I want a big, clunky, ugly aftermarket head unit. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > I want a big, clunky, ugly aftermarket head unit.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Camio
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I want a big, clunky, ugly aftermarket head unit.

I want a new head unit. The knob in my 98 TJ's stock unit only works half the time, and I also really want an aux in. So it's time to find an aftermarket unit. However, I HATE every head unit I've found. They all have tiny buttons, obnoxious and bright displays, and are so complicated that I can't figure out how to change the station without fighting with it for 5 minutes. They are all apparently designed for people with Barbie doll-sized fingers who don't mind looking down from the road for a solid minute to change the station, and who never ever drive over a bump. Oh, and they're also designed for people who can get away with a flashy head unit, because their cars actually lock.
Now, what I want is a huge head unit that's actually easy to use and not flashy. I want it to have big clunky buttons that I can find without looking away from the road and a simple display and an aux in. That's all I want. Are there any head units made for people like me, who want the quality of aftermarket, without all the BS on most aftermarket units? Or maybe there's even an OEM unit out of a different vehicle that is relatively cheap and good quality? Please help!

Unread 03-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Put another stock head unit in. Nobody wants that massive POS, so it will never get stolen. Infact, there's probably 10 of them on eBay right now.

If you want a better head unit then you are going to have to get used to pushing buttons. Once you're acquainted with a HU, it's not hard to change stations or songs while driving. Plus, if you took the time to read the manual then you could understand how the entire unti works
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Put another stock head unit in. Nobody wants that massive POS, so it will never get stolen. Infact, there's probably 10 of them on eBay right now.

If you want a better head unit then you are going to have to get used to pushing buttons. Once you're acquainted with a HU, it's not hard to change stations or songs while driving. Plus, if you took the time to read the manual then you could understand how the entire unti works
X2 and just about every aftermarket HU has something called a "Detachable faceplate" so you can remove it when you park your Jeep and render the stereo almost useless to a thief
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Try looking a the DVD in dash players. Most still play CDs or have aux in but not much for a screen readout. You could look at nakamichi but for the $ id just learn to deal lol. Edit: I see one at woofersetc.com for $160.

I feel ya tho...my alpine has a search button that when hit freezes everything to search. I've accidentally hit that button so many times trying to mute or just turn the volume down. Frustrating!
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Oclvframe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have two stock head units...both are RBK single cd units. One is an 03 and the other a 05...I'll sell them cheap....LMK.

-r
Oclvframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Camio
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips. Not interested in a stock unit unless it has an aux in though. I have 2 extra stock units sitting in the garage, don't need another unless it has aux in.
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
MosesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

this one isnt to flashy and has some beefy sized buttons not priced to bad either there are tons to choose from on this site
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...oss-822UA.html
Unread 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
dmchenry35

Pioneer FTW! http://amzn.to/zjWt5L
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
driggity
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Check out the Jensen Heavy Duty line of head units. I'm considering them because I dislike other head units for many of the same reasons you do.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ran a Jensen in my yj...surprisingly for its $ it was a good solid unit.
Unread 03-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
theglide
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesYJ View Post
this one isnt to flashy and has some beefy sized buttons not priced to bad either there are tons to choose from on this site
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...oss-822UA.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchenry35 View Post
according to your own links, neither of these units will fit a 98 TJ

I recently put one of these in, love the Bluetooth feature and if you don't like the buttons on the faceplate you can always use the remote
theglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

^No aftermarket radio is a direct fit into ANY vehicle. You always have to buy an adapter or use a special sleeve to get it to fit in.

DIRECT fit as in just pop it in and it magically works, like a seatbelt is a direct fit into its clip.
Quote:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
theglide
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
^No aftermarket radio is a direct fit into ANY vehicle. You always have to buy an adapter or use a special sleeve to get it to fit in.

DIRECT fit as in just pop it in and it magically works, like a seatbelt is a direct fit into its clip.
that's true but those radios do appear to be too tall to fit within the space that the factory radio occupies ... so you may need more than an adapter, like a Sawzall
theglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Or using a different trim piece. Since TJ's are rather popular, someone out there has one.
Quote:
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

To my knowledge you cant run double DIN in tj.. 1.5DIN would be max... so yes sawzall would be in order unless your getting custom bezel, moving ac knobs down or trimming ac vents up.. Sounds like a bit too much work for double din.
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.