How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements

Unread 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #106
SirGCal

It's fine either way. Most people just hook up one pair. But as long as you're sure you got the + and - pairs right, you can use them both, just as long as you don't put one + and one - on each input. It won't change the performance in any way though either way (unless you do mix them up, which would be bad) on a single voice coil sub.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #107
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
It's fine either way. Most people just hook up one pair. But as long as you're sure you got the + and - pairs right, you can use them both, just as long as you don't put one + and one - on each input. It won't change the performance in any way though either way (unless you do mix them up, which would be bad) on a single voice coil sub.
I have my factory service manual with wiring diagrams, so I should be ok. Thanks for the help.
Toronto, ON, Canada
sparkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #108
hokiejeep03
1999 WJ 

This is a great write up. Just finished changing my sub out. I put in a kicker 6.5 and it sounds great. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic.
hokiejeep03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #109
betag2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the stock amp? I'm installing a sub console in a 97 TJ to a JVC head unit.
Thanks for the write.
betag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #110
cpj323
2002 TJ Wrangler 

1st time posing. Great write up. Followed the swap out to a "T" with a new 2010 Kicker 6.5" Comp VT 2-Ohm woofer bought off Ebay for $55, shipping included.

Only difference: The CD tray had 2 screws that were holding the enclosure in place, had to remove those.

I also only used the grey and brown wires. Put wing nuts on the red and black and stuffed them in the enclosure.

Thanks for all the help. Sounds great
cpj323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #111
02SurfBlueTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Kicker 10CVT652

Nice write up..

I opted for the kicker 10CVT652 too for a few reasons..It was only $55 w/shipping from ebay Ebay 10CVT652 search, its 2 Ohm which is closer to the factory impedence, and I've been a fan of kicker since the days when I had 2x12" kicker comps in the trunk of my old Camry.

This thing won't rattle your teeth out, but it's fills in the sound nicely and adds just enough kick so you can feel the bass drums, etc.

pics here

Overall.. I'm satisfied
02SurfBlueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #112
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
I installed the Bazooka WF621.5DV last year. Much improvement over the factory sub. It does not 'hit hard' like the cars at the local high school, but is louder and more clear than the factory. It is a dual voice coil so there is nothing perplexing about the wiring either!

Factory Vs. Bazooka:

Cutting Required:

I attached the wires just as the factory sub was. Red/black up top and the others at the bottom.

Fitted box, sealed with RTV around the edge:
I just used the same sub, wow it's much better. I had already upgraded the other speakers and now it sounds like it.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #113
cheech66
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This thread has been a little dormant so I thought I would bring it back!! I installed the Item:KICKER 10 CVT65-2 CAR 6.5" SUBWOOFER/SUB WOOFER CVT652 by the way there is a used one on ebay 40 bucks! KICKER 10 CVT65 2-Ohm 6.5" CompVT Subwoofer - eBay (item 300426500708 end time May-17-10 14:20:23 PDT) The install took some time but was flawless tks to the awesome write up!! The only hiccup I had was there is 2 screws in the enslosure (inside part where storage is) that I had to remove on my LJ 06!! I would have taken pics but the wifey has the camera!!?? I went with red + black -, I tried all the combos but this delivered the best sound imo!! It was nice to pull the console out and clean all the crap up, now I know what your thinkin hows the sound??? Incredible what a differnence over stock btw my stock sub seems ok if anyone wants one pm me will work something out!! Great mod and I am sorry I did not do it sooner, I want to go out and by the Chronic cd to really test the thump!!!!! By the way changed my spark plugs also and they were way out of wack gap wise some of those suckers were up around .70 gap wise suprised the LJ was still runnin tks for the write up I had a great time with this mod!!!
cheech66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #114
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed my new subwoofer speaker this afternoon. Everything went smoothly and I thought I would post additional pictures to compliment the ones already posted.

Here is what you see if your stock sub is blown...

There is a fabric dust cover that is supposed to be attached to the foam cone surround but that had ripped off. Also, the foam surround was torn around half the circumference. Good riddance!

Here is the stock speaker compared to a kicker 6.5 speaker.

I was under the impression that the kicker would fit without modification, but it turned out I had to remove some plastic fins from the back wall to allow the speaker to sit flat. Here is an image of all the 8 holes pre-drilled to show that they are a good distance from the edge. I shimmed the speaker into a centered position using layers of double sided foam tape before drilling the holes.

Then I connected the red/black wire and taped up the other two. I added a line of RTV around the edge and secured the new speaker in place with #8 x 1/2" pan head wood screws (not the flathead type). They seemed to provide a good bite into the plastic and fit the holes in the speaker well. You don't have to seal the old holes because they are actually blind holes into the plastic.
Toronto, ON, Canada
sparkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #115
fjc1982
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Finally installed the Pyramid today. The stock Sub had blown the entire way around. I took the black and red wires and attached them to the sub while taping the brown and grey off to the cluster. Great write up!!! I've never done any stereo or electrical work at all but I was able to get this in without any problem! THANKS!!!
fjc1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #116
rkeough
RuBiK

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks to all contributors to this thread. Lot's of input on various install issues and methods. I bought the Pyramid 6.5" sub from Parts Express. Their prices have gone up a bit since the original post, but still around $20 delivered. Install was cake thanks to this thread. My ride is an '05 Unlimited and it had two sets of wires: red/black and brown/grey. I simply hooked the wires up the same way they were connected to the factory sub and no issues. I soldered everything for good contact and to avoid them coming loose over time. My opinion is the sound quality is as good as the stock. But I'm betting the poly material will last a lot longer than the paper cone did on the old one.
rkeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #117
LogicWavelength
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Question about amps with this swap... If you upgrade to the 2 ohm Kicker, will it have more or less "kick" than the factory sub? Also, If you added a small aftermarket 150w RMS amp how much more "kick" would the sub have and would it be worth buying the aftermarket amp instead of using the factory one?
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #118
SirGCal

Well, the stock amp is ~ 75W @ 1-ohm, so at 2-ohms it's only going to be ~ 37.5W. So a true 150W RMS amp @ 2-ohms (might be hard to find) is a huge power jump. However, the 'kick' is really limited to the box and the stock box... well... sucks for lack of a better word. So more power will get it louder but it won't really impact hard and clean until you reinforce the box or build a new replacement.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #119
LogicWavelength
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So is it worth the $60 to replace the sub? My sub works fine I just want a better one... and is it really worth the effort then to get a 4 ohm Kicker and matching amp or is the box so crappy that it won't matter...
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #120
SirGCal

If yours is working fine, no. It's not an upgrade. It's a replacement for a failed stock unit with roughly similar results. Upgrading to a new amp and new sub will help some, new box will help a lot more. Each part is a step.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.