How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #91
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso1337 View Post
Do the adapters.

One of my best mods up with regearing - no joke.

I put some seriously good quality hertz audio in the front and they just blew apart my clarion 4x6s.

Take the time, find a good set of speakers. 5.25" all the way around.

Oh and consider the tweeter moutns NalinMFG makes. I got bummed on shipping due to being in Canada and made my own mounts by the sun visor.

They're overpowering everything. These tweeters need to be moved farther back - like right where the nalinMFG mounts are?!?!

Right where they need to be

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #92
Butch300
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have read this whole thread and book marking it so I can start working on my Jeep when I get home next week.

But what I have seen is if anyone has used the Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System in the pods? Where is the best place to put the tweeter from these?

I have Nalin's adapters for the 5.25's for the dash and the bought the Polk Audio db5251 Component System with the tweeter mounting brackets from Nalin as well.
Butch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #93
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch300 View Post
I have read this whole thread and book marking it so I can start working on my Jeep when I get home next week.

But what I have seen is if anyone has used the Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System in the pods? Where is the best place to put the tweeter from these?

I have Nalin's adapters for the 5.25's for the dash and the bought the Polk Audio db5251 Component System with the tweeter mounting brackets from Nalin as well.

The Polk Audio DB6501-s (slim) is what I put in my soundbar and it fit like a glove. I didn't have to adjust anything or worry about tweeter location. Sounds great to me. Screw holes matched right up. That'd be the way to go I'd think. Not sure if you can Exchange the ones you say you bought. I also paint my speaker grills black.

forumrunner_20121130_150820.jpg

forumrunner_20121130_150927.jpg
ShakaBrahTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #94
Butch300
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely going to paint the grills black and I already have the speakers on the way. I like the flexibility of moving the tweeter and using the crossover for better sound quality.
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #95
ShakaBrahTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, no problem. That's just the way I set mine up. But at least you know the speakers will fit with no problem.
ShakaBrahTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #96
Butch300
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yep!

Thanks!!!
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #97
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a question for those of you who have done this modification. While doing your due diligence by looking up write-ups and searching the internet for information...were you able to identify which adapters were made by NalinMFG by their unique rounded shape/visual appearance? I am seeking direct consumer feedback through this survey question in order to supplement consumer testimony in a lawsuit from an eBay seller claiming that he has the right to sell exact copies(minus the logo). Secondary meaning( http://www.wiemeltlaw.com/id16.html ) must to be confirmed in order to uphold a previous eBay ruling of trade dress violation. Thank you in advance for your time.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #98
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
Yes, the speaker covers fit back on. My TJ, even with the MTX mounts that tilt the speaker up to vertical instead of contouring to the dash profile, has them on it and it doesn't look like anything's changed.
I'm going to be doing my DB521's in the front soon. I bought them used and they already came with plastic adaptors that look like Nalin's metal ones. Curious about the MTX mounts now that you've used them for awhile. Do you think it makes a difference having the speaker tilted up vertically? I am concerned about the tweeter sound being lost behind the dash and it seems like that might help and allow me to remedy the issue without putting tweeters in view / harm's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Your goal is to break up the backwave of the speaker do enough to occupy the space behind the speaker (a lil different than packing a sub box) but loosely pushed in...not crammed in. It gets caught in the speaker basket and wiring so don worry about it falling out.
When I put my DB651's in the soundbar I stuffed my pods really tight until the polyfil was about 1" from the back of the speaker. Still have the stock deck pushing it for now so of course it doesn't sound much different than stock 5.25" speakers yet (I have an Alpine unit and Power Pack that are going in soon). Did I make a mistake cramming the polyfil in so tight? Doesn't seem like it would cause a problem to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
More specifically the polyfill in this application is to lessen the chance that the sound from the rear of the speaker doesn't cancel out the sound from the front of the speaker. If you were able to completely "enclose" the rear of the speaker with fiberglass or something airtight you would get better bass and mid range.

You can test out the difference this makes with a home system easily. Simply reverse the wires on one of the speakers and you will know what is happening with the front speaker setup in a jeep.
This kind of supports the idea that maybe me cramming the polyfil in the rear pods kind of tight wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I bought foam speaker baffles for the front speakers and they completely close off the back of the speaker. Kramer from Crutchfield advised me to put a dime sized hole in the front speaker baffles to allow the right amount of air to move in and out (just enough for the wiring to comfortably go through ironically). What are you getting at about reversing the wires with regard to that stuff? BTW I guessed polarity on the rears because there was nothing to tell me for sure and it "seems" like everything's fine ...never thought to try reversing them. I think it's right though...just used some logic to make my choice (lol don't remember what that was now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post

Right where they need to be
May be a dumb question; so you can remove the tweeters from your existing DB521's and place them in these brackets? So far this is my favorite as far as that goes, although I fear they might get kicked or get wet. Better than up in the dash in your face though IMO.
2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"
05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #99
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Unlimited View Post
When I put my DB651's in the soundbar I stuffed my pods really tight until the polyfil was about 1" from the back of the speaker. Still have the stock deck pushing it for now so of course it doesn't sound much different than stock 5.25" speakers yet (I have an Alpine unit and Power Pack that are going in soon). Did I make a mistake cramming the polyfil in so tight? Doesn't seem like it would cause a problem to me.

This kind of supports the idea that maybe me cramming the polyfil in the rear pods kind of tight wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I bought foam speaker baffles for the front speakers and they completely close off the back of the speaker. Kramer from Crutchfield advised me to put a dime sized hole in the front speaker baffles to allow the right amount of air to move in and out (just enough for the wiring to comfortably go through ironically). What are you getting at about reversing the wires with regard to that stuff? BTW I guessed polarity on the rears because there was nothing to tell me for sure and it "seems" like everything's fine ...never thought to try reversing them. I think it's right though...just used some logic to make my choice (lol don't remember what that was now).
Polyfill in an enclosure breaks up the waves and makes the enclosure seem larger to the driver than it is (generally more bass in a smaller space or lower extension).

Unless you are tuning the enclosure with a port, you generally want to completely enclose the speaker. This is better for bass output so the wave from the back of the speaker doesn't cancel out the wave from the front. I was saying you can simulate this by taking some home speakers and reversing the polarity of one. The bass will be gone and it will sound weird. That's one of the reasons you don't get much bass from the front of a wrangler.

Reversing the polarity front to rear doesn't have as big of effect as left to right, but it still does make a difference.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #100
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How much of a difference will the DB521 make over Polk 4x6's?
Also, if I were to go with the DB521 up front and the DB651s in the soundbar, would I need an amp? I currently have a JVC KD-HDR70 headunit (MOS-FET 50W x 4 (20W RMS x 4)). Would you recommend running new wire to the speakers or is the stock wiring sufficient?

I am also looking to add a sub since there is 0 bass in my current set up. I only want some bass. I'm not looking to shake my whole jeep apart and I don't to spend a lot of money. I don't want to put anything behind the rear seat, or in the bottom of it. I've seen some center console subs (my center console did not come with a sub) and I think I want to take that route. I saw someone with the Sound Ordinance B-8PT http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wphI5ku...nce-B-8PT.html. I like it because it has a built in amp. I also saw something where a guy cut a hole in the side of the plastic liner of the console and mounted a 6.5" sub directly to that and sealed the top with a piece of plywood.
dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #101
NYbuilder

I know I havent been here in the forum long so I hope you dont mind the constructive critizium but before construction I worked in the audio industry for 15yrs in doing highend installs. Try using these behind your drive and wether 5.25 or 4x6 ur drivers sound waves wont fall apart so easy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTC-5-1-4-Ac...-/250900580832
NYbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #102
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbuilder View Post
I know I havent been here in the forum long so I hope you dont mind the constructive critizium but before construction I worked in the audio industry for 15yrs in doing highend installs. Try using these behind your drive and wether 5.25 or 4x6 ur drivers sound waves wont fall apart so easy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTC-5-1-4-Ac...-/250900580832
What is your opinion of foam baffles vs polyfill?

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #103
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Both affect the backwave. The baffle forces the pressure on the back of the cone limiting the cones movement. The polyfil disperses the backwave. Most prefer the polyfil including myself and I've tried both. Adding the dime sized hole turns the baffle into an aperiodic enclosure. The hole should be off center up or down not right behind the center of the speaker (vent pole).
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #104
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Both affect the backwave. The baffle forces the pressure on the back of the cone limiting the cones movement. The polyfil disperses the backwave. Most prefer the polyfil including myself and I've tried both. Adding the dime sized hole turns the baffle into an aperiodic enclosure. The hole should be off center up or down not right behind the center of the speaker (vent pole).
It was my understanding that you need a restrictive membrane covering the hole to be considered an AP enclosure. Isn't just a random hole in a box just a poorly vented enclosure with no tuning?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #105
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh131
How much of a difference will the DB521 make over Polk 4x6's?
Also, if I were to go with the DB521 up front and the DB651s in the soundbar, would I need an amp? I currently have a JVC KD-HDR70 headunit (MOS-FET 50W x 4 (20W RMS x 4)). Would you recommend running new wire to the speakers or is the stock wiring sufficient?

I am also looking to add a sub since there is 0 bass in my current set up. I only want some bass. I'm not looking to shake my whole jeep apart and I don't to spend a lot of money. I don't want to put anything behind the rear seat, or in the bottom of it. I've seen some center console subs (my center console did not come with a sub) and I think I want to take that route. I saw someone with the Sound Ordinance B-8PT http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wphI5ku...nce-B-8PT.html. I like it because it has a built in amp. I also saw something where a guy cut a hole in the side of the plastic liner of the console and mounted a 6.5" sub directly to that and sealed the top with a piece of plywood.
Any 4x6 speaker just doesn't have enough kick in it for you to notice the particular speaker upfront. The 5.25 however does somewhat and you can hear the different between the two speakers.

There is consoles that came in jeeps that had the 7 speaker setup from the factory which had the sub right inside the console. I've seen a guide on here before how a guy turned his ordinary console into a sub one. Or you can just look on the classifieds and find a console that is sub ready?

I do know that the stock sub in the console is not that good tho and also recall seeing a thread of how some members actually upgrade the stock sub from the console to something aftermarket.

Also you wouldn't need an amp if you were to upgrade your front and rear speakers. I have 5.25 upfront and 6.5 in the rear, no issues and for me it sounds great.

Sent from the I-device using an APP
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.