How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #376
dbsanders

Installed the Pyramid today. Not as much bass output as stock (as expected), but better than it being blown.

dbsanders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #377
raif281
2001 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed
raif281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #378
CropDr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oTTo97Sahara View Post
Has anyone tried both the Kicker 1ohm and the quadratec replacement? which one sounds better?
I'm wondering the same thing. It looks like the Kicker 652 2 ohm has been discontinued, but you can still get the 651. I like the fact that the Kickers have more than 4 mounting holes...I figure 8 screws has to hold better than 4, especially since you are not going back in the OEM holes.

I don't know squat about car speekers...what difference does the ohm reading make?

Thanks.
CropDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #379
58WillysPickup

"Ohms" refers to the electrical reisistance of a speaker. You should never use a speaker with less than the minimum ohms your amplifier or stereo is designed to handle. It's okay to go higher (it will just reduce the volume) but never lower. The lower the ohms, the lower the resistance - "0" ohms would be like shorting your "+" and "-" speaker wires together. A 2 ohm speaker doesn't offer much more resistance than that, and if an amplifier is not designed to handle that kind of current it will quickly burn it up.

Regarding the 8 vs. 4 holes comment. Not wanting to try to screw into flimsy plastic, I simply cut the frame off the factory speaker to use as a mounting ring. This way I was able to use the MUCH stronger factory holes. A little trimming of the plastic spacer ring and it looks like stock (I used the el cheapo speaker because I was selling that Jeep, but should work on any of similar size). See the picture of the finished product here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...inal-instl.jpg
58WillysPickup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #380
CropDr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58WillysPickup;19644249 I simply cut the frame off the factory speaker to use as a mounting ring. This way I was able to use the MUCH stronger factory holes.

[url
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachments/f20/630464d1369459921-how-replace-factory-subwoofer-final-instl.jpg[/url]

Do you have a picture without the speaker cover on? Did you just "sandwich" the new speaker between the old mounting ring and the box?

Thanks.
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #381
mattadams05tj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So with the kicker 40cwrt671 the wiring is basically the same as stock 2 leads per coil?
mattadams05tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #382
raif281
2001 TJ Wrangler 

does anybody know the mounting depth for the enclosure is?

Last edited by raif281; 01-29-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #383
mattadams05tj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The 40cwrt671 is 2 3/4
mattadams05tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #384
raif281
2001 TJ Wrangler 

hey y'all my sub has lots of voice, like it sounds like it's just another speaker! what could cause this? all factory stuff
Unread 02-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #385
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does any soldering need to be done?
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #386
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No, but it wouldn't hurt.
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #387
jeepjunkytj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just did this on my 05. Mine had two extra mounting screws in the storage area of the compartment. Also nothing worked when I hooked up the gray and brown wires. Mine needed the red and black wires hooked up. Awsome write up though. I also found my pyramid sub woofer on eBay for $13.00 shipped.
jeepjunkytj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #388
focotj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you, OP, for a great guide and pictures. I did this yesterday in my '04, it took about 45 minutes total.

As someone mentioned above, I also had two screws inside the console securing the enclosure from the top. The red and black wires were already connected to mine, with the grey and brown taped off, so I just used those. Worked like a charm.
focotj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #389
58WillysPickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CropDr View Post
Do you have a picture without the speaker cover on? Did you just "sandwich" the new speaker between the old mounting ring and the box?

Thanks.
CropDr, sorry for the delay - been away for a while.

I put thin weatherstripping foam on the back of the speaker flange to get good seal. Then I sandwiched the speaker between the trim ring I made from the old speaker and the box. Finally I used high strength double sided adhesive tape to attach the grill ring. I did have to trim the height of the grill ring so it wouldn't hit the cover. Hope this helps.
1-cut-flange.jpg   2-add-gasket.jpg   3-install-box.jpg   4-add-ring.jpg  
58WillysPickup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #390
CropDr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just did mine the same way 58Willys did. Definatly the way to go....Sadly as I was tightening down the screws I sliped and put the screwdriver through the foam ring! I have some glew drying on it right now...hopefully I can save it!

I didn't bother with making the screen fit back over the speaker....I took some black felt and glued it to the inside of the arm rest housing. We will see how long it takes to fill with dust!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.