How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #76
ArcherAce
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I only use the gray and black wires. Grey to the positive side of the speaker and black to the negative. The rest of the wires were not used. I taped them up

OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Aerodynamics are overrated
ArcherAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #77
wl07
2005 LJ Wrangler 

just got done installing the 6.5" kicker sub and much better sound quality than stock. i had to use the black and red wires red- black+. now just waiting for the adapter plate for the 5.25 front speakers. already have upgraded speakers in the sound bar and aftermarket stereo.
wl07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #78
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl07 View Post
just got done installing the 6.5" kicker sub and much better sound quality than stock. i had to use the black and red wires red- black+. now just waiting for the adapter plate for the 5.25 front speakers. already have upgraded speakers in the sound bar and aftermarket stereo.
Any pics? What brand of 6.5 kicker did you use and where did you get it?
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #79
bleachedrock
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sent the wrong sub.

Just an update on the Bazooka, Although the box said it was a WF621, I actually received a WF821, an 8 inch sub. After MUCH internal strife I decided not to bust out the Dremel and *make* the sub fit. Bazooka said they will ship out the correct sub with a paid return shipping label for the wrong sub.

Hopefully the sub sounds as good as their customer service was nice...

Will give more info once installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachedrock View Post
Hi Guys, I have a 2002 Apex edition Wrangler. It's factory sub was blown by my wife rocking some Brittney Spears or other such lameness... Anyway, somewhere I found a link for this Bazooka 6.5 inch, 2 Ohm DVC sub

I have not put it in yet so I can't say if it's any good yet. I'm hoping that it's a bit better then the factory sub being a "bazooka". I suspect it will behave better the 4 Ohm speakers just because it can utilize the factory amp better. On paper, it appears to be the closest thing to a direct replacement for the factory speaker.

I'll give an update once I have the thing installed. Hopefully I'll have the time tomorrow, Christmas eve.
bleachedrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #80
smulawjc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bleachedrock,

Well when you get it installed let us know how it sounds. I also have a 2002 Apex. I don't mind the original sub this string suggests, but I would like to know if the bazooka you found gives more "volume" since it matches the ohms more closely.
smulawjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #81
wl07
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzjeep View Post
Any pics? What brand of 6.5 kicker did you use and where did you get it?
sorry i didnt keep the info of the sub it was 6.5 kicker 2 ohm slimline i got it at sonix electronix. with the slimline i didnt have to make any adjustments at all just slipped it in and it was a perfect fit. i think it is the only 6.5 they sell
Unread 12-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #82
wl07
2005 LJ Wrangler 

just checked online and the kicker was model 08cvt652
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #83
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks. Did you wire up any amp or just ran the new sub off the existing setup?
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #84
ThirdNcountin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed the Pyramid and it sounds very good. I blew my stock speaker several months ago and just replaced it. I think the pyramid is very comparable to the stock sub. I had to use brown+/gray-
ThirdNcountin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #85
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachedrock View Post
Just an update on the Bazooka, Although the box said it was a WF621, I actually received a WF821, an 8 inch sub. After MUCH internal strife I decided not to bust out the Dremel and *make* the sub fit. Bazooka said they will ship out the correct sub with a paid return shipping label for the wrong sub.

Hopefully the sub sounds as good as their customer service was nice...

Will give more info once installed.
I installed the Bazooka WF621.5DV last year. Much improvement over the factory sub. It does not 'hit hard' like the cars at the local high school, but is louder and more clear than the factory. It is a dual voice coil so there is nothing perplexing about the wiring either!

Factory Vs. Bazooka:

Cutting Required:

I attached the wires just as the factory sub was. Red/black up top and the others at the bottom.

Fitted box, sealed with RTV around the edge:
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #86
Maxxram
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just got done installing the pyramid sub, cost me $19 shipped.
I hooked up all four wire to the sub. I hooked the red and white to the Neg side and the Black and Brown to the Pos side. Tested the sub before putting it back in the consul and everything works great. It nice to actually have a little Bass in the Jeep again.
Thanks for the great write-up.
Maxxram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #87
fjc1982
2003 TJ Wrangler 

About to order a Pyramid, figure it's better to spend 10 bucks on a replacement especially when I don't particularly care about the sound. I just want it to stop sounding like pounded crap.
fjc1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #88
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just for reference... It looks like that bazooka is a much easier fit than a 6W3 JL.

But i managed to cram it in there.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/j...nstall-935510/
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #89
Rogue169

I just finished replacing my blown factory subwoofer with the Pyramid WX65X sub from Parts Express, and the thing sounds great! I was a bit skeptical as I used the factory enclosure and amp.

The cone of my factory unit was torn all around the edge. The job took me about 2 hours (including dragging tools out, removing old console, trimming to fit, rewiring, coffee, pee break, more coffee, chasing the puppy around, cleaning up residue from soda previous owner spilled, and packing up tools).

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler with a Pioneer stereo and factory speakers. The sub sounds great! It impressed me, especially since I only invested $27 including shipping!

Now note that I am not into radio competitions and such, but for my purposes the thing sounds great (it will shake your behind)! I highly suggest this mod if you are tired of hearing the fuzz from the blown factory sub, and don't want to waste $400 for the factory unit, or more on system mods!

Oh yeah, for my '02, the brown wire was positive, and the gray wire was negative. I hope this helps someone out there!
Rogue169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #90
GAjeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the Pyramid sub last week, and this thread was very helpful, thanks!
GAjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.