight. with the windows up you are basically creating a sealed environment (although not an ideal one) for the subwoofer. and when the windows are down at higher speeds the air pressure of the vehicle changes and could effect how the subwoofers sound if not properly sealed.
wjguru86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
itzfreddie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

from my knowledge, i could assume that there may be a pressure change when the air is bein forced into the back, causing the subs unable to kick at full power?
itzfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
hhisc383
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm...I didn't think there was enough pressure to affect the subs in quite a drastic way. If I were going down the highway at 70mph and had the window just right, then I could see that possibly happening...but you think it would do that even at 30mph? Thanks for the theories! It might be just that..
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
popcancherokee
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Get some window vent shades it will deflect the air from comming in as much.
popcancherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

How many ohms are you running at the amp and at the speakers.

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
hhisc383
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_WJ View Post
How many ohms are you running at the amp and at the speakers.
The amp is 1 ohm stable and the subs are each SVC 4 Ohm, so the total load wired in parallel is 1 ohm
Unread 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Alkd
2004 WJ 

My first thought would be pressure change as well but at only 30mph i wouldn't imagine that to be enough to disrupt much with the amount of power behind them. My only other thought would be to check your custom box dimensions and the specs on your subs for how many cubic feet they require per sub. Too much or too little enclosure space combo'd with the pressure change might do it IMO
Alkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When you are driving with the window down the inside of the vehicle is in a low pressure state. If you have a soft top you could see the windows suck in with the windows even slightly cracked.
You want to verify this crack the windows slightly to create the crack sound then turn the blower on high and cool so outside are is forced into the cabin balancing the pressure back to zero or positive pressure.

Not sure on the pop noise. Possibly the new enclosure is air tight and with the pressure differential the sub cone is already out or even vibrating. Like a motor to a generator if you apply a voltage to a motor the shaft spins. If you spin the shaft with no voltage supplied you create a current. So in a speaker system, the speaker moves when an oscillating current passes through the magnet interacting with the cone causing it to vibrate. With a large enough cone and vibration you may be generating a voltage that once builds to a point it discharges causing the crack. As it builds it distorts the sound. Or possibly it is hitting its max outward position due to the offset fron the vac condition.

Is the enclosure fairly tight? Drill a hole in it to equalize the pressure. Or buy quieter tires.
Unread 10-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
FastEvo4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What type of box is this in? How loud do they get and how do they sound with the windows up? Pics would help.
FastEvo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
dmchenry35

It's clearly because the window is down and simple trouble shooting would tell you that. Nothing else changes when the window is up, compared to when the window is down except for the amount of pressure in the vehicle. Even at a dead stop the pressure is different. The air can escape easier from the window being down and drops the pressure of the vehicle.
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They're right about the sound pressure. You're box is rear facing (your other thread had pics) this is why sirgcal said downfiring is optimal in a wrangler.

Here's a suggestion...build a top for your box that encloses the top all the way to the tailgate (no gap), think install trunk.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.