How would this amp work with my setup? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How would this amp work with my setup?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-30-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
Michele
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How would this amp work with my setup?

I know I said I wasn't looking to add an amplifier to the audio setup in my TJ - lol. Changed my mind. I'd like to add an amp just to power the 4 speakers. I've got four pioneer 5.25's and an alpine cda-9827 hu. Any comments on the amp (link below) and how it would or would not compliment my current config. would be greatly appreciated. (Tia SirGCal since you will most likely be the one that will know if this is a good amp for me)

I can get this amp new in the box for 100.00.

My TJ at cardomain
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
SirGCal

Simple answer:

This amp puts out 50Wx4 @ 4 ohms.

So as long as your Pioneer speakers can handle 50W (RMS) and are 4 ohm speakers, your fine.

If they are capable of holding 50W RMS and you're currently running them from the head... Then heck yea they will sound better with this amplifier.

HOWEVER:.... After a quick search of the forum I see you are running TSG1340R's.

They spec out to only 25W RMS loads with 40Hz-22kHz responce at 91dB sens... These would have a chance of blowing under the power of that amp...

However, for the price of that amp -vs- similar replacements, I'd get it and upgrade the speakers again... You won't be able to amp those speakers far beyond what the head unit is already doing anyhow... These were really made to run off the deck well.

There are tons of 5.25" speakers out there that will take the 50W and throw it right back at ya, loud and clear... And won't break the bank at the same time...

HOWEVER... (there's always a catch...) The better quality speakers (one's that will run with more power) often are designed to run in a more specific frequency (I.E. less bass); thus would need a sub to compensate (as they are expected to be installed with one anyhow...). So consider all of the variables before upgrading...

CAN you get that amp and hook it up to your speakers? Sure... Will the speakers survive? If you run the amp lean and don't crank it too often for too long, probably for a while at least... But there is a fair chance they will die sooner or later under the load.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
Michele
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks so much for explaining this stuff to me. All things considered, I think I'll just opt to keep it as is.

My TJ at cardomain
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
baldingo1

dont buy sony car audio stuff, they put out terrible products
go with an alpine, precision power, jl, jbl, audiobahn, or something like that
1.5 inch lift springs
2 inch body
RE HD YSE Short Shaft Kit
RE CV Driveshaft
LED tails
powder coated corner guards
35x13.50 Baja Claw BiasPly
3.55 Gears
EZ Locker Front
Powertrax Locker Rear
baldingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2004, 07:34 AM   #5
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldingo1
dont buy sony car audio stuff, they put out terrible products
go with an alpine, precision power, jl, jbl, audiobahn, or something like that
Personaly, I don't like Sony either, but I have to honestly admit that their mobile equipment line is pretty stout. I would not ever use them myself but that's a personal choice. Espically their higher-end line equipment is really quality work. (Though everyone has their lemons from time to time...)

The other models you listed are also good accept JBL. I like some of their speakers and head units but I would never use their amps. ( again, personal preference) They use more voltage focused type of amplification which is much less effective than some other solutions (in my opinion).

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.