How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics)

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #31
02WranglerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How much polyfill do you need?

02WranglerTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #32
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your goal is to break up the backwave of the speaker do enough to occupy the space behind the speaker (a lil different than packing a sub box) but loosely pushed in...not crammed in. It gets caught in the speaker basket and wiring so don worry about it falling out.
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #33
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocash View Post
AK - did you use the same Polk Audio speakers as shown above?
Yup. With the MTX brackets it was a tight fit to the dash frame on the passenger side but I don't hear anything that sounds like it might have a problem with contact with the speaker surround. I didn't polyfil behind them, but I might do that as well as the sound bar sometime soon to see if it offers any more sound quality. I still have to order and install an amp to drive all the speakers (also have Polk shallow 6.5's in the sound bar. I suggest the standard 6.5's unless you run a subwoofer.) and install my Kenwood marine stereo, so I'll be running new speaker wires anyway. May as well get it all taken care of at once.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #34
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 04 TJ came from the PO with Alpine SPS-510 5.25" coaxials front and rear. Better than stock but 87db rating I'd like to swap out for something a little more efficient but for now these will do.

I added polyfill front and rear. The problems is I don't get much sound out of the front speakers as oppose to the rear speakers mounted in the pods. Would an (small) enclosure up front make that much of a difference?
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #35
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

More specifically the polyfill in this application is to lessen the chance that the sound from the rear of the speaker doesn't cancel out the sound from the front of the speaker. If you were able to completely "enclose" the rear of the speaker with fiberglass or something airtight you would get better bass and mid range.

You can test out the difference this makes with a home system easily. Simply reverse the wires on one of the speakers and you will know what is happening with the front speaker setup in a jeep.
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #36
PCfirefighter
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up and good idea on the poly
PCfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #37
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02WranglerTJ View Post
How much polyfill do you need?
I picked up a smaller sized pillow from Walmart cut it open. Didn't use all the polyfill either it just pushed it the back of the speakers until I noticed it was getting full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Your goal is to break up the backwave of the speaker do enough to occupy the space behind the speaker (a lil different than packing a sub box) but loosely pushed in...not crammed in. It gets caught in the speaker basket and wiring so don worry about it falling out.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCfirefighter View Post
Great write up and good idea on the poly
Thanks! Glad it's helping others out.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #38
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit View Post
Haven't done this yet but it's on the to do list. I'm interested to see what difference it makes.
I wish I would of taken a sound clip prior to polyfill and afterwards but I really didn't

But it just sounds deeper I know that from my previous speakers that didn't have anything back there. Plus for the $2 pillow I bought to rip the polyfill out of it it was worth it either way
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #39
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just stuffed some polyfill behind my front speakers...didn't notice too much of a difference but it was an old pillow that was going in the trash anyway. And I'm sure driving it on the highway will make it more noticeable. I have another pillow waiting to be used to fill the soundbar as well.
Unread 02-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #40
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Man this adapter sounds great. I'm extremely new to audio and I'm just plain not good at this stuff. What are some of the best 5.25" speakers? A lot of people in this thread have had to splice wires. Can you not get speakers that plug in?

How hard is it to get 6.25" speakers in the sounds bar? One said it was a pain in the *** but didn't go into detail.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #41
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BEQWK?tag=diecastpro&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B0002BEQWK&adid=15JM1KS3T9054TJV9Y79&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2F4x4icon.com%2Foffroad%2F121606_cherokee_speakers%2Findex.htm
I recall them being cheaper somewhere else though, may try searching the part number.

The most popular speaker in my experience has been Polk's DB521.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-5-25-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF8C/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329588870&sr=1-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Man this adapter sounds great. I'm extremely new to audio and I'm just plain not good at this stuff. What are some of the best 5.25" speakers? A lot of people in this thread have had to splice wires. Can you not get speakers that plug in?

How hard is it to get 6.25" speakers in the sounds bar? One said it was a pain in the *** but didn't go into detail.

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #42
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21

DB521 is your best bang for the buck.
The splicing of wires will be necessary as the speaker is not a stock component. It's quite easy to do nothing about it really, you can splice connectors and then plus the speakers in if it would help

6.25" speakers in the soundbar can vary because different 6.25" speakers vary slightly in size and throw stuff off and make it harder to mount. But either way you will need to make the soundbar hole a bit bigger for the speaker to fit in any case.
My Progress Page
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #43
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post

6.25" speakers in the soundbar can vary because different 6.25" speakers vary slightly in size and throw stuff off and make it harder to mount. But either way you will need to make the soundbar hole a bit bigger for the speaker to fit in any case.
Polk's matching 6.5" speakers go into the soundbar without any mods to the bar itself.
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #44
axxegrinder
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to add; I cut the bar with a pair of 18 gauge tin-snips that I paid $15 for. Just wanted to add this in case folks are thinking they need a higher priced Dremel or other tool.

- Chris
axxegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #45
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxegrinder View Post
Just wanted to add; I cut the bar with a pair of 18 gauge tin-snips that I paid $15 for. Just wanted to add this in case folks are thinking they need a higher priced Dremel or other tool.

- Chris
I will add your comment to the original post at the very top

Thanks for the input!
My Progress Page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.