I know this has been discussed to death but... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > I know this has been discussed to death but...

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
I know this has been discussed to death but...

Hi gang, this isn't on 'Black Betty' my '78 CJ5 but it is of an electrical nature so I'm hoping it crosses (the folks here are so helpful and knowledgable)

I've got a dual battery setup that's worked fine in 'Easy Bake' my '81 Ford panel van and neglectful of battery maintenance I let enough water gas out of the secondary battery to expose the plates (this battery was 11 years old) so I went down to Costco to get another Johnson Controls manufactured battery that I've had such good luck with over the years. I put it in the primary position and post charging did my dialy commute to work (11 miles one way) no problems even when returning home but overnight it seems the thing discharged at a fantastic rate. Firing up the alternator belts (2) squealed and I saw the ammeter jump far beyond where it normally rests. In recent days I've taken to removing the negative battery cable each time I park it and charge it each night. Could this be a defective battery? Any insights would be great as I'm still working 7 days a week and have little time for automotive repairs.

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid.
Gus

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Well testing at the battery post for a power drain with a test light and ratz, somethings grounding out.
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Get a helper and pull and replace fuses until it stops, that way at least you can narrow down where to look.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

It's a way to go but my helper go to guy has knee back trouble of late and is bedridden most days.
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
It's a way to go but my helper go to guy has knee back trouble of late and is bedridden most days.
Well, you can do it alone, it'll just take a while running back and forth between the fuse panel and the battery
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Okay, as it turns out the engine compartment light (somes on when hood is in the open position) was what was giving me the reading with the test light. Once disconnected the test light was off.
So, as it's not a drain as it turns out, I'm now mentally struggling with what could be causing the new symptoms.
Prior to any of these issues 'Easy Bake' ran out fine, winter and summer without any electrical anomolies and even at fast idle no belt squeal. It's only been for a couple of weeks now when I fire up in the morning there's a 15amp jump shown by the ammeter and the dual pulley/dual belts squeal like a banshee. That is, until the charging system catches up 3-5 seconds later.

I ran a hydrometer test and all cells (of the new battery) are normal save one on the end shows recharge 1225 (red area or hydrometer) specific gravity all others are running between 1250 and 1300 (white to green area on hydrometer) on this new (last weekend) battery. I reckon I should return and immediately test the replacement eh?
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You say you have a dual battery. Are you sure the other battery isn't draining the new one? A weak cell is all it takes.
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

The other battery (formerly the run battery) is running between 1300-1275 on all cells. The only reason the new battery replaced it is the secondary battery went kaput after 11 years, so the former run battery is in it's place.
Unread 09-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Well KISS, The dual belts were skipping, and that is what the problem was.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.