How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #121
cheech66
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWavelength View Post
Question about amps with this swap... If you upgrade to the 2 ohm Kicker, will it have more or less "kick" than the factory sub? Also, If you added a small aftermarket 150w RMS amp how much more "kick" would the sub have and would it be worth buying the aftermarket amp instead of using the factory one?
i put in the kicker big diff as for the amp it comes down too $ if its not a big deal than why not (I did not know kicker had one) as far as the enclosure it is what it is but I like the stock setup and not wastin space in the back, with that being said the kicker sub was well worth the couple extra $ over the pyramid sub just my 2 cents!!!

cheech66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #122
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I put in the Bazooka to replace a working factory sub and yes it's a night and day improvement.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #123
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWavelength View Post
So is it worth the $60 to replace the sub? My sub works fine I just want a better one... and is it really worth the effort then to get a 4 ohm Kicker and matching amp or is the box so crappy that it won't matter...
Another reason to upgrade might be weather-ability. If you drive around with your top down often, the stock sub WILL fail. It is inevitable because of the poor construction materials (paper and foam). It is a toss up as to upgrade before it fails or not. If you are going to remove the console for something else, then upgrade at the same time. Otherwise, might as well let it fail.

As far as improved performance, these aren't really well spent money.
Toronto, ON, Canada
sparkeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #124
KaptinNemo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where do I get the parts to do this, I have a 2004 rubicon and i want a sub, the stock one will suffice. But I don't know if I need a new console or what can somone help me?
KaptinNemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #125
ArcherAce
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The link in the op still works.
OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Aerodynamics are overrated
ArcherAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #126
KaptinNemo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What's the op? I just want to know where I can get the console suited for the amp and how much the wiring is tobrun under the shift coloumn.
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #127
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OP= original poster

I would be surprised if a rubicon came without the factory sub unless you are the first owner and you ordered it that way. Does your center console have the black cd tray when you lift hte lid or a big white bucket that goes to the floor? If you have the blackcd tray you probably have the sub. Put the drivers seat up like you're climbing in back and look through the slats in the side of the console...do you see a piece of black grill cloth? If so your sub may be blown or not connected properly. If you want to buy an enclosure check your dealership, wyckoff jeeps in the vendeor section of the forum or jeepsareus.com...you can usually find one used on ebay but it may be in questionable condition.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #128
KaptinNemo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

it has the white tub that goes to the floor, and the black cloth over the grille on driver side by the seat. I have looked under it and it had no sub, I was wondering do I need a new console or will the sub work in there?
Unread 06-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #129
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I thought my sub was blown but the other day it starts working for a few seconds at a time. I ordered the piramid replacment but no combination of wires works. I've traced wires looking for a loose connection with no luck... whats next?

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #130
rkeough
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, the truly great posts just will not die. Again, thanks to the OP. I installed the Pyramid about a month ago. Worked fine until recently when I started getting distortion. Thought I had blown it, but when I took it back apart I discovered it was intact, though the two wires running to the speaker cone were impacting the cone itself and the coil below - which was the source of the distortion. Also - as I began tinkering with it I discovered what appears to be a short in one of the wires....so it cuts out intermittently. So I'm back to the drawing board. I guess I just got a dud Pyramid speaker. I'm chalking this one up to manufacturer's defect. So now I'm thinking I need to search for a 6.5" 2-ohm Kicker. There are a few available from retailers on the web. But a little more money. And since the Pyramid was a 4-ohm, maybe the 2-ohm will perform better anyway? Any advice?
rkeough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #131
cheech66
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeough View Post
Well, the truly great posts just will not die. Again, thanks to the OP. I installed the Pyramid about a month ago. Worked fine until recently when I started getting distortion. Thought I had blown it, but when I took it back apart I discovered it was intact, though the two wires running to the speaker cone were impacting the cone itself and the coil below - which was the source of the distortion. Also - as I began tinkering with it I discovered what appears to be a short in one of the wires....so it cuts out intermittently. So I'm back to the drawing board. I guess I just got a dud Pyramid speaker. I'm chalking this one up to manufacturer's defect. So now I'm thinking I need to search for a 6.5" 2-ohm Kicker. There are a few available from retailers on the web. But a little more money. And since the Pyramid was a 4-ohm, maybe the 2-ohm will perform better anyway? Any advice?
I went with this: KICKER 2010 10 CVT65 6.5" CAR SUBWOOFER 2-OHM COMPVT - eBay (item 400134221701 end time Aug-04-10 11:52:27 PDT)

off ebay after lots of lookin around no one could beat it and I love the sound still!!! GL
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #132
rkeough
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cheech - did you connect it to the factory amp in the console or did you install with an aftermarket amp? Also: The Kicker CVT65 looks like it has jack connections. How did you connect the factory wiring to the sub? Am I going to have to solder connectors to the factory wire?
rkeough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #133
cheech66
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeough View Post
Cheech - did you connect it to the factory amp in the console or did you install with an aftermarket amp? Also: The Kicker CVT65 looks like it has jack connections. How did you connect the factory wiring to the sub? Am I going to have to solder connectors to the factory wire?
look back one page you will see what i did and no you do not have to solder pulls up as i remember and slides in red and black worked best for me!!!
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #134
Tunnelworm2001

So I've managed to pull the sub with no problem but still confused on the wiring portion. The stock sub has 4 terminals and 4 wires, Brown/Gray & Red/Black. My new Pyramid 4 Ohm 300 wt sub (PW677X) has only 3 terminals? Is the reccomeandation to go Brown + Gray -, and if so which remaining wire (red/black) goes to the oddball 3rd terminal on the opposite side. Hate to beat a dead horse here but would really appreciate feedback here. I'd hate to burn up my $13 investment :-)
Tunnelworm2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #135
Miterman
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnelworm2001 View Post
So I've managed to pull the sub with no problem but still confused on the wiring portion. The stock sub has 4 terminals and 4 wires, Brown/Gray & Red/Black. My new Pyramid 4 Ohm 300 wt sub (PW677X) has only 3 terminals? Is the reccomeandation to go Brown + Gray -, and if so which remaining wire (red/black) goes to the oddball 3rd terminal on the opposite side. Hate to beat a dead horse here but would really appreciate feedback here. I'd hate to burn up my $13 investment :-)
Just thought I would let everyone know that this thread was very helpful to me. I actually found that a battery test worked well to determine the correct wiring. As you pull the wires off the old sub write what the color was under the connectors (on the magnet with a sharpie worked for me). Tie a lead of wire to each of the connectors on the oem sub and then contact them to a small battery. I used a AAA. If you have correct phase then the speaker will jump out, while if you are incorrect the cone will suck in. Positive terminal on the battery equals positive terminal on the speaker. On mine both of the larger terminals were positive... this is probably always the case.

BTW, I got the shallow mount Kicker sub, the black one 2ohm. Much better than stock, quite impressive really. Almost seems like a little too much for me. I just hope that crappy plastic holds the screws.
Miterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.