How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics) - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #106
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Any 4x6 speaker just doesn't have enough kick in it for you to notice the particular speaker upfront. The 5.25 however does somewhat and you can hear the different between the two speakers.

There is consoles that came in jeeps that had the 7 speaker setup from the factory which had the sub right inside the console. I've seen a guide on here before how a guy turned his ordinary console into a sub one. Or you can just look on the classifieds and find a console that is sub ready?

I do know that the stock sub in the console is not that good tho and also recall seeing a thread of how some members actually upgrade the stock sub from the console to something aftermarket.

Also you wouldn't need an amp if you were to upgrade your front and rear speakers. I have 5.25 upfront and 6.5 in the rear, no issues and for me it sounds great.

Sent from the I-device using an APP
An amp makes ALL the difference in the world. I have a small amp (KTP-445) that only puts out 45 watts RMS per channel but it made a HUGE difference in my 5.25 / 6.5 Polk combo. If you drive with the top and/or doors off above 35 MPH you're really going to need an amp. Even at low volumes it made a big difference in mine. The stock head unit sounded like crap through nice speakers. I tried it but didn't tolerate it long at all.

2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"
05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #107
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Unlimited View Post
An amp makes ALL the difference in the world. I have a small amp (KTP-445) that only puts out 45 watts RMS per channel but it made a HUGE difference in my 5.25 / 6.5 Polk combo. If you drive with the top and/or doors off above 35 MPH you're really going to need an amp. Even at low volumes it made a big difference in mine. The stock head unit sounded like crap through nice speakers. I tried it but didn't tolerate it long at all.
Check out this neat little amp install:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-r...p-bracket.html

Andrew Nalin
NalinMFG.com
5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
Facebook Like for a 10% Coupon Code
Connect with me on LinkedIn
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #108
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post
Check out this neat little amp install:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-r...p-bracket.html
Pretty cool, might do that if/when I add a sub.
2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #109
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I get that an AMP would make a difference, but I think his actual question was more along the lines "does he NEED an amp to run these speakers.."

But I'm sure an AMP would give it that extra kick, especially on top/door off days.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #110
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
I get that an AMP would make a difference, but I think his actual question was more along the lines "does he NEED an amp to run these speakers.."

But I'm sure an AMP would give it that extra kick, especially on top/door off days.

No doubt. I was just surprised you said it "sounds great" even without an amp. That just wasn't my experience at all, but maybe for whatever reason mine didn't sound as good as yours set up like that.
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #111
Zulu412
1997 TJ Wrangler 

everyone thats purchased the Nalin/polk packages, where are you guys mounting the crossovers. I can't decide on best spot. PLEASE HELP
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #112
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu412 View Post
everyone thats purchased the Nalin/polk packages, where are you guys mounting the crossovers. I can't decide on best spot. PLEASE HELP
Have you looked at inside the panel under steering wheel and inside the glovebox?

Andrew Nalin
NalinMFG.com
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #113
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
May be a dumb question; so you can remove the tweeters from your existing DB521's and place them in these brackets? So far this is my favorite as far as that goes, although I fear they might get kicked or get wet. Better than up in the dash in your face though IMO.
I've been asked this a few times now so I want to make sure that this information is available for the masses.

Coaxial speakers, like the DB521, have tweeters that are literally part of the speaker and cannot be removed to be mounted in my tweeter bracket:

Component sets, like the DB5251, have everything mounted separately. A component set consists of the speakers, crossovers, and tweeters. Note how there is no way to mount the tweeter in the center of a component speaker(think of it like a mini subwoofer and the tweeter takes care of the highs). This is the type of setup that the tweeter mounts are made for.

Andrew Nalin
NalinMFG.com
Unread 04-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #114
ShizfunK
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Front Speakers Location: Dash
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Brown/Red
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Green
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Blue
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Purple

Found this on the web, can anyone confirm?
Keep seeing conflicting posts on here.

This is for 98 TJ

Last edited by ShizfunK; 04-05-2014 at 11:27 PM..
ShizfunK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #115
ShizfunK
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bought the adapters and all was great except two problems.
1. When i rotate light switch it hits the plate. (Not too big of a deal)
2. Driver side speaker will work until I mount the plate to dash.

Not Nalin mounts bought these before discovering this thread. Are they side specific?

Mounts I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do I need to move the grounds attached below? The speaker crackles then the head unit says failure on display. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Upon further testing same problem when i switched the sides of the speakers. Must have got a defective speaker. And switched plates, not hitting headlight switch anymore.

Last edited by ShizfunK; 04-06-2014 at 07:56 PM..
Unread 04-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #116
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizfunK View Post

Not Nalin mounts bought these before discovering this thread. Are they side specific?

Do I need to move the grounds attached below? The speaker crackles then the head unit says failure on display. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Upon further testing same problem when i switched the sides of the speakers. Must have got a defective speaker. And switched plates, not hitting headlight switch anymore.
1) sounds like you might have the plates reversed.
2) sounds like a grounding problem between plate and speaker. Since the speaker works until you mount it, clearly that means you short circuit something, check if anything is loose on the speaker. After reading your wiring info, and responding below.. it does appear like you got your polarities flipped.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 04-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #117
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Front Speakers Location: Dash
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Brown/Red
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Green
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Blue
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Purple

Found this on the web, can anyone confirm?
Keep seeing conflicting posts on here.

This is for 98 TJ
This is for a 97 TJ, but I am sure its the same. Straight from the service manual.

left front (-)= brown/red
left front (+) = dark green
right front (-) = dark blue
right front (+) = voilet

Seems like you got your stuff reveresd tho...
File Type: pdf FrontSpeaker.pdf (108.6 KB, 2 views)
My Progress Page
Unread 04-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #118
ShizfunK
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had it wired the way you said as the way in my post sounded tinny. I'm returning those speakers and getting the polks since everyone has good luck with them. So those ends you put on the wires just slip on the posts of the speaker?
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #119
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had it wired the way you said as the way in my post sounded tinny. I'm returning those speakers and getting the polks since everyone has good luck with them. So those ends you put on the wires just slip on the posts of the speaker?
Yea exactly, you can get those little connectors at any electrical store. Just splice them in then they can slide on the posts of the speaker. This will make a better and sturdier connection than just trying to tie up/wrap the wire around the posts of the speakers.
My Progress Page
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #120
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Post a picture.

Andrew Nalin
NalinMFG.com

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.