How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #91
jeepmojo01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished installing the pyramid in the factory consule w/factory amp and sounds good....I have been looking for a replacement for about 6 months...thanks for the thread write up

[SIZE="5"][/SIZE][COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow Jeep Club Member #2004[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Orange"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/[/url][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/acronym-list-472282/[/url][/COLOR]

[url]www.MilitaryJeepers.com[/url]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-error-code-list-861376/[/url]
jeepmojo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #92
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It appears that my "new" 05 Unlimited did not come with the sub option. I open my center console and I just find a huge storage area. I would like to know what I need to do or what I can do to get a sub and amplifier in my console as it similar to ones that came with sub, amp console from the factory. (I am assuming there is an amp in there along with the sub for those of you that have the factory option).

So, is the wiring in place and all I need is to buy the sub and amp? I also need the adaptor that gives me some console storage area like the ones that come with the sub from the factory.
Unread 02-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #93
SirGCal

No, you'd need to buy the console that supports the sub also unless yours has the sub allowances in it already, the sub enclosure and the amp and the wiring harness to get from there to the dash.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #94
bones23
2006 TJ Wrangler 

excellent write up and additions thanks too all, just a couple of questions. If you get a sub with 2 ohms can't you just hook all the wires back up to it two positives and two negatives? What is the point of the four wires if only two are needed. Again great effort by all. Thanks in advance.
bones23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #95
jd12345

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.
I replaced the factory sub in my '03 rubicon with the pyramid as originally suggested and everything worked great. I noted (as have others) that there were differences in which sets of positive and negatives worked for hooking up the speakers for different people. For me, both sets of positive and negative worked and I could have just chosen one. But I tied the two positives together and the two negatives together and hooked them both up to the subwoofer. That worked. I don't think it made any difference in the sound, but that's what I did.
Also, I later installed a new Pioneer head unit and the subwoofer stopped working. I realized it's b/c I forgot to the hook up the power antennae wire to the head unit (the amp for the subwoofer uses this power connection).
Please note, I am only reiterating points already made in this thread by others so THANK YOU so much to all who posted what worked for them with this project. Your help was invaluable.
jd12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #96
gjeppesen
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OK. Old post, but a question was never clearly answered. How do you get from 4 wires to 2?
gjeppesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #97
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You basically need to try wire combinations until the sound is good, then tape off the remaining two wires.

The best way to fix the 4 wire problem is to buy a dual voice coil sub like the bazooka. It is wired up just like factory and has no guess work.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #98
SirGCal

The four wires go to the same input pair. Two + and two - wires. Doesn't matter which ones you use as long as you have one of each.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 02-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #99
bones23
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for following up and clearing up four wire question.
bones23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #100
Mindcrime13
2006 TJ Wrangler 

well i guess i join the club in the blown sub issue, i just bought a 2006 65th anniversary, and the sub is blown, i just order the pyramid one from ebay for 22 shipped, and i was wondering, is it possible to hook a small amp, (like the mitzu suggested) to give the speaker a bit more power? without changing the stock stereo, like taking the sub leads connecting them to the amp input and then connect the speaker to the output? im just looking for a bit more bass without changing the stock configuration

thanks for the great write up!
Mindcrime13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #101
Mindcrime13
2006 TJ Wrangler 

this is the amp:

NEW 300 WATT MINI SIZE CAR STEREO SPEAKER AMPLIFIER amp - eBay (item 230433752545 end time Mar-07-10 19:34:54 PST)

Mindcrime13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #102
dood1

Nice write-up
dood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #103
gcrv01tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So I tried this tonight and nothing. I bought an aftermarket headunit. I thought I hooked up all of the wires back there but I could be wrong. I have a Alpine CDA-105 installed. It has a sub option on it so idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gcrv01tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #104
SirGCal

most likely, you wired it wrong. You don't have the amp turn-on output going to the stock wiring harness' power antenna wire.

Quote:
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #105
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
The four wires go to the same input pair. Two + and two - wires. Doesn't matter which ones you use as long as you have one of each.
So, you're saying it is OK to connect both +ve wires from the stock setup to the +ve terminal and both -ve wires from the stock setup to the -ve terminal of a new single coil speaker (like jd12345 did in an above post)?

Edit: Now that I re-read your post, that's probably not what you're saying, but is it ok? My understanding is that if you only hook up one pair, then you are really only using your sub in a mono capacity with either the right or left channel (whichever you happened to hook up).
Toronto, ON, Canada
sparkeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.