How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #31
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice, wish I'd seen this writeup before now! I've had something rolling around inside the center console since my LJ was new, but I couldn't figure out how to get the sub or amp out to try and find it... got a project for when it warms up now!

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #32
Catspaw00
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the post, this is great information - especially since I was led to believe that I couldn't get to that subwoofer without a licensed mechanic. *snort*

Does anyone out there know how to hook up the stock SW and amp to an after-market stereo? The guys who installed my new system didn't bother, and when I pushed the issue, they told me that this stereo wouldn't run "a stock subwoofer like that." (please imagine the sneering, and condescending tones of voice)

Wiring is not my forte, so I'm at a bit of a loss on how to solve this.

-W
Catspaw00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #33
SirGCal

If they had simply wired up the remote-turn-on wire (and the speakers) from the new deck to the stock harness, it would be working already. As for them being so stupid to say something like that, I would never go back to that store again. It will, quite easily run the stock sub. For them to even think it wouldn't just shows how ignorant they are.

The stock harness wire in the TJ is the power antenna wire. Often they wire that up from the aftermarket head unit so your sub only works on AM/FM. Other half of the time they don't even wire that up. Wire the remote-turn-on wire to that wire and all will work (unless they blue the sub's fuse or something installing it).

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #34
Lifted_YJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring at head unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherAce View Post
Yup. Like I said, I'm not really into car audio. I just didn't like the idea of have a sub that didn't work.

That's beyond me.
Ace, great write up thanks.

Do you or anyone know how this is wired at the head unit. Picked up a 2003 TJ two weeks ago and it has the factory sub but did not appear to be working. Tonight I replaced the factory stereo with a JVC unit I had in my YJ. It has RCA jacks for connecting a subwoofer so I'm trying to figure out how to connect up the factory amp and sub and once I get it working I'll probably follow your write up to replace the sub.
Lifted_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #35
Lifted_YJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got my sub woofer working, sort of, the sub itself is blown. So this might help some people in the same boat. The previous owner had completely disconnected the sub and the 12 pin connector. They went into the enclosure and wired up their own speaker wire to the factory sub and who knows what they had it connected to, probably an external amp and that's what blew the sub.

So at first I figured just connect the connector and I'm good to go, no such luck. Because I had replaced the factory radio with a JVC head unit I had not conected a switched power lead. I used a Crutchfield harness, great product by the way, and on their diagram it has a blue wire labelled power antena (in a wrangler), so I had not hooked that up. Well that wire goes directly to pin 5 (lime green wire) on the sub woofer connector. Just hooked it up to a remote turn on lead coming from the JVC unit and the amp was working again, yeah!!!

Unfortunately that is what allowed me to find out the sub was blown but based on the other write-ups I would have replaced it anyway so my pyramid sub is on the way for less than $18 including shipping. A few hours of research and testing and $18 is not bad to get some decent low end sound.

I also picked up a set of VR3 Elite 3-way 5.25in speakers for the roll bar speaker pods, $40 at Walmart. I was going to buy a set of Infiniti Reference speakers from Crutchfield but but they were twice the price and the specs on these, while not as good at the Infinitis, was still pretty good. I may still spring for the 5.25in Infinitis for in the dash with a set of adapter brackets to switch from the 4x6 speakers.

I have the full wiring diagram for the sub woofer connector and when I pull it apart again to put the Pyramid Sub in I'll try and take a picture and post the diagram for everyone.
Lifted_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #36
AMA-JEEP
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent write up, needed to find these recently to replace the sub in my Rubi, and I went ahead and ordered me a tuffy center console, this will allow me to install a new 8" sub in it, I only wonder how will it sound not loud enough or maybe better than the 6.5" after market sub??
I'll try it, and once I get it done and I'll post pictures too.
AMA-JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #37
finsout
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did everything as written but no sound to the sub. Any ideas?
finsout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #38
SirGCal

stock sub? Is there sound on AM/FM, just not CD? If so, you used the wrong remote-turn-on wire for the trigger. Use the deticated one, not the power antenna. No sound at all? check the fuses for the sub's amp.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #39
finsout
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'll check on that. Here's what I did in case that helps: 1 removed the box and took out the old sub (factory) which had pretty much no cone left. this had 4 wires attached to it (a gray and brown on one connector and a black and red on the other) and I cut all 4. After grinding down the inside of the box to get the new JL 6 to fit, I attached the gray wire and the black per the write up but did not attach the red and brown wires. I didn't put the box back into the console tho since I wanted to test it before doing all that work. I'm assuming that it has something to do with the wiring so should I attach the red and brown wires too?
finsout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #40
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

anyone know if this is the same wiring for an 05 unlimited?
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #41
chall08
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i just recieved my console sub today and i don't know yet if i have the wiring to plug it in to under the cup holders or wherever it is from the factory, i'm almost positive i do not. so saying i don't what do i need to do to get the power from my head unit to the amp/sub.

any advice would be greatly appreciated and pictures would be awesome aswell
chall08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #42
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBlu974X4 View Post
anyone know if this is the same wiring for an 05 unlimited?
98-2000 same wiring
2001-2002 same
2003-2006 same

If you want the diagrams PM me your email and I will email the diagrams for all 3 set-ups. They are best understood when you are looking at the wiring.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #43
ehowell
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I tried replacing my factory woofer with the Pyramid WX-65X described in the write-up and followed the gray to + and black to - instructions, but no sound. The factory woofer worked (although blown), before the replacement. Anyone have any advice?
ehowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #44
srwebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehowell View Post
I tried replacing my factory woofer with the Pyramid WX-65X described in the write-up and followed the gray to + and black to - instructions, but no sound. The factory woofer worked (although blown), before the replacement. Anyone have any advice?
Same here, Only difference I was using an after market head unit which I installed before the WX-65X,,I hooked up the Power Ant. Blue to the wiring harness blue and it made noise,,,,I installed the Pyramid Sub,as in archers instructions wiring Gray to + black to -and NO sounddoes anyone know what I should do?...Besides trading my 2003 sport for a rubi??[my wife hates that idea] Thanks
srwebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #45
ehowell
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm using an aftermarket head unit too (Sony CDX GT330), but the factory woofer was working with it, so I know that it was wired properly to begin with. I guess I'll try red to + and black to - and see what happens, but I'm not looking forward to taking this thing out for the third time.
ehowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.