I wanna run my ideas through you guys! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > I wanna run my ideas through you guys!

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
jnwolfe125
3rd Generation Jeeper

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wanna run my ideas through you guys!

So next week, in preparation for Jeep Beach, I'm buying a CB. I'm the kinda guy that when I buy something, I go all out and buy a nice something and I do it the right way! So I've decided on a Bearcat 880 CB with a Firestik 4' whip antenna mounted to my rear bumper. My question is about how i think I want to run the audio. SO... see if you can follow me on this one.

I'm thinking about tapping into the outputs of the factory stereo with these

and tapping into numbers 18-21

I plan on making my own 3.5mm stereo output cable (so that I can connect to the output on the CB) out of my tapped wires by using this.

Basically, I'll ground numbers 19-20 and then run 18 and 21 to L/R.

BEFORE, I hook up my stereo plug, I'll intercept the signals with this

The idea behind all this is so that I can have my cb audio running, with it's own volume control, AT THE SAME TIME as radio, cd player, AUX input (I did the Aux Input mod using the connector for an external disc changer)

So on top of whatever other audio source I'm running, I can also have my CB running at variable volume, intercepted at the factory outputs.

Thoughts?

Unread 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Get an external speaker. They have volume controls usually on them.

So much simpler.
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
jnwolfe125
3rd Generation Jeeper

2005 TJ Wrangler 

But I kinda wanted to run it through my main system. I mean, I guess I could get an external speaker, but will I be able to hear it over wind noise and the radio if I have it running?
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Indy

Youll probably hear it better out od the cb speaker than you will through blown and squelch filled factory speakers. And your cb will lead a happier life using the 8ohm it expects to see then burning up at a fraction of it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
jnwolfe125
3rd Generation Jeeper

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What do you think of this?
http://www.audiointerrupt.com/Content/CBBCHY3OR.html#
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

KISS!!!! Go to the truck stop and buy an external speaker. Mount it on the roll bar, behind your head in between the front seats. if you can't hear it at 70 mph with no top, you don't need a cb to start with.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnwolfe125 View Post
I'm thinking about tapping into the outputs of the factory stereo with these

Thoughts?
Absolutely the worst thing ever invented. Most of the time they cut half the strands of wire leaving you with a 20ga wire instead of 16ga IF your lucky.
Over time they let moisture into the wire and corrode it destroying whats left of the strands until the device no longer works.

Best way to install a CB is run the wires directly to the battery since the battery will also act as a filter for "Some" of the elect noise.
If you must connect it to your stereo please do it the right way and install some heat shrink butt connectors to the wires you use. I've personally had to repair more than one install where the gator crimps have failed or not even made connection but look fine visually.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.