How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #46
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
Polk's matching 6.5" speakers go into the soundbar without any mods to the bar itself.
So, if I get the DB521's for the front, and want to get 6.5" in the pods. Which should I get, the DB651s or just DB651. Someone said earlier if you are not running a sub go with the slim mounts. Whats the difference? I plan on replacing my factory sub, but not sure if I will run an amplifier.

Thanks.

msu33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #47
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu33 View Post
So, if I get the DB521's for the front, and want to get 6.5" in the pods. Which should I get, the DB651s or just DB651. Someone said earlier if you are not running a sub go with the slim mounts. Whats the difference? I plan on replacing my factory sub, but not sure if I will run an amplifier.

Thanks.
These are good comparisons:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133...s-db651-90072/

"As it turns out, in terms of mounting dimensions, both Polk Audio db651 and db651s are the same. The 'slim-ness' or 'shallow-ness' refers to what is being protruded out in front, ie the height of the dome. See merged non-scaled picture. (courtesy of Millionbuy.com and sonicelectronix.com).

This protruded dimension, unfortunately, is not reflected in the spec sheet released by Polk Audio.

Since the dome is higher for db651, it would be a little more work to reuse the OEM ring + grille. Hence using Polk's grilles makes more sense.

Reusing OEM ring+grille on db651s is not a problem.

Specs wise, the differences are:

db651

Power Handling (RMS) : 60 Watts
Power Handling (MAX) : 180 Watts
Frequency Response : 35Hz~22kHz

db651s

Power Handling (RMS) : 55 Watts
Power Handling (MAX) : 165 Watts
Frequency Response : 50Hz~22kHz"

http://www.c-j-l.net/Home/audio/db651_vs_db651s

(photos taken from second link)

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #48
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Nalin....I will be ordering some brackets from you soon...

So I understand the difference. My next question is, would I be able to use factory speaker covers on the non s version. From what I understand from the link you posted, you may or may not be able to. Has anyone installed the non s version and used their factory covers?
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #49
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Nalin....I will be ordering some brackets from you soon...

So I understand the difference. My next question is, would I be able to use factory speaker covers on the non s version. From what I understand from the link you posted, you may or may not be able to. Has anyone installed the non s version and used their factory covers?
Judging by the picture I would say no, although I can't say from first hand experience. The speakers will come with new ones (however I know that a lot of people prefer the factory look for security reasons):

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #50
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Stealth is what I would prefer..
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #51
axxegrinder
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The brackets are wonderful!

I also packed the holes with 16 oz of poly-fil ($4 at walmart). The second picture is my hack job on installing the soundbar speakers. I stupidly cut the material when I didn't need to. Simply removing the sticky padding is enough, combined with the mounting adapter that Polk provides. I'm including it as a lesson to others as to what not to do.
speaker1.jpg   imag0149.jpg  
axxegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #52
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Got my brackets from Nalin....they are awesome! Easy install. Now...for the 6.5's for the pods.... I dont see how you guys got them in there with no modification. Any help would be appreciated!
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #53
church
Rubi-Roo

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got my brackets from Nalin....they are awesome! Easy install. Now...for the 6.5's for the pods.... I dont see how you guys got them in there with no modification. Any help would be appreciated!
I had to cut the outer lip off my 6.5's to get them to fit. They fit great after doing that. Sounds amazing.
church is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #54
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a thread for 6.5"s in the 03-06 sound pods:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/h...d-pods-414974/

6.5"s in 97-02 soundbars are like drop in replacements(sometimes have to drill new holes).

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Unread 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #55
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yep. 6.5" Polk Slim mounts fit just fine in the 97-02 soundbar. The stock grille fits perfect.

I've had my system here since Tuesday but have yet to put it in. Only tested if the speakers would fit. Maybe it has something to do with the $200 quote a shop gave me to install everything.

...and I really don't want to do it myself.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #56
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Yep. 6.5" Polk Slim mounts fit just fine in the 97-02 soundbar. The stock grille fits perfect.

I've had my system here since Tuesday but have yet to put it in. Only tested if the speakers would fit. Maybe it has something to do with the $200 quote a shop gave me to install everything.

I never caught on to the fact that there was a difference in the early and late model TJ's. Is my newb showin?

It's really not that difficult. All you need is some wire strippers, spade connectors and some poly fill. Ill be finishing mine up this afternoon.

Church, What did you use to cut the outer lip of the speaker? Did you have to drill new mounting holes in what was left of the mounting surface of the speaker?

I may try and put the 6.5's in the dash, and move the 5.25's to the rear.
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #57
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post

No need for the shop to do it, to install that system you don't even need any special tools.

Considering the TJ being so accessible with no hidden things you should be able to run the wire inside the roll bar padding and everything look proffessionaly done. Probably take you a day to do while having a few beers.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #58
uaejeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That was an awesome tutorial. Well done! Where can I buy online the NalinMFG Adapters? I live in the gulf so I doubt there are any
stores over here that have them. So would have to order online and have em shipped. Also there is no wallmart here
so what is another word for polyfill or description of it so I can search here.

Thanks
uaejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #59
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Order from NalinMFG.com.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #60
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaejeeper View Post
That was an awesome tutorial. Well done! Where can I buy online the NalinMFG Adapters? I live in the gulf so I doubt there are any
stores over here that have them. So would have to order online and have em shipped. Also there is no wallmart here
so what is another word for polyfill or description of it so I can search here.

Thanks
Thanks! I figured it was time I gave back to the community as I received lots of information on this forum myself and saved myself a lot of $$$ with different projects.

Get the adapters from http://www.nalinmfg.com/TJ-525-Speak...pters_p_8.html

It's a great price and he will have them shipped straight to your door

About the polyfill, take the pillow you sleep on and cut it up hehe just kidding. You can pretty much find that stuff in any pillow, just go to a store that sells pillows and find the cheapest one and tear it up to get the stuff. Also it doesn't need to be a big pillow, something small will do.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.