How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How to Speaker Upgrade Tutorial: 4x6" to 5.25" (Lots of pics)

Figured I would do a write up and make it as detailed as possible so that people see how to upgrade their 4x6" speakers to 5.25" up front in their TJ. This is a decent improvement over the stock speakers when done and I was very pleased with the end result. The main issue with the stock speakers was that as soon as I turned up the music a bit up, the fronts would rattle this was because the screws were loose and the speakers just plain sucked for any decent music output.

It is a fairly straight forward procedure but it does involve some cutting on a little bar inside the dash as the 5.25" speaker is oval so its not a simple plug and play. This guide is good for 97 to 06 year TJ's.

This install took ~2hours and I took my time and I even had a bite to eat in between.

Tools needed:
Philips Screw Driver
Allan Head Screw Driver
Pliers
Wire Strippers
Dremel or some sort of hack saw in order to cut steel beam - Dremel recommended
5.25" NalinMFG speaker adapters
PolyFill
5.25" Speakers of your choice

Another member mentioned that he used 18 gauge tin-snips to cut the steel beam off instead of using a dremel. So if you don't have a dremel guess you can try tin-snips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxegrinder View Post
Just wanted to add; I cut the bar with a pair of 18 gauge tin-snips that I paid $15 for. Just wanted to add this in case folks are thinking they need a higher priced Dremel or other tool.

- Chris

There is a variety of adapters plates online and they range from 10-20$. I really did not want to go with some plastic ones due to maybe cracking or rattling so I opted to go with the NalinMFG. I had previously read some good reviews about them and figured why not give them a try considering they are 14g CNC laser cut steel. These plates will also fit ANY 5.25" aftermarket speaker. The quality of these adapters is really superb and solid. In your package you receive two (2) adapter plates(driver & passenger), (8) #8 machine bolts, and (8) #8 nylock nuts. and you really can't beat the price of $14.99.

Procedure:
Okay, here we go.

1) Start of by removing the 2 Philip head screws

2) Once removed you will find your speaker setup. As you can see from my pictures this was quite a ghetto setup. Remove the 4 or however many screws hold your speakers.

3) Once the speaker is removed, you will be left over with other adapters/random stuff perhaps like me. I removed everything and just left the bare steel framing there. Because the NalingMFG adapters bolt straight into the steel frames holes you don't need any of this extra stuff.

4) This is the tricky part, this is what you want to cut as much as possible off in order to fit the speakers in. It's quite heavy steel so get your dremel out and start cutting. This was the longest part of the entire upgrade. And I highly recommend to use the dremel as it makes the job fairly easy. It was a bit hard getting the dremel in there due to space constraints but I managed. Also I did remove the glove compartment to make things easier.

You also might want to put something in the rear because there will be sparks flying, I had this towel lying around, soaked it a bit with water and covered the rear so no sparks would get anywheres and damage anything.

Once you cut one part off you can easily bend it at the upper portion, this will make it a lot easier to get to. Also you can probably just cut a bit at the top and wiggle it until it breaks off if your in a hurry. Here is a picture of the bottom all cut.

5) This is what the end result should look like when you finish taking the bracket off.

And here is how much I actually cut off from the actual steel framing. I had no issues fitting the speakers in afterwards.

6) After this it's pretty straight forward and you just have to attach your speakers to the bracket and screw the bracket on and connect the wires.

Here are the speakers that I had picked up online. They are Polk Audio DB521 5.25". They came with screws but I did not have to use them at all. The nice thing with these speakers is you can move the tweets around and position them at different angles of your liking.

7) Use the screws provided that came with the adapters plates to attach your speakers to the plate itself.

8) After the speakers are mounted, you want to connect the speakers to your existing wires. IMPORTANT: Usual colour code is the wire that is striped (red/white) is the (+) and the solid colour wire (white) is the (-), you don't want to flip the polarity on the connections you could ruin your speakers. If your not sure what's what, before disconnecting your old speaker look carefully and you should see a small (+) and (-) on the board so make notice of that.

The speakers I bought came from a 04 TJ so they already had the pigtail on them for straight connection, but I just cut those off and spliced in the wires.

If your upgrading in a newer TJ, I guess this would of been just straight plug and play setup.

9) Start sliding in your speakers into the hole and it should be a easy fit if you have removed enough from the steel frame.

And here is a picture of the speakers actually mounted on the frame. Nice and tight and there should not be any rattling.

Optional: Polyfill

I read online that polyfill helps with keeping the sound waves from bouncing around. Especially since the TJ is not that great of a vehicle for sound any little bit helps. You can pick up polyfill at walmart and it was like $5. I just kept stuffing it in until I noticed it was getting really full back there.

Conclusion and Thoughts:
Overall this upgrade cost me just under $80 for the speakers and the plates. Personally think it was well worth the price especially since we all listen to music on a daily basis in the Jeep. Driving the Jeep earlier tonight I noticed it sounded a lot more balanced inside and almost as fell I was being hit by music all around me and not just coming from the sound bar.

The NalinMFG Adapters were wonderful and of high quality and they were designed to be a perfect fit. I would highly recommend these for anyone planning on doing this upgrade.

And here is a couple of images from the finished product. If you have any questions or if something is not detailed enough please let me know. Cheers.

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great write up! I just did the same thing to mine, except I was able to bend and move the support beam enough to get my kickers to fit, one question, do you have anything keeping the polyfill up? Or does it just hold istelf up? I stuffed my soundbar with polyfill, but would like to put some up front as well.

Also, great choice with the polk DB's, I love my 651's in the soundbar!
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastshot View Post
Great write up! I just did the same thing to mine, except I was able to bend and move the support beam enough to get my kickers to fit, one question, do you have anything keeping the polyfill up? Or does it just hold istelf up? I stuffed my soundbar with polyfill, but would like to put some up front as well.

Also, great choice with the polk DB's, I love my 651's in the soundbar!
Thanks! Yah the DB's are a nice speaker for the price.

The Polyfill is held in place by itself and since I pressured it in. No idea if its going to stay in place by itself only time will tell but I don't see it falling off. The stuff is somewhat thick and sticks together. Walmart had a bag of polyfill but it was way too much for this application, what I did was buy a smaller sized pillow and just cut it open and took the stuff out of it lol
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Bababoey22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job. Thanks
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bababoey22 View Post
Nice job. Thanks
No problem!

Just an update, after having this now for 2 weeks, I have not seen any polyfill on the floor inside the Jeep. So it does in fact stay in place by itself and won't just fall down.
My Progress Page
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Will the stock speaker covers fit with the new 5.25 speakers.
MountainMan864 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
JLITTY
1946 CJ2A 

awesome! I got a set of those adapters myself, they are pretty sweet.
JLITTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864
The stock speakers are not 5.25", to my understanding all tjs come with 4x6" speakers.

For the Polk speakers I got the covers wouldn't of fit onto the speaker as space is pretty tight, unless the cover is really flat you might be able to squeeze them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLITTY
awesome! I got a set of those adapters myself, they are pretty sweet.
Totally agree the adapters are of excellent quality and no rattling. For the price they are worth every penny and the upgrade sure adds to the music touch in the jeep.

Highly recommend the polyfill also.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
My Progress Page
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent install write-up!

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
Facebook: NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Yes, just cut away that vertical metal braket, or bend it enough so that the speaker tucks into the dash more. I was able to fit my Kickers in there no problem, and the stock covers fit nice and flush. Nice stealth upgrade
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastshot View Post
Yes, just cut away that vertical metal braket, or bend it enough so that the speaker tucks into the dash more. I was able to fit my Kickers in there no problem, and the stock covers fit nice and flush. Nice stealth upgrade
Must be a tight fit tho? Any benefit to actually putting the speaker covers over?

I left mine just the way the pictures show never used the speaker covers that came with it.
My Progress Page
Unread 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
josh2010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quick question, how exactly do you disconnect the old wires and then connect the new wires?

I realize this is extremely basic, but it's the only part I'm not clear on...

Thanks!
josh2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh2010 View Post
Quick question, how exactly do you disconnect the old wires and then connect the new wires?

I realize this is extremely basic, but it's the only part I'm not clear on...

Thanks!
Well my previous speakers had these little guys on them.

All I did was unplug those, then cut off the connectors (whit ones in picture) that came on the new speakers and just spliced a new set of the ones in the picture for an easy connection.
My Progress Page
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great write up, thanks. Just the thing I was looking for
4x4Brit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #15
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Must be a tight fit tho? Any benefit to actually putting the speaker covers over?

I left mine just the way the pictures show never used the speaker covers that came with it.
Yes, the speaker covers fit back on. My TJ, even with the MTX mounts that tilt the speaker up to vertical instead of contouring to the dash profile, has them on it and it doesn't look like anything's changed.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.