How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics)

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 12-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
geocash
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
Yes, the speaker covers fit back on. My TJ, even with the MTX mounts that tilt the speaker up to vertical instead of contouring to the dash profile, has them on it and it doesn't look like anything's changed.
AK - did you use the same Polk Audio speakers as shown above?

geocash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

very nice write up! Ill be doing this mod this spring!

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I went from an OE to an aftermarket 4x6 to a 5.25 and in the end only because it is in an actual enclosure I went with a Later TJs infinity option dash speakers that are mounted in pods . For a mid range speaker the pods sound better . I am running an Alpine 45x4 amp . I installed an MB Quart crossover which feeds the pods in the dash and the MB Quart tweeters mounted on the upper corners of the dash .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #19
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocash

AK - did you use the same Polk Audio speakers as shown above?
Probably did, most everyone uses these Polks up front they sound amazing for the price you pay. Plus not a whole lot of that good 5.25" speakers around.

Just add some polyfill like I suggested.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #20
church
Rubi-Roo

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I added the 6.5" Polks to my Pods and the 5.25" up front with the Nalin adapters. The fronts were very easy to install with the adapters. The rears were a total pain! I like the fact that you can aim the highs on the 5.25's.
On the rear I had to cut off the lip all the way around the 6.5 to even get them to fit in the rear pods. Once it was all done, the sound is amazing. I cant believe how doing a little upgrade like this makes a huge difference in sound.

Got a pair of Nalins front speaker adapters for sale. (no screws)
church is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I ended up buying the nalin plates and 4x5.25 Polks just recently. I am new to installing car audio and I'm wondering what is the easiest way to wire these speakers. Snip the factory plug and solder to the posts on the Polks? Or use some other kind of connector?

Thanks.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #22
church
Rubi-Roo

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Snip the factory plug and solder to the posts on the Polks.
church is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #23
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit
I ended up buying the nalin plates and 4x5.25 Polks just recently. I am new to installing car audio and I'm wondering what is the easiest way to wire these speakers. Snip the factory plug and solder to the posts on the Polks? Or use some other kind of connector?

Thanks.
Whatever you feel comfortable with, I spliced in the connectors as shown on the pic above and then just slid then over the posts. Soldering is good idea but if you ever decide to remove them then you gotta break the connection.

I find the posts on the speakers sometimes are not very strong/heavy duty so breaking the post off trying to take wire off could cause some damage.

You can always solder the actual connector to the wire then still use connector over posts for easy removal down the road. At the end tho it's all your call
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #24
02WranglerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

NIce write up! I got really lucky and had the 7 speaker system. I didn't even have to do the metal trimming, great fit!
02WranglerTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So ended up using female spade connectors crushed onto the wire after snipping the factory plug off. So far, so good. And like the previous poster, I also didn't have to cut anything. The Nalin adapters work nicely.
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #26
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02WranglerTJ
NIce write up! I got really lucky and had the 7 speaker system. I didn't even have to do the metal trimming, great fit!
7 speaker system makes quite a diff in the ti! Always thought about adding that sub in the console but never got around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit
So ended up using female spade connectors crushed onto the wire after snipping the factory plug off. So far, so good. And like the previous poster, I also didn't have to cut anything. The Nalin adapters work nicely.
Both you guys must have newer TJs then? I think pre 02 has to cut the dash part of like I showed.

Don't forget to add polyfill!!!
My Progress Page
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
02WranglerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 02. Sub makes a Nice difference. Id like to get a 4.channel amp though.
02WranglerTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #28
Dickpalmer

I did this to my 00'TJ. It was tough cutting the braces until I remembered I had tin snips. Much much easier and no sparks or residue. I used some silicone between the speaker and mount to reduce the chance of vibration. I love these write ups. They make everything easier. Thanks.
Dickpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #29
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
7 speaker system makes quite a diff in the ti! Always thought about adding that sub in the console but never got around to it.

Both you guys must have newer TJs then? I think pre 02 has to cut the dash part of like I showed.

Correct. 1997-2002 require trimming of the subframe brace. 2003-2006 bolt on without modification.

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #30
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Haven't done this yet but it's on the to do list. I'm interested to see what difference it makes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.