I am needing some more bass in a TJ???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > I am needing some more bass in a TJ????

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
kooter1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am needing some more bass in a TJ????

I am starting to upgrade my tunes in the TJ. Picked up a sony head unit and speaker for the front and sound bar. 5.25 up front and 6.5 in bar. These are running off the head unit. They sound ok.... but I would like a little bass just not screaming highs HAHA.

So I was digging around in the garage over the weekend and came across some equipment I had back 12 years ago. I have a little rockford punch 60 old school and a rockford punch 150s that is somewhat newer. Also I have a 12'' pioneer sub IMPP 450 watt max in a huge box.

I installed it this weekend and everything works fine, but the sub box is big.

Now I want to use the amps I have now. But I am willing to upgrade the sub with something smaller to help with the space issue. I would still like to use at least half the trunk space if possible.

I would like to do this project on my own and not have to buy something someone else made.

Any ideas on a box design or a sub choice? Should I build it pointing at the back seat, at the tail gate, maybe down? Pictures would be great.

Thanks For your help....

kooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
SirGCal

Downfiring in the rear is the best TJ option without doing something completely custom like in-seat or something.

Have you considered just making a smaller box for the sub you have? I really can't tell you what's possible without accurate model numbers. (IMPP isn't it)

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
kooter1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If I were to buy a new sub for a down firing set up and have around 200 watts of power what would you recommend?
kooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
RokleM
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hopefully not to hijack (hopefully it will be beneficial to you as well kooter1)...

In regards to down firing, how much space do you recommend between the unit and the floor under the seat? Do you attempt to keep all four sides clear, or enclose 2/3 of them to force sound in a certain direction? Have a 10" boss unit for example that I'm not getting great performance out of (didn't expect it to blow out my eardrums at highway speeds), but wouldn't mind getting a little better sound out of if possible.
RokleM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
SirGCal

About 2" for most drivers in real-world situations. Doesn't matter about enclosure but having only the front open can help protect the driver from stored items.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.