I have some money now what to buy?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > I have some money now what to buy??

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-01-2001, 09:20 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

I have some money now what to buy??

I need a new HU and lots of bass.......need amp and subs and will be building my own box. have about 800 or so total, let me hear your suggestions.

Unread 11-03-2001, 10:34 AM   #2
mytjnamedrex

willis? RF? dont quit on me now! Will take suggestions from all, especially if you have feedback on panasoinic HU, Cv HED's, or profile california series amps.
Unread 11-06-2001, 04:15 AM   #3
AJ

Panasonic will crap out fast, as will profile. Profile amps are a reasonably priced deal, but won't put out the power you want for subs.

If you want loud bass that sounds bad, go with RF series 1's, lots of them. If you want loud bass that sounds really good, go with JL.

If you don't have a lot of money, then piece your system together over time. You may not get the best system today, but at the end of the year you'll be way happier.

My recomendations, as far as brands. Specific models have to go by your budget. But even these brands low end items will be a better system then expensive crap. Start with a good HU and then speakers, then amps and lastly subs. This will let you get progressively better sound that you will only get happier with over time, and nothing has to sit in the closet waiting for something else to make it work.

HU:Clarion or Alpine. Price 150+ Stay away from Sony. Great video equipment, overpriced audio.

Amps: Rockford Fosgate or JL. RF have great power capabilities if wired right, and are reasonably priced. JL's have tremendous power capabilities, but are significantly more expensive.

Surrounds: RF separates, JL separates or plates, Boston Acoustic plates.

Subs: JL. If you want your subs to be hidden, go with their stealthbox. It's completely hidden, hits hard and sound great.

good luck and happy spending.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2001, 07:38 AM   #4
Willis91YJ

Hey Rex,
I agree with what he said about the head, Panasonic is JUNK!!!! A clean signal will get you a good sound and a clean signal is not what comes from a panasonic. Clarion or alpine is the only way to go. With the way the product lines are setup alpine is the way to go this year because you get more bang for your buck. They usually are the opposite but Alpine changed a few things and dropped a fey prices and this year they are a better radio for the $$$. Secondly, if I were you I would delay gratification a little bit and buy in phases as AJ said. I may not agree with his preference on subs and amps but I can certainly agree with waiting. $800 simply isn't enough to do it loud and do it right for a sustained period of time. Sure if you want it to bang for five minutes and then start frying ***** go buy an optimus amp from radio shack and some rockford woofers. For ho much speak you are looking to run I would definitely buy a beefy amp. I am running an Audiobahn class D (more power than heat not rated D on an a thru E scale) amp that is 800 watts continuous at 1 ohm. That would be a good purchase for you and I have had it for approximately a year and have had no problems with it and IT IS A MONSTER!!!! I'll get you the model number soon. Sorry man I gotta go to class and take an exam I'll get back soon
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2001, 12:49 AM   #5
eltj

Clarion is a good head unit alpine is desent as well. If you start to compaire the warranty problems of the Alpine, Clarion, and Panasonic the Panasonic will come out on top. I sell all thies brands and the Panasonic is not crap and anyone that tell you they are has no idea what they are talking about. If you were to compare the Alpine and the Panasonic The Panasonic is a much better buy. Other brands to look at are the Pioneers and the Kenwoods. As far as amps and subs one of the best are Memphis. The price is right and the product outperforms stuff that cost 3 times as much. Fosgate is a good example of over price junk that is extremely unreliable. Do yourself a favor and go out and but a head unit you like instead of one someone inexperienced is telling you to buy.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2001, 01:09 PM   #6
Willis91YJ

Eltj,
I have agreed with you on everything so far but your profdession that I don't know sh*t because I siad panasonic is junk is a little out of line. What does panasonic have on a clarion 9675 pre-amp with a 2 year warranty or even an alpine iva-c800 with only a one year but what can you say that unit is bad!!! Now I guess if we are talking about entry level $150.00 units then no matter what you are buying nothing is going to be nice so do as you see fit. But come on man don't tell me that panasonic is as nice as Alpine or I will begin to lose faith quickly.
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Unread 11-18-2001, 04:40 PM   #7
eltj

Alpine makes decent equiptment like I said but if you want to compare the high end units than yes the Clarion 9675 is awsome and Panasonic doesnt have a unit that compairs with it but that doesnt mean that it is junk. Alpine and Clarion cant compare to the Panasonic Multi Media on picture quality or functions as well but that doesnt make Alpine or Clarion Junk. As far as the statement that Panasonic doesnt have clean sound, that cant be any further from the truth. I have built 10 cars that have and some still compete in USAC and they all run a veriety of heads including Clarion, Pioneer, Kenwood, Panasonic, and Eclipse. We can talk about the Clarion 9675 or the Alpine c800 but compairing them to the high end Panasonic and guess what, they will all sound as good. If you like EQ's and DSP in your radios than cool. But I will put one of my cars with a Panasonic in it right next to yours and see which one sounds best. Keep in mind that all those fancy features that the Clarion and Alpine and many others have are disigned to make a system with holes in it sound right. If you have ever used a RTI meter on a car to tune the system you will know exactly what I am talking about.
If you want to talk the BEST sounding head try a Pioneer P1R. Im not calling you a idiot or saying you dont know anything but I have 8 years or expereince under my belt and have certificates from many manufactures. I have expereince in all the manufacturers that are worth talking about and will agree when something is junk. I can tell you by expereince that the Panasonic is a major player in the audio industry and that it actually sounds beter than an Alpine because I have replaced Alpine units with Panasonics and seen better output and sound quality. Your entitled to you opinion just like I am so I wont argue with you about this topic any more and if you want to second guess me thats fine if you feel you must.
Unread 11-18-2001, 10:36 PM   #8
Willis91YJ

EL,
I wasn't secpnd guessing you bud, I was having a bad day and when I read your post it came across as saying "you don't know ****". No I do not know a great deal about Panasonic. That is probably the only brand we haven't had in our store in the 20 years we have been open and as far as full line quality goes you know where my apples are. Bang for your buck as I said I do not know much about Panasonic and noone in my neck of the woods does either. The only places you can get them within 50 miles of where I live sells b-grade and grey market items and so in my opinion what I see is junk. You probably see some very different things but I would assume that you have a more direct involvement with the product. So to get back to the matter at hand, lets help out Rex and talk him into not buying junk instead of debating about what junk is. I am a diehard orion fan but that is significantly out of your price range bud so let's talk abot what is in your range. I guess the first question is whether or not you are willing to wait and buy some stuff over time or if you want it all now. If you want to buy it at once $800.00 is gonna make it tough. Let us know and I'm sure one of us will reply.
Unread 11-19-2001, 06:16 PM   #9
eltj

Cool, it happens. Anyway to help with the system here are some items to check out.
All thies are mid line and have proved to work and hold up well.
Head Units- From $200.00-230.00
Clarion DX515
Kenwood KDC-716S
Panasonic CQ-DP401U
Pioneer DEH-P3300

Amps- From $170.00-250.00
Kenwood KAC-829
Pioneer GM-X952
Lightning Audio B.300.2

Subs- From $90.00-125.00
JL 10W0
Kicker Comp 10VR2
Cerwin Vega HED10SVC
MTX Thunder 6000

There is many more you can choose from and look at all your options before you buy.
On the amps that I suggested the Kenwood is the most favorable. As far as the subs the Vegas and the Kickers will the most power but the JL and the MTX are great subs to.
This will keep you within your price range but dont forget the little things like a amp kit and wood for the box or even bass blockers for the component speakers especally the fronts. If you looking for bass blockers they only cost about $10 bucks a pair and you want 80 hertz for the front and 60-75 hertz for the rear. This will keep the speakers from distorting and they will last a lot longer.
Unread 11-19-2001, 07:37 PM   #10
Willis91YJ

I agree wil El, there are a few units I would like to add in the amps category. We move these in fairly large volume for a small store and see very few back for repair and they sound really good for the price. All prices are suggested retail and I am sure you can find it for some cheaper but not much because Alpine keeps a pretty tight leash on it.

Alpine MRV-T407 $260.00
Alpine MRV-100M $230.00
The Orion XTR 375 is nice too but that is a significant jump in price from what we are looking at.

Of the woofers he suggested I agree with him that out of the four I would choose either the kickers or the cerwins. Of the four they are the two old reliables. I have always found the JL's to be a little too touchy. You could look into some audiobahn if you wanted to go that route again but if you want it to sound good you have to atleast buy the aw1200x or higher to get what I think you are looking for. Well anyway let us know what you think
Willis
Unread 11-20-2001, 03:04 PM   #11
mytjnamedrex

thanx guys im taking a look at the clarion HU's. Im really undecided on the subs right now though. Me and some friends have been doing some experimenting with box designs to use and there are some that would require 10's and some require 12's, i am looking at JL and Memphis as far as brands but many are open for concideration. thanx
Unread 11-20-2001, 11:13 PM   #12
eltj

That Memphis stuff is awsome. It sounds great and is very reliable. If your looking at there subs get at lease the Studio series. The Power Bass are cheap but there paper and the Studios are all poly so they will hold up much better to the elements and they take a much smaller enlosure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.