How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #61
uaejeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bamajeepman When you say the 6.5 polk speakers fit fine with the stock grill or you referring to the
cover that goes over the speaker with the light, the one that comes with the jeep? Mine is 2004
and when i looked at one of the pictures above in this thread the stock grill with dome light is gone
and there was only what looked like an aftermarket speaker cover.
When I measured my speaker the other day it was around the 5.5" mark so I dont see how a 6.5" fits. ???

uaejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #62
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The 6.5" Slim mounts fit in the 97-02 soundbar without any modifications. I believe in the newer sound pods you have to trim the edges and the stock cover does not fit.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #63
uaejeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

More great info. Use a pillow. got it.

Has anyone put the 6.5" into the soundbar and still used the factory cover with dome light. I saw the picture in
this thread but they just have the speaker exposed with no cover or dome light. I want to use my cover with dome
light. Is this possible?
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #64
uaejeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When you talk about wiring and splicing did you cut the existing wire to the old speaker
and put that red clip on in the picture to connect to the new speaker? Is that what you mean
by splicing?
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #65
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaejeeper View Post

Has anyone put the 6.5" into the soundbar and still used the factory cover with dome light. I saw the picture in
this thread but they just have the speaker exposed with no cover or dome light. I want to use my cover with dome
light. Is this possible?
Can't help you with this, sorry. I think the actual factory cover is not deep enough to fit over the 6.5" speaker so you might have to use the cover for the new speakers you buy usually speakers you buy come with their own covers but you will lose the dome light.

Again not 100% sure on this.

Quote:
When you talk about wiring and splicing did you cut the existing wire to the old speaker
and put that red clip on in the picture to connect to the new speaker? Is that what you mean
by splicing?
Yes that is correct. The speakers I bought were previous installed in a 2004 Jeep, the newer jeeps have nice connectors on them so if you have a newer Jeep you could of just plug these in.

Since mine is a 97 it didn't have the nice connector, I just cut the white connector (on speaker) off and connected some wire with the red connector to plug onto the speaker.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #66
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

light. Is this possible?
I just installed 6.5's in my 2006. Not sure why you would think you would lose the dome lights? When people say that you will not be able to use the factory cover, they are talking about the speaker cover only. The 6.5" speaker will be just a little too big to fit in the factory speaker hole, and thus not allowing the use of the factory 5.25" speaker cover. I used the bracket supplied with the 6.5" polk speakers to mount them in the factory hole. Then used the new speaker covers to mount the speaker to the bracket. You dont lose your dome lights this way.
msu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #67
uaejeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm confused where you said the 6.5 is too big to fit in the hole but then you said you used the supplied bracket to mount
them in the hole. The hole hasnt changed so how does the bracket allow the speaker to fit into the hole?

And is this speaker flush enough to use the factory cover that includes the dome light?
Unread 05-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #68
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check out these links(6.5"s in sound pod):

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/k...06-lj-1371168/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/h...d-pods-414974/

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #69
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm confused where you said the 6.5 is too big to fit in the hole but then you said you used the supplied bracket to mount
them in the hole. The hole hasnt changed so how does the bracket allow the speaker to fit into the hole?

And is this speaker flush enough to use the factory cover that includes the dome light?
I dont have a picture on hand, but the bracket supplied has holes to mount to a surface, then corresponding holes that the speaker will mount to. The bracket bigger than the factory speaker hole, and you can mount the bracket onto the sound pod. This makes the speaker stick out of the sound pod more, but its better than cutting up the pod, or atleast for me it was....I would find a way to hack it up. The factory hole is plenty big enough to clear the speaker's magnet, but it is just small enough that the 6.5 will not sit all the way down into it. The bracket allows you to mount the speaker ontop of the factory hole. I hope this helps, but I am struggling to explain without photos. I will try to remember to post a pic when I get home.

Look at the links Nalin posted in regards to the dome light. You do not remove the lights. They are not part of the speaker cover. They wont fit flushe enough to use the factory covers, you will have to use the aftermarket covers. But they will not interfere with the dome lights.
Unread 05-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #70
uaejeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Nalin pictures helped. Now I see what you mean. I will probably just opt for the 5.25 polks because I would have to trim the hole for it to sit down into it according to you and I would probably need more power to push them than what an aftermarket deck delivers.
Dont you think? Besides not sure 6" speakers are really going to be drastically better than the 5.25. Again, dont you think?
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #71
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Im glad i went with bigger speakers. Sound great. You wont have to cut the hole bigger, just use the bracket that comes with polk db651, if you are using those. I wouldnt cut anything on the pods
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #72
uaejeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to see a picture of the db 651 installed if you have one. Were you able to mount the speaker cover on it
since it sat up higher according to your earlier post?
And mounting it was no problem with the bracket that comes with it from Crutchfield. Right?
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #73
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would love to see a picture of the db 651 installed if you have one. Were you able to mount the speaker cover on it
since it sat up higher according to your earlier post?
And mounting it was no problem with the bracket that comes with it from Crutchfield. Right?
I will post a picture tonight. Mounting was NO PROBLEM whatsoever. It just makes the speakers stick out a little more. You will still be able to use the speaker covers that come with the speaker. Not the factory speaker cover.

The brackets come with the speakers from POLK...so no matter where you get them, they should have them in there.
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #74
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

forumrunner_20120529_230640.jpg

forumrunner_20120529_230648.jpg

Hopefully these help.
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #75
uaejeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for taking the time to post pics. I will go with the 6.5" db 651 from crutchfield. Will ask them if they come with the brackets to make sure.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.