How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > How To Replace The Factory Subwoofer

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #346
58WillysPickup

Great info, just saved me a bunch of money and it sounds as good or better than stock!

Just in case anyone is interested, I was able to do this mod using the factory mounting holes (much stronger than the thin plastic) and the factory grill cloth. With a little more time invested you can take this install to factory quality. I just joined so I can't post a ton of pictures (I think), so if you want to see how it was done just let me know and I will be glad to share.

Here's the final result anyway (if it will post). If not, maybe someone else can upload it?

final-instl.jpg  
58WillysPickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:18 AM   #347
kg4wrq
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good work on the speaker. BTW, my Dad drove a '54 Willys pickup for many years. That was the vehicle that I learned to drive a manual transmission. - Tom R.
kg4wrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #348
58WillysPickup

Thanks, it took about 30 minutes longer but was worth it. I cut off and cleaned up the flange from the factory speaker to use for the mounting ring, and trimmed down the grill cloth ring to fit. The nice part is now any speaker can be swapped in that's close to the same size by reusing the modified pieces. The factory screw holes have a pocket or "boss" that allows much more thread contact and is several times stronger than mounting to the thin plastic too.

On the Willy's, I love the old Jeeps. They were rough riding and noisy but certainly had a ton of character, and definitely worth saving! - Mike
58WillysPickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #349
marc1kim
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you only have foam surround damage, and want to give your OEM sub longer life, you can repair your foam surround for about $6:

http://www.uneeksupply.com/2-65-Inch...r_p_25180.html

Unread 06-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #350
marc1kim
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I took everything apart yesterday, it was a quick and easy removal thanks to the write-ups on this thread. My sub was still in great shape, the foam surround had come unglued from the speaker frame. i glued it back with craft glue and then reinforced the bond with a layer of clear slilocone RTV. I plugged her back in and it's all good. Hopefully it holds up.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #351
oneslip
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to thank you all for the posts and especially the step by step photos on how to complete this project. A few weeks ago my factory sub blew and I thought, this isn't so bad I can deal with a little buzzing, after 2 weeks it was driving me bat sht crazy so I did some internet searching and came across this forum. After much reading I decided to go with the Kicker CVT652 and when I went to search for it, it has been discontinued so for kicks and grins I went to my local Audio Express store and they found 1 left in one of thier stores so I guess I got the last one. I'm thinking the Kicker 40CWRT671 is the best replacement for 652 and it is 6.75". I think I read it somewhere but this was my experience with the replacement project, don't forget about the 2 screws in the center tray. I did have trouble finding on the forums how exactly to wire the sub. One post said use Grey + and Black - so I tried that and nothing, I switched them around & nothing. What ended up working was just using red to red(+) and black to black(-). My overall impression of the Kicker is that it does sound better than the stock but I don't know that if nothing was wrong with my stock sub I would run out and replace it. I do feel the Kicker has more depth and might be a little cleaner than the stock. Just don't think if you do this replacement your going to get a thumpin system sound.
Thanks guys you saved me an installation charge and I got to have some fun doing the project myself although it took me about 2 hours to complete mainly because of trying different wiring combo's to get it to work and the interruption from the ATT people going door to door to get people to upgrade. These guys are relentless as they stopped by my house I bet 3 times that day. That's when I wish I lived on a farm. Thanks again, great forum!
oneslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #352
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think that red and black are backwards if you are using the oem amp. Also it takes lots of polyfil. I have the same speaker that I bought installed in an oem enclosure and was not impressed until I took it apart and added to the polyfil that was already there.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #353
odyssey017
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Iv been skipping though the 24 pages and Im trying to figure out if my sub or amp is the problem.

For the 3 years I have owned the jeep if you turn the radio up too loud when the sub would hit, it would lock up and stay on making noise. It doesn't matter if I turn it up or down. It will keep doing this in till I turn the radio off then back on. It has done it with both the factory and aftermarket radio. So far i have just turn the bass down on the radio and have lived with it. However with in the last couple days the sub is now cutting in and out at normal levels. I would like to hope this is the speaker but I don't know much and I'm guessing its the amp too.
odyssey017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #354
brewc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any idea what type of glue that is used? They want an extra $25 for a tube of glue and set of instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1kim View Post
If you only have foam surround damage, and want to give your OEM sub longer life, you can repair your foam surround for about $6:

http://www.uneeksupply.com/2-65-Inch...r_p_25180.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txOp_jZN-H8
brewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #355
vonulm
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My factory sub has 4 wires going to it. Are you saying I should just eliminate 2 of them?
vonulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #356
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes. But not just any 2 look at the early diagrams/pics. When the 4 wires are connected to sub terminals (2 terminals per voice coil) it lowers the ohm load on the amp. Less terminals higher amp load. At least as far as most of the replacements are concerned. What sub are you using?
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #357
vonulm
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a cheap Pyle PLG64 Woofer. Rated at 4ohms.
vonulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #358
amc2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewc View Post
Any idea what type of glue that is used? They want an extra $25 for a tube of glue and set of instructions.
A couple threads on AudioKarma recommend Aileene's tacky glue for the foam. Cheap, Wal-Mart.
amc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #359
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've used it for other things, it's like Elmer's but thicker and you can make puddles that dry all the way through instead if staying squishy inside. If you have some hard as nails you could probably use that. I've used that for other speaker surrounds and to hold various foam pieces.
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #360
oTTo97Sahara
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone tried both the Kicker 1ohm and the quadratec replacement? which one sounds better?

Has anyone replaced the factory amp with a small mono amp in the same location? I have not torn mine apart yet so i do not know what kind of space is in there... would that even be possible?

Cheers
oTTo97Sahara is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.