I just got this system spec'd to me for my TJ, what do y'all think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > I just got this system spec'd to me for my TJ, what do y'all think?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
Red_Dawg
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just got this system spec'd to me for my TJ, what do y'all think?

In the dash it calls for a 4"x6". I would go with Rockford drivers.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

6.5"

On the head unit I would go with the Pioneer P3900MP for $129.99. It is last years model, but has inputs for MP3 Playback which supports MP3, WMA, WAV, iTunes AAC, and Built-In USB Control, and Ipod.
XM modual $120.00

With you not going with a Sub I wouldn't suggest getting an amp. The head unit has a built in amp. 50 watt x 4. That will be enought to power your 4 drivers.

This came from a local electronics store........blast away....

Red_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
monstermack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well, I don't see the USB input on that model Pioneer. Otherwise its an okay unit, but do note that it puts out 22 rms watts, the 50 watt is max rating. In the price range you are at $120 there are several good units and the Pioneer hits about middle of the road for bang for the buck, so not a bad choice.

The Rockford speakers you selected are fine, and like everyone has said, pick what sounds good to you. I do hope you're going to buy them from a different site as they are much cheaper on different sites. The only note I'd have about them is that at the price point (on other cheaper sites)that you can get the Rockfords for you're passing over Boston Accoustics, Cliff Designs, Polk, Infinity, Alpine, Kicker, Eclipse, JBL and just $10 under JL Audio for the 4x6. At the price point of the 6.5 you're passing over all those same brands plus MB Quart, Memphis Audio, Orion, & Cerwin Vega.
Some of those names are pretty heavy hitters in this segment of car audio. But again, whatever sounds best to you.
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Dawg View Post
In the dash it calls for a 4"x6". I would go with Rockford drivers.

6.5"

On the head unit I would go with the Pioneer P3900MP for $129.99. It is last years model, but has inputs for MP3 Playback which supports MP3, WMA, WAV, iTunes AAC, and Built-In USB Control, and Ipod.
XM modual $120.00

With you not going with a Sub I wouldn't suggest getting an amp. The head unit has a built in amp. 50 watt x 4. That will be enought to power your 4 drivers.

This came from a local electronics store........blast away....
Well, the shop is literally trying to 'sell' you stuff.. Cause they don't have anything quite right for the vehicle... It very much sounds like someone reading a 'general install guide' and throwing stuff out that fits that... Not someone really helping you design a strong capable system.

They don't know the specifics of the vehicle because since you need to buy an adapter plate regardless of what speakers you put in the dash (save one set from kicker), you might as well do the right thing and go 5.25" in the dash. If you want those RF's the right model would be P152C.

Now the problem is power... The head unit isn't going to be able to control those at the higher volume levels. Their specs are:

P152C - 5.25" 4-ohm 40W
P162C - 6.5" 4-ohm 50W

On top of all that, their sensitivity, though I usually suggest ignoring it, is quite a bit low for a higher-end fill speaker. at 86/87dB respectively. PLUS, they're frequency response starts at 74Hz... so if they know you're not looking for subs, I wouldn't have shown you those anyhow...

Now the other first kicker that they don't know what they're talking about is they said your head has a 50Wx4 amp on it. Nope... The DEH-P3900MP has a 22Wx4 amp on it. There isn't a head unit today (ok, there are like 3..) that actually has 50 or more W at the source of continuous power. And WHY you ask? Simply because more power would require special mounting methods (similar to wiring an amp) and the common stock wiring couldn't handle the load so they don't make stronger heads than that.

Now if you do not want to run an amp, stick with speakers rated for 35W RMS or less. If you want to amp them, you can run what ever you want. An amp-less system can get you quite a bit of sound.. but if you want it strong above the wind topless, an amp is preferred. Building the right system for what you want is the key either way.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
mylt1

the deck has a USB as an "option" not standard according to crutchfield. just so you know.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Red_Dawg
2000 TJ Wrangler 

After researching a little bit, I figured I could spec out a better system than the one here based on previous posts.....
Red_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.