How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #46
ehowell
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Finally, sound outta the woofer. What finally worked was Brown to + and Balck to -. Tape up the red and gray wires and put them out of the way. Other than the pain in the butt this project was, everything sounds really good.

ehowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #47
ArcherAce
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear you got it figured out.
OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Aerodynamics are overrated
ArcherAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #48
lvjeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I made brackets from cutting around the stock 4x6 stock speakers and then drilling new holes. I replaced the stock speakers w/ Kicker 4x6 not 5.25 but i'm sure you can do this for the 5.25's also. I'll post a link w/ photos if your still interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzero View Post
yeah, i think im buying some 6.5 2 ways today to put in the pods. I am looking into the 5.25's for the front, but I wanted to see if there is a way to make brackets for them out of the stock brackets in there by just cutting it and drilling new holes. if anyone has done this, let me know. I think it's going to go in this weekend. next weekend im probably going to pull that crappy stock deck out and put in a clarion or insignia. i don't know if I'll end up with any type of sub or not.
lvjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #49
beaverboi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up!! I went black + red - and some polyfil in the enclosure. Sounds much better than stock. Now for the rest of the speakers. If only they were as cheap here in canada as they are in the u.s.
beaverboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #50
TexasTom
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just did this replacement this weekend with the pyramid sub. Works great! Good write up. This speaker is just as good as the stock one the stealerhsip wants $250+ for.

----Unknown
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #51
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i have an aftermarket sony headunit the previous owner put on. How do I know if my sub is blown or just not hooked up to the headunit he put on?
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #52
ehowell
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How to Replace the Factory Subwoofer

I have a Sony head unit that I ordered from Crutchfield and it came with their wiring harness. If I remember correctly, the Blue wire on the Crutchfield wiring harness (which is marked "Power Antenna") was the one that connected to the factory subwoofer wire (which is also Blue; I think) in the dash.

Just a further comment on archerace's write up. From reading this thread, it's amazing how many wiring combinations work (or don't work) when wiring the speaker to the harness in the console. Gray to + for some, Black to + for some, and Brown to + for me. I would just add that it is a good idea to place the console back in the Jeep, connect the wiring harness, lay the speaker in the front seat, and then see which comination works before final assembly.
ehowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #53
ArcherAce
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Always a good idea to test anything before you reassemble it. Good call ehowell!
OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 08-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #54
Dirtbooger
2001 TJ Wrangler 

FYI - 2001, Sahara, TJ

I had to use the red and black wire as someone mentioned on here as well.

Also I found you can take 2 screws out in instead of removing the nut on the front of the console. I broke the stud on the back of the console trying to get off the nut.

The speaker sounds great for what I paid for it and a hell of alot better than the stock speaker.

I stuffed some good stiff packing foam in the enclosure and applied silicone and RTV silicone adhesive to make sure it was sealed up real good.

I used a pair of diagonal cutters to make room for the speaker. Piece of cake.
Dirtbooger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #55
ArcherAce
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My sub was blown when I bought the Jeep. So, I have no idea whether this replacement sounds as good, or better, than the stock sub.

I'm glad to hear that it sounds as good as, if not better than the overpriced sub the stealership sells.
OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ArcherAce; 08-22-2009 at 08:26 PM..
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #56
yobeez
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone looked at this Kicker?

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...08+CVT65+2-Ohm

looks like it has the 2 ohm and is a bit more than the Pyramid but might be worth the extra cash. What was the mounting depth of the Pyramind again?

Looks like that Kicker is 3/16 deeper......from the pics it looks OK to fit.

Last edited by yobeez; 08-09-2009 at 05:34 PM..
yobeez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #57
stinchcomb

yobeez...a bit more? A lot more, I just ordered the Pyramid from Buy.com for less than $19 including shipping. Not that that is a bad price, but I’m with the rest of the budget minded here, just want a good factory sound.

This has been a great write-up and educational as to replacing the factory speaker with a better than factory replacement. It is funny what others have experienced with wiring combo:
1. GCJoes, who tested several ways, said “I used the Gray + / Brown –
2. Another says “red and black wires”
3. And another “Finally, sound out of the woofer. What finally worked was Brown to + and Black to -. Tape up the red and gray wires and put them out of the way.”
4. Another “I went black + red - and some polyfil in the enclosure.”
5. Another “Gray to + for some, Black to + for some, and Brown to + for me.”

I guess I’ll try all until I get the correct combo before buttoning everything up.
My factory sub stopped working about 4 months after installing a new head unit. After reading all of this, I’m guessing an aftermarket head unit doesn’t work with the factory woofer and something gives. Being the “CHEAP” $250+ factory speaker.
Thanks to all who have contributed to this. When my speaker stopped working in my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited I had no idea where to start. These boards and the internet is an amazing tool!!

I’ll post what wiring works best for me when complete.
stinchcomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #58
lvjeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobeez View Post
Has anyone looked at this Kicker?

Kicker 08 CVT65 2-Ohm 6.5" CompVT Car subwoofer Car Subwoofers 08CVT652 08CVT 65 subwoofer sub woofer in car auto speakers audio stereo dual pair shallow low flat mount depth inch cheap on sale power best single/dual voice-coil

looks like it has the 2 ohm and is a bit more than the Pyramid but might be worth the extra cash. What was the mounting depth of the Pyramind again?

Looks like that Kicker is 3/16 deeper......from the pics it looks OK to fit.
The Kicker would not sound as good as the Pyramid due to the lack of watt's it produces.
lvjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #59
stinchcomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinchcomb View Post
I’ll post what wiring works best for me when complete.
Well, I completed my subwoofer swap this weekend. The instruction here made it an easy task. All went exactly as described. I played with wiring combinations and found the red as neg and the white as pos worked best for me. I actually got sound with all the combinations, but this combo seemed to get the stronger speaker response.

I can't say the sound is any better than factory though. When it was new and working right, the factory speaker had some good thump to it that this one just doesn't seem to be getting. Could be the way I hooked it up, but I'm glad to just get some bass back in my system.
stinchcomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #60
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It has less thump because the wattage has changed. The factory subwoofer runs the factory amp at 1 ohm and takes the most advantage of the amp. When you switch to an aftermarket sub running the amp at 4 ohms you have decreased your power by 2/3.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.