How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #421 of 433 Old 02-04-2017, 08:51 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Can someone confirm, whether I should be looking at 1ohm or 2ohm subs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 433 Old 02-05-2017, 06:15 PM
aogmitch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
I've narrowed down my thing to the kicker how ever I am unsure what the difference is between 40cwrt672 and 43cwrt672.

I am curious if these subs require a certain amount from the amp to run at all?

I'll shoot you a pm.
I believe the 43 is the newest version, as Crutchfied and Amazon show the 40 as unavailable. The 43 is a dual voice coil 1 ohm speaker as was the 40. I just ordered the 43 a couple days ago as my sub just failed this last week.

2004 Rubicon, 5-spd, RC 2.5" Lift w/RC 2.2 Shocks, 1.25" BL, MML, RC 2.2 Stabilizer, Currie Antirock, 33x12.5-15 BFG MT KMs on Black Steel Wheels, Highrock Rear Bumper, Warn Front Bumper, Warn M8000, A to Z Rocker Gaurds, Pioneer DEH P5000UB, Eclipse 4ch Amp, Infinity 6.5 and 5.5 Speakers, Factory Sub. More to come.
post #423 of 433 Old 02-05-2017, 06:35 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aogmitch View Post
Quote:
I've narrowed down my thing to the kicker how ever I am unsure what the difference is between 40cwrt672 and 43cwrt672.

I am curious if these subs require a certain amount from the amp to run at all?

I'll shoot you a pm.
I believe the 43 is the newest version, as Crutchfied and Amazon show the 40 as unavailable. The 43 is a dual voice coil 1 ohm speaker as was the 40. I just ordered the 43 a couple days ago as my sub just failed this last week.
You are right, the 43 is the new version. However the 672 is 2ohms. While the 671 is 1ohm.

I believe the stock unit is a 2ohm I hope someone can confirm?

post #424 of 433 Old 02-19-2017, 01:51 PM
Submarineaz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

great write up, I would have bought a dual voice coil sub if I had read this first. I ended up using red and black wires, but both wires powered the sub.
post #425 of 433 Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM
happy_gopher
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did the Pyramid 6.5" install this weekend. It sounds pretty good and this guide was very helpful.
However, I would have rather used a dual voicecoil speaker. Hindsight right? I just found this on Amazon Prime..AUDIOPIPE-TS-V6R
(my post count is too low to post the link, sorry)
For the price, I just might buy it and compare the two.
Happy_G

05 Rubicon, my third and final Jeep.
Gone:
2000 Cherokee, 1951 CJ3A
post #426 of 433 Old 02-20-2017, 01:36 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Can someone confirm how is the stock sub wired?

I am assuming its a 2ohm DVC sub that is wired in parallel for a 1ohm load? So I would be tieing the black to black wires, red to red.

And just tape off the other two?
xxdabroxx likes this.

post #427 of 433 Old 02-22-2017, 08:27 AM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Think I've answered my own question. Since the 43CWRT672 is a 2ohm Dual Voice Coil it gets wired the same way as the stock sub. No need to cut off/tape other wires. Since there was a lot of random guessing going on in some of these posts and no clear definition on what wire is what I went to test the old sub with a 9V battery and determined;

In order to find out exactly whats what take the 9V battery and touch the two tips on the sub and watch if the sub pushes AWAY or IN from the magnet. If it pushes out/away from magnet then you have polarity on battery matching polarity on the sub. If its pulls in then its flipped.

To then determine what wire is what if you look at the tabs on the wires themselves, 1 metal clip is bigger than the other so this helps you nail down which one goes over what post and eliminate if its positive or negative.

For my 05 LJ the 4 wires that were attached to the sub are;
Black - positive
Red - negative
White - positive
Brown - negative
aspider likes this.

post #428 of 433 Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 AM
GreenLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That's helpful, going to attempt this on my LJ soon. Thinking Kicker.

Quote:
Think I've answered my own question. Since the 43CWRT672 is a 2ohm Dual Voice Coil it gets wired the same way as the stock sub. No need to cut off/tape other wires. Since there was a lot of random guessing going on in some of these posts and no clear definition on what wire is what I went to test the old sub with a 9V battery and determined;

In order to find out exactly whats what take the 9V battery and touch the two tips on the sub and watch if the sub pushes AWAY or IN from the magnet. If it pushes out/away from magnet then you have polarity on battery matching polarity on the sub. If its pulls in then its flipped.

To then determine what wire is what if you look at the tabs on the wires themselves, 1 metal clip is bigger than the other so this helps you nail down which one goes over what post and eliminate if its positive or negative.

For my 05 LJ the 4 wires that were attached to the sub are;
Black - positive
Red - negative
White - positive
Brown - negative
post #429 of 433 Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well swapped in the kicker, after some trimming and polyfill I can vouch that the kicker makes quite a difference over the stock sub.

I know most on here are saying they couldn't compare between the two as their stock sub was blown when they got hold of their Jeep but I can say that my stock sub worked until a few months back. With this kicker in the sound is much deeper I find, also it doesnt rattle like the stock sub did if I turned up the music any.

Anyways some shots of it installed, pretty straight forward.

post #430 of 433 Old 02-28-2017, 10:55 AM
xxdabroxx
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Well swapped in the kicker, after some trimming and polyfill I can vouch that the kicker makes quite a difference over the stock sub.

I know most on here are saying they couldn't compare between the two as their stock sub was blown when they got hold of their Jeep but I can say that my stock sub worked until a few months back. With this kicker in the sound is much deeper I find, also it doesnt rattle like the stock sub did if I turned up the music any.

Anyways some shots of it installed, pretty straight forward.

What part number did you use? Nevermind, found it above. Looks good BTW.

post #431 of 433 Old 03-25-2017, 07:25 PM
hunter_ace

2001 wrangler tj se

here is the correct wiring for sub with relay.

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Pink/White
Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Pink
Car Radio Ground Wire: Chassis
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Orange
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: lime or light green

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/Red
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Violet

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/Yellow
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/White
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Red

The amp uses the rear speaker wires for a source the +/_ are the same color codes going into amp. the black/red is the 12 volt + from the relay, the black/white is the ground.

now as far as the colors on both of the voice coil inputs on the speaker i used a replacement kit so no problem with that for me .

But just for a bit of info all speakers are made with the same positive and neg orientation .

With terminals facing you looking down at magnet (or the rear of speaker) left should be negative, right should be positive.
smaller sized terminal is almost always neg.

i have not run across any speakers that do not follow the industry standard. I am sure there probably is though.

Hope this helps someone i just spent better part of few hrs figuring it out in my daughters jeep after her boyfriend tried to put a aftermarket stereo in and was baffled by the sub setup. he could not figure out why sub quit working.
aspider likes this.
post #432 of 433 Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 PM
brendend
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to dig up an old thread. For those who are running the kicker43cwrt672 how does is sound without an external amp? I have the pyramid sub in now and it sounds just like another speaker.
post #433 of 433 Old 05-12-2017, 08:31 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendend View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread. For those who are running the kicker43cwrt672 how does is sound without an external amp? I have the pyramid sub in now and it sounds just like another speaker.
The sub has some good kick for it considering its only fed with a 75watt stock amp. I had the stock sub which actually worked in my Jeep until just last fall when the cone separated and the bass is certainly deeper on the Kicker I find.

If my stock one hadn't broke I wouldn't of changed it, but if its dead yah its worth the money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.